2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions..

So I have been driving the truck around a lot lately, and everything appears to be running extremely smooth. The differential doesn't make noise, and feels to be perfect. I just got back from a 150 mile long trip. About 100 miles of highway driving, and 50 miles of backroads. The truck did really well actually, and it powered it's way down the highway at a modest 75-80 mph getting 17mpg. The only thing that makes riding in this truck for long distances uncomfortable, are the loud mud tires. Once I get those all-terrains, the truck should really drive like a normal vehicle, minus the loud exhaust, but I love that part[8D]

Anyway, here is my question. The transmission, has been treating me very nicely. It doesn't skip around like the old transmission, and does very well with higher speeds. BUT, my only complaint with the transmission, is how it shifts into overdrive. If for instance, I am merging onto the highway, the truck will shift great out of first, and second. Then once it gets into third gear it will be humming along. As I'm accelerating, I can hear that the truck is wanting to shift into overdrive. If I let off the gas, it will shift into overdrive without any thumps, but then I loose momentum which sucks. However, if I continue to apply pressure to the gas pedal and shift into 4th gear or overdrive, the truck will make a pretty drastic shake before it will shift into overdrive. In other words, it doesn't have a smooth change into overdrive unless I'm either light on the gas pedal, or let off to let it shift in. I'm going to be dropping the truck off in a couple weeks with the transmission shop. They had wanted me to drop it with them so they could check everything over to make sure it's running right and that there weren't any leaks. I plan to ask them about it, but before I do, wanted to know if it's something I can do, or if it's worth asking them to see if they can adjust something to make the shift into overdrive a little more seamless and less drastic. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM
CySlyde
Professional
Default RE: Couple questions..

If i remember correctly thats a valve sticking... not 100% on that, but I seem to remember someone telling me about that some time ago when I still worked in the shops....

on a side note why do these forums hate firefox??? [:@]

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firefox seems to work okay for me what problems are you having?

That doesn't sound normal at all but neither did half your other complaints about it even though the shop inisist they are. I went out and checked my truck after you saying it went into OD around 45. If I drive normally thats about when mine shifts. If I keep applying gas it stays in 3rd unless I'm not on the gas enough to keep it in 3rd. If it does shift into od it shifts fine. Sometimes a little hard like the 1st to 2nd shift but not like a shaking. I'm thinking the little hard is the shift kit but it doesn't make the truck shake or anything. It does seem to go into OD around the time yours does but it doesn't bother me because if I'm not on the gas hard OD is fine and if I'm on the gas fairly hard it doesn't go into OD.

If it just is a firm or little hard shift pretty sure it's normal with a shift kit but I don't think it should be shaking.

You need to find out what you have in there so we can tell you more. I mean we don't even know for sure that you have a shift kit but I'm assuming you do since it sounds like it from the way you say it shifts hard.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Are you having problems running firefox? I run firefox and don't have an issue. Is it just slow or something?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Firefox seems to work okay for me what problems are you having?

That doesn't sound normal at all but neither did half your other complaints about it even though the shop inisist they are. I went out and checked my truck after you saying it went into OD around 45. If I drive normally thats about when mine shifts. If I keep applying gas it stays in 3rd unless I'm not on the gas enough to keep it in 3rd. If it does shift into od it shifts fine. Sometimes a little hard like the 1st to 2nd shift but not like a shaking. I'm thinking the little hard is the shift kit but it doesn't make the truck shake or anything. It does seem to go into OD around the time yours does but it doesn't bother me because if I'm not on the gas hard OD is fine and if I'm on the gas fairly hard it doesn't go into OD.
Hm, I'm just not sure if it's normal or not. Like you said, if I am lightly cruising in 3rd gear, it will go in to overdrive smooth. But if I am holding the gas pedal down up until it's about to shift into overdrive, it will stutter. The stutter usually gets more intense depending upon how much throttle I have into the gas pedal before it shifts into third. It's usually why I will kind of let off a little before it shifts into overdrive so it won't stutter, but then I'll loose the momentum which can suck sometimes. Usually it's not a problem, I can just let off, but when I'm just trying to gain some quick acceleraiton onto the highway, you really don't have time to let off the gas at 43mph so it can shift smoothly into overdrive, but on the other hand I hate making the truck do the shutter into overdrive. Once I get into overdrive, the truck is pretty weak from 45-55mph, then once it gets going it drives very nicely. But getting into overdrive usually isn't smooth if I have any acceleration going into the shift. Just wasn't sure if this was normal or not. And wanted to know if this is something I should mention to the transmission shop when I drop it with them in a couple of weeks.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I would for sure mention it to them and if they say it's normal tell them to explain to you what makes it do that. Does your truck not kick down out of OD if you get on the gas? Mine kicks down out of OD if I'm in it and hit the gas or if I'm accelerating to get on the highway it probably isn't going to go into OD until I let up on the gas some as long as I have it down a little ways and if it does go into OD and I push it down again it kicks back out of OD so I have some power. I mean it being into OD isn't a pain in my truck like you make yours sound. Too bad we aren't closer so you could ride in mine and see how it is or I could ride in yours to see if it's really a problem.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah, like my truck always wants to shift into overdrive. It won't let me stay in third very long. If I'm trying to get onto the highway my truck won't stay in third, it will want to shift out and into overdrive. That's why I usually go slow into overdrive, or go full throttle. A medium throttle in third gear doesn't exist. It would just want to shift into overdrive and not stay into third. If I'm in overdrive and floor it, it will respond nicely and kickdown to explode. But if I'm in third gear, it pretty much wants to shift into overdrive once I get to 40mph. I'll be humming along at medium throttle in 3rd gear, then power will drop and it will shift into overdrive. It's not that big of a deal, but I paid alot of money to be happy with this truck, so I just either need to know if it's normal, or if it needs to be fixed. I never remembered the truck stuttering to get into overdrive with the old transmission. This transmission is infantly stronger than the old transmission, but it does have some characterisitcs about it that I don't particulary care for (the hard shift out of first gear, and the stutter and loss of power going into overdrive). I'm not sure if it's normal or not. The other transmission shop that looked at it said the transmission was "stronger than my truck". They said it was more built than the truck. He said it was overbuilt so it could tolerate the bigger tires and if I ever decided to keep building the engine up. He also said the truck would more than likely not drive like a stock transmission because it was overbuilt. With this said, it seems to me that there should be a way to kind of tone the transmission down to match the power of the truck. It's really not that big of a deal, but still just looking to see if it's normal or not for the truck to stutter into overdrive if I have gas going into it.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

better hope thats not slipage you are feeling ... with my shift kit 1st and 2nd are quick 3rd holds a tad longer then OD at 55 mph ,

Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah, that's what it feels like. Like it's struggling to shift into overdrive. As you said, first and second gear go through relatively quick. Then third gear kind of extends a little longer. Then I can hear when it wants to shift out. If I let off it will go into overdrive. If I continue to hold the pedal down though, it will stutter/slip into overdrive. Is this something that can be adjusted at all? Any reason a brand new transmission would do that?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

1st thing comes to mind is your trans cable , maybe you pump it up to much and now has alot of pressure , maybe back it off just a tad and see if it helps... pressure in reverse , and 1st gear should be at 120 lbs had mine at 360 lbs OUCH !!!! BACK HER OFF !!!! what im saying is to much pressure will cause issues , fluid level good ? is there a good color to the fluid ?? smell good ??? what kind of shift kit is in there ???

Quick Reply: Couple questions..