2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Band adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM
eflores
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Band adjustment

Are there any tranny guys in here? What is band adjustment used for and how do i know if mine will need it or not. i'm about to service my tranny (im at 100k miles) and i know the rear band is only accesable with the pan removed, figure this would be a good time to do this if i need it. this is what chrysler says from alldatapro

FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENT
The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.
[*]Raise vehicle.[/ol] Front Band Adjustment Screw Location
[*]Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.[*]Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 Nm (72 inch lbs.) torque with Inch Pound Torque Wrench C-3380-A, a 3-in. extension and 5/16 socket.[/ol] Band Adjustment Adapter Tool

CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw, tighten the screw to only 5 Nm (47-50 inch lbs.) torque.

46RE Transmission [*]Back off front band adjusting screw 2-7/8 turns.[*]Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.[/ul]47RE Transmission [*]Back off front band adjusting screw 1-7/8 turns.[*]Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 43 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.[/ul][*]Lower vehicle.[/ol]REAR BAND ADJUSTMENT
The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw.
[*]Raise vehicle.[*]Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.[*]Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.[/ol] Rear Band Adjustment Screw Location
[*]Tighten adjusting screw to 8 Nm (72 inch lbs.) torque. 46RE Transmission [/ol][ul][*]Back off adjusting screw 2 turns.[*]Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) torque.[/ul][/ul]47RE Transmission [*]Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.[*]Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) torque.[/ul][*]Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 Nm (13 ft. lbs.) torque.[*]Lower vehicle and refill transmission with MOPAR ATF+4, Type 9602 fluid.[/ol]

Old 05-27-2008, 03:28 PM
pipeking
Veteran
Default RE: Band adjustment

what does this do?

Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM
eflores

adjust the front and rear bands in your transmission

Old 05-27-2008, 05:43 PM
eflores

note to those who read the FSM before doing their tranny filter.....1.5 qts or 3 pts is what it says....try about 5 quarts

Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a way to check to see if they need adjusting without doing this? I thought Wanye told me it was something you could pull down with your hand and see how far it came down and that should tell you if they need adjusting or not. I may call and ask him again and more about it when I change my fluid and check them but for right now I would probably forget again by then.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:46 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Is there a way to check to see if they need adjusting without doing this? I thought Wanye told me it was something you could pull down with your hand and see how far it came down and that should tell you if they need adjusting or not. I may call and ask him again and more about it when I change my fluid and check them but for right now I would probably forget again by then.
My grandpa said something to the same effect when I was taking the trans out of my truck.
Of course, I forgot it all too.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The bands control the 1-2 shift firmness and the 2-3 shift firmness. If you aren't having any shifting issues, leave them be. There's been more than one story here of a guy that adjusted the bands of a perfectly fine shifting truck as a part of "routine maintenance" and the truck never acted right afterward, or their tranny took a dump on them afterward. If you loosen the adjustment bolt too much and drop the tranny band anchor, you'll have to pull the valve body to reinstall it. That means you'll be chasing spings and little metal ***** all over your garage.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. My $0.02.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM
eflores

i dont think that is my problem...i think my torque converter took a ****. all my gears act fine shift fine no slippage....i just cant do a burn out on dry concrete to save my life....maybe its just the 3 ton 4wd truck and a swinky little 318 idk but i think a torque converter is my next thing...i refuse to give up on my trans especially after i saw little shavings and non burnt oil in my pan today

Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 PM
lizardhunt

Don't feel bad about the burn out issue. I have only been able to break mine free a couple of times (basically in a turn). I have the 3/4 ton with 8.0 V10 (488) with 4.10 gears. I should be able to eat the tires off of the truck and throw an impressive firework displayas Itear up the rims.

I thought about torque converter.Before I go there I'm going to play with exhaust a little. See if more breathing helps out some.

My old 318 in a Ramcharger with 3.90s could break 35inch BF GoodrichMTsloose onthe asphault...exspensive so I didn't do it much.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:40 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: eflores

i dont think that is my problem...i think my torque converter took a ****. all my gears act fine shift fine no slippage....i just cant do a burn out on dry concrete to save my life....maybe its just the 3 ton 4wd truck and a swinky little 318 idk but i think a torque converter is my next thing...i refuse to give up on my trans especially after i saw little shavings and non burnt oil in my pan today
HUH ?? , Your doing it all wrong , put the truck in (N) REV THE TRUCK UP TO 4500 RPM THEN DROP IT IN GEAR ..Let me know how that works for ya..

Quick Reply: Band adjustment