2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oh where, oh where has my antifreeze gone???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
timsalas
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oh where, oh where has my antifreeze gone???

LOL any job is a DIY job if your willing to put the effort

Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

ORIGINAL: justneed2

Other than being time consuming, it was actually fairly easy.
That's pretty much the way most heater cores are. Just lots of time. The Dodges (Ram, Dakota/Durango) are probably some of the easiest; Expeditions/F-150's and Explorers are a royal PITA.

My core was definitely cracked, but i am still having a leaking issue, so a buddy is coming over to help me pressure test the rest of the system tonight. I'll let you know what I find during the pressure test in case someone may find it helpful in the future.
Check around the timing cover where it meets the block. Common failure point, and it's hot enough in there that the coolant usually doesn't make it to the ground until the gasket really lets go.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 PM
krs7272
Rookie

I was going to say heater core could be as the heater box is bolted together horizontally so I would need to fill up quite a bit before actually leaking

Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
justneed2
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Sixtysixdeuce

My core was definitely cracked, but i am still having a leaking issue, so a buddy is coming over to help me pressure test the rest of the system tonight. I'll let you know what I find during the pressure test in case someone may find it helpful in the future.
Check around the timing cover where it meets the block. Common failure point, and it's hot enough in there that the coolant usually doesn't make it to the ground until the gasket really lets go.

The post-assembly leak turned out to be a quick fix once we were able to pressurize the system. The hose clamps must have stretched when i removed them where the lines connect to the heater core, and they were not sealing properly. So I took them off and used pliers to "make them small again" Seems to have worked like a charm!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:09 PM
justneed2
Rookie

One last problem....

After reassembling the dash and buttoning everything up I've discovered that my shift lever (on the column - I've got an auto) no longer matches up with the gear indicator on the dash.

Basically when I'm in drive my dash shows that I'm in reverse
When my dash shows I'm in Drive the truck is actually in 1

Everything worked fine prior to me ripping the dash out, so I am guessing... well actually I don't know what I'm guessing.

Any thoughts, guesses, fixes???

Old 07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a cable that can be adjusted, but since it was fine before, you either ruined or stretched it or didn't rout it back correctly. Did you disconnect it it when you took the dash out?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
justneed2
Rookie

ORIGINAL: zman17

There is a cable that can be adjusted, but since it was fine before, you either ruined or stretched it or didn't rout it back correctly. Did you disconnect it it when you took the dash out?
Yea I was afraid of the ruining or stretching aspect of things

I didn't think to remove or unhook it when I was swinging the dash away from the windshield. But I'm glad to hear these trucks use a cable rather than a rod.

I'll try and climb under there after work tonight, but in the meantime if anyone else has any input, I'd welcome it.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well if you didn't disconnect it during the procedure , you damgaged it or the bracket it goes around is bent or broke.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 AM
fordguywithadodge

I just wanted to comment on the coolant leak issue. Noone mentioned the keep it simple/back to basics methodology of tracking something like this down. Active leaks you will see no matter what. The very next step would have been a cooling system pressure test. Guess what? If the cooling system(your radiator/block/hoses/etc... )tested fine, you still need to test the cap separately. I am new to the Dodge scene, but I can tell you that 90% of my coolant loss issues in the past were due to failed radiator caps. I have also suffered mass coolant loss(no OBVIOUS sign of a leak) due to a warped block deck and all the compression being pushed into the cooling system and dumping through and out the recovery tank. Someone mentioned "think of what 160psi will do to a radiator". I can only imagine, but it is VERY unlikely as the 13 or 15 or whatever psi your sytem's cap is will start to allow coolant dump right after the system goes beyond it's psi rating. My 2 cents, so maybe not worth too much these days!! HA!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:22 PM
DubJr

My 2000 5.9 was leaking slowly from the timing cover gasket between the cover and the block in the upper left corner facing from the front. My coolant was going down and I started to get worried, especially after the temp gage jumped. Luckily I had Prestone (not dex cool) and limped home. The cover gasket actually sprayed a small stream out to the passenger side all over. $41 for the whole gasket set. No problems since, knock on wood..

Forgot to mention what a great help I had on this forum for torque figures and pictures that made my life easier. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Oh where, oh where has my antifreeze gone???