2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oh where, oh where has my antifreeze gone???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oh where, oh where has my antifreeze gone???

If it were the heater core, you may not notice the leak but you would notice the smell if you cranked your heat or defrost up. Mine was leaking but the carpet never felt wet.
From above, I'd also look around the neck on the top of the engine where your tstat is. You wouldn't normally see a leak there cause it's so burried. If it's all white under and around there, that might be it too.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM
timsalas
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compression test should be between 145 and 170ish I think on each cyclender.. And I think anything +-10 PSI might be sign for concern.. Mine were about 150ish, but I didnt do it while WOT, so I figure thats why mine were slightly low.. and I didnt disable the fuel

Old 05-29-2008, 04:06 PM
justneed2
Rookie

Thanks for all the responses, I definitely have some new avenues to pursue.

I'm going to try some of your suggestions this weekend. Hopefully one of them will lead me to an answer and in turn a fix.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 AM
justneed2
Rookie

Well, despite my best efforts I still wasn't able to track down the leak.... that is until this morning on my way to work. As I'm cruising down the road, all of a sudden (literally) it was like a flood gate opened and my passenger side foot well got drenched with antifreeze.

So looks like those that suggested the heater core were correct.

I found a thread on here somewhere that was a DIY article for replacing the heater core, so I am going to tackle that here ASAP. Does anyone know if there are any special tools needed, or have any additional insight that may be useful for this job? I've never tried this before, so any and all help would be appreciated.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aubrey

If it were the heater core, you may not notice the leak but you would notice the smell if you cranked your heat or defrost up. Mine was leaking but the carpet never felt wet.
From above, I'd also look around the neck on the top of the engine where your tstat is. You wouldn't normally see a leak there cause it's so burried. If it's all white under and around there, that might be it too.
Not always. My heater core had several small pinholes in it and no smell.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest thing you're going to need is patience. I didn't have it to do mine.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: justneed2

Well, despite my best efforts I still wasn't able to track down the leak.... that is until this morning on my way to work. As I'm cruising down the road, all of a sudden (literally) it was like a flood gate opened and my passenger side foot well got drenched with antifreeze.

So looks like those that suggested the heater core were correct.

I found a thread on here somewhere that was a DIY article for replacing the heater core, so I am going to tackle that here ASAP. Does anyone know if there are any special tools needed, or have any additional insight that may be useful for this job? I've never tried this before, so any and all help would be appreciated.

Go to the top of this forum and you'll find the DIY info there. Read it first and then study the pictures. Make certain that you have plenty of patience and take your time. It is an involved process that when repeated would go much faster. Buttoning everything back togther goes quicker. Oh, get the original style brass heater core from someone like Rock Auto rather than the aluminum replacement. The brass heater core comes with the foam wrap around it (you'll understand when you get the old one out) so it fits nice and snug. I've got a thread around here somewhere with pics I took of my old heater core and the new one.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:06 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

I dont think RockAuto has the brass. I did mine about 2 weeks ago, and ordered the 101 dollar heater core, thinking it would be brass. Nope, it's aluminum. If you use RockAuto, call them or just get the cheaper one as I kinda got screwed. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE. Taking apart the dash stuff is the hardest, because of the tight spaces. Then, when you hold your toungue just right and say the correct amount of cuss words, you'll have just enough sliding room to pull the old HC out and insert the new one back in.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: kowboydmac

I dont think RockAuto has the brass. I did mine about 2 weeks ago, and ordered the 101 dollar heater core, thinking it would be brass. Nope, it's aluminum. If you use RockAuto, call them or just get the cheaper one as I kinda got screwed. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE. Taking apart the dash stuff is the hardest, because of the tight spaces. Then, when you hold your toungue just right and say the correct amount of cuss words, you'll have just enough sliding room to pull the old HC out and insert the new one back in.
This is the brass heater core from Rock Auto: FOUR SEASONS Part # 94466

Just another example of how I totally rock.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Well I got screwed. I ordered the recommended four seasons heater core, but it was alluminum when I got it.

Quick Reply: Oh where, oh where has my antifreeze gone???