2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Windows Inop

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008 | 09:51 AM
thewrench
|
Default Power Windows Inop

00' 2500 Quad Cab...

Both of them worked fine, ran them down,moved the truck, shut it off.

5 Minutes later...

Start the truck, moved it back, rolled the windows up, then knoticed a fly in the truck, went to roll them down again. NOTHING! Drivers and passangers side. From the drivers master switch block or the passanger switch, neither window moves. I don't even hear the relay click...

This happen to anyone? I always roll them up & down together, sometimes knotice the passanger
is slower, did I cook the relay? Were is the window relay?

HELP!!! I haven't figured out my a/c problem yet, I need to have working windows.

-Wrench

Old 06-29-2008 | 11:06 AM
thewrench
|
Default RE: Power Windows Inop

Just to add, the fuse box on the driver side of the dash has something marked pwer wnd location 20, yet theres nothing installed in that spot? I took the driver door panel off, and both switches are plugged in on the driver side...

Old 06-29-2008 | 04:41 PM
thewrench
|

Really need some help guys...

Old 06-29-2008 | 08:59 PM
Timb75
Rookie

The fuse for your windows is 13, at least that's the fuse on my 2000 1500 QC. It's a shared fuse with your doorlocks. Do your power door locks still work? If not check fuse 13. If it's not that I'd check for a short.

Old 06-29-2008 | 09:21 PM
thewrench
|

yeah, power door locks still work. guess tomorrow i'll get the multi meter out and start checkin stuff...

-Wrench

Old 06-30-2008 | 02:45 AM
Timb75
Rookie

Oh, I also forgot to tell you there is a circuit breaker for the windows as well. I have no idea where it is but I've heard it's down by the E-brake. Each motor is Equipped with a separate circuit breaker in addition to the fuse or circuit breaker protecting the whole circuit. Try finding them and reseting the windows.

Old 06-30-2008 | 08:46 AM
thewrench
|

ORIGINAL: Timb75

Oh, I also forgot to tell you there is a circuit breaker for the windows as well. I have no idea where it is but I've heard it's down by the E-brake. Each motor is Equipped with a separate circuit breaker in addition to the fuse or circuit breaker protecting the whole circuit. Try finding them and reseting the windows.
That sounds like my issue. Guess i'll have to consult the chilton's to find were they're hiding the
breaker.Just threw me for a loop that location 20 on the driver side dash fuse panel is marked pwr wnd, yet theres nothing installed in that place....hmmm.

-wrench

Old 06-30-2008 | 02:03 PM
thewrench
|

OK, so Haynes repair manuals suck. they have no use full info on power windows systems.

Anyone know where the breaker or relay is to control the power windows? I'm striking out here...

-Pat

Old 06-30-2008 | 04:27 PM
Timb75
Rookie

Yeah Haynes is helpful but more times then not it falls short of helpful. Looks like thethe breaker might be in the distribution center under the hood. Should be a black box next to the battery with fuses in it. Look at page "12-2" of Haynes, Diagram 3.1b. The top right picture. Should look like that. Also read Section 3: "fuses" and section 5: "circuit breakers". Being an electrician I can tell you that more times then not when something like this trips there is a pretty good reason why. Hard part though is finding it. Sometimes electronics can trip for no reason though. Your best bet is reset the breaker (if it's not fried). If still no luck your going to have some hell looking for the problem.

Old 07-01-2008 | 05:08 PM
thewrench
|

The story is gettin even deeper. I even went out to get a chiltons manual to see if I could be a vehc specific wire diagram to start tracing stuff. I seems the wires in my truck don't jive with the diagram in chiltons, and as i said before, i have no breaker or fuse in location 20 on the side dash power box, so.... i'm starting to think either someone retrofitted the power windows and door locks, so maybe swapped a set of doors from a truck that did have the power options. Guess I should check into the vin. If anyones ever had it all apart, please help. I can clearly trace a ribon cable type harness from one door to the other, runs along the bottom of the dash, had a red,green and black wire in it. It just doesn't seem stock to me, but yet again, i deal w/ german cars all day. They run all power/signal to windows & doors via bus messages on 1 wire!

-Wrench

Quick Reply: Power Windows Inop