2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008 | 03:34 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Default RE: New Direction

Is this thing done yet?

Old 05-21-2008 | 09:57 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

Wow, quite the story today. Firstly, the truck is lowered back down sitting on 35s and it actually still looks high, but I still don't have the truck in my possession...

Today they finsished the truck, and they said I could come and get it. So when I got there, I was a little shocked, but it still looked cool. Anyways, I get there and I see it has four new ugly blue shocks on it from Napa. So that right there pissed me off because I had already ordered some nice silver Monroe shocks from VIP. Then, get this. I get the bill. And it says $830!! Ok guys I've gone through a lot of ****, and today wasn't the day to test me. So I said to the main guy, I was like where is Neal?! I go track Neal down in the garage and I flipped out on him and said it was rediculous. I said he smucked me, and that I was expecting $500 tops. So I walked away from him and went back inside to talk to Matt and told him how pissed I was and that I expected $500 at a max. He started to stumble and said ok ok we will take care of that. I then told him if Neal had called me and said I needed new shocks I could have told him that I already had boughten new shocks. But they didn't even call me about the shocks, they just put them on without even talking to me. So I said I wanted the ****ty napa shocks off and my Monroe's put on. So he said go to VIP and bring them the silver shocks. I got the monroe shocks, and brought them back to the shop. They minues the napa shocks off the bill and gave me free labor to put the monroes on. I got them to put the price to $400.25. I made them cute more than half the price, and I was really proud of myself. I told them I wasn't ever going back to them again and that they just burnt our bridge for smucking me like that. So tomorrow morning they are wrapping up the shocks so I can get the truck back. Then bringing it to VIP to put the new 285 tires on. Man I just can't believe these mechanics, just one after another. No more nice guy, they just can't handle it. They don't understand the importance of being consistent with repeat customers. Most mechanics are retards, and there is a reason they are mechanics, because they are mildy retarded. I'm glad I owned those ******** today, they would have easily accepted me writing a $830 check to just pop out a coil spacer and an AAL. Anyway, another dreadful story, but isn't that **** crazy guys? Uhh, can't beleive this ****.

Old 05-21-2008 | 10:47 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

God damn dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job on standing up for ur self, you sure have alot of practice by now.

400 some odd $ is way too much IMO to just intstall shocks and take out a AAL and spacers. That is like **** work.
You should of done it your self and saved your self the money, but thats up to you I guess.

Old 05-21-2008 | 10:55 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Awesome job on setting them straight. Hey man make sure they give you the coil spacer back and maybe even the AAL you can sell them both for a decent amount of money. I would make sure they gave them back to me instead of them making money off of them.

I think you did a great job handling this. It just seems like you can't have any luck with mechanics. I think I had one of your type experiences with a tint shop. It wasn't too fun. Anyway glad to hear you got the price down and I can't wait to see some pictures. Did it look good with the 35"s at stock height? I can't believe they would try to do that with the shocks. I would have really gone off too. Luckily I've found a decent mechanic that I used to work for. The guys dad closed his shop and now works at that one and imo and a lot of others he is one of the best mechanics around so luckliy I use him for most of my work. I have another 2 shops in that town that seem to be okay but I had a few issues with one of them but they seem to be okay too. They are all in the same area one might be in a different town but it's just a few miles down the road from the other two. Around here in the town I live though there just doesn't seem to be very good mechanics. One is okay but the rest I've dealt with haven't been very good.

I agree I think a lot of mechanics aren't the best. I just don't understand it as if I owned a business my customer happiness would be the number 1 priority.

Was this the first time you used this shop? Do you have many more left to try?

$400 seems like an awful lot for the amount of time they originally quoted you. What do they charge an hour? Anyway while it seems like a lot for those hours it doesn't sound all that unreasonable for the job to me.

Old 05-21-2008 | 11:57 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

They charge $75 an hour. I think it was 3.75 hours of labor, and then whatever left for parts. But they left the spacers, AALs and rear shocks in the back of the truck. I've gone to this shop in the past. I am an idiot though. They were the shop that took my rear end apart and tried getting me to put a new axle on the truck. They were the only shop that would take the lift out though, all the other mechanics were pansies. I thought Neal, one of the mechanics there was going to help me out though. He was the mechanic that came to my house and helped me put that rear end together. But then he threw me under the bus and charged me with an $830 bill. I dug right into him and said how disapointed I was that he did that to me. I told him I will never bring my truck back there again and that they lost all of my business. I bitched Matt out right in front of the other customers and made him lower the price way down. I'm still pissed too. He told me they were going to put my silver shocks on and get the napa ones off by tonight. He said he'd leave the key in the truck and for me to get it later tonight. I paid them the $400. I went to go get it tonight after I got out of work. And I get there, and my truck isn't out in the parking lot. It's sitting inside their garage, and the blue shocks are still on the god damn truck. So now I have to go back up there in the morning. I'm demanding them to put the shocks on right then and there because I have a tire appointment at VIP at 8am. I also already paid those bastards and they didn't finish my truck. Sucks now too because Matt, the head guy there is gone. And Neal, the trader mechanic, is running the place for the next three days. So now I have to deal with his bull****. I am not leaving until they do the job right then and there. It's just too bad. I am a really nice guy, but I don't let people mess with me. If you want to jerk me off, then I'll **** you right back. He burned the final bridge right there, and it's just too bad. I got to deal with these idiots, and then I have to go back to the transmission shop and deal with those ****ing idiots. They will have nothing on me now because I will have 285s on the truck, which basically came stock on the truck. So if overdrive stutters after the 285s, they will be hearing from me. As for the looks of the truck, it actually still looks pretty high suprisingly. I can't wait to get into her once she's all prepped up with the new smooth tires and fresh new monroe silver shocks. She's going to ride and look new, and I'm very happy. But first I have to deal with more bull****.

Old 05-22-2008 | 12:17 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah the ones I've seen stock with the offroad package still look pretty nice height wise to me. That seems about right price wise then. Labor must be a little higher there than it is here. I think the shop I deal with I used to work for charges $60 an hour and the others in that town seem to be somewhere around there.

Hopefully you like it and I can't wait to see pictures and hear how you like it.

I wonder what the hold up is with the shocks as it's like a 30 minute job maybe an hour max if you work fast. You don't have to remove the wheels or jack the truck up or anything. It's like 2 nuts per shock. It's super easy and if you have an impact gun which I assume they do it should be a super fast job. Hopefully you will get it back in the morning.

Hopefully you will be able to find a good shop somewhere.

Old 05-22-2008 | 01:36 AM
sbrunn9
Veteran

Sounds like you really get screwed over with mechanics. I never thought it was that difficult to find a good one. But I guess I'm lucky my Dad had an excellent mechanic that always worked on his cars so I just use him. Real nice guy comes to my house to help me out if I have a problem, tells me if I'm having him do a job he thinks I can do myself then lets me use his tools to do it, and delivers my truck back to my house when he's done with a job. He's a gret mechanic he was actually on a penske pit crew for awhile. I'm also lookin forward to the stock offroad height with 35's pics. That should look pretty sweet.

BTW neon you made it into my sig, congratulations lol

Old 05-22-2008 | 10:01 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I don't know if it has been discussed, but why didn't you just do the shocks yourself? They are an extremely easy thing to install?

I honestly can't beleive the experiences you have with shops. You would save yourself so much time, hassle, stress, and $$$ if you just did the work yourself.

Can't wait to see pics of it lowered. I think the 35's are going to rub like hell, but sounds like you have plans to get smaller tires put on too, so should be ok.

Old 05-22-2008 | 10:41 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

I could bought a harley with the mount you spent , and paid it off already...

Old 05-22-2008 | 11:24 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

But we all know you would have bought a moped instead.

Quick Reply: New Direction