2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installed new headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installed new headers

So back when I did my plenum repair/intake mod, I noticed that I had a small exhaust leak on my driver side header (Edelbrock shorties) where the primary tubes come together in the collector. I didn't really have time to fix it then, so I bought some exhaust puddy and patched it. That lasted a few months, and then the leak was back again. Then, a few weeks ago when I went camping, I noticed the leak got a lot louder suddenly. Well, here's why. One of the primaries completely cracked all the way around (see pic).

So, I bought a new set of Edelbrocks, and installed them tonight with new Remflex gaskets. Here's a pic of the new driver side header freshly installed. I went with the Edelbocks again because I have been very happy with them overall. The first set was on my truck for 3 years. From what i've read, that's pretty normal for what you can expect out of an aftermarket header. The ceramic coating held up very well that entire time, and I never had any leaks at the head until this tube cracked. They are a good price too compared to most ceramic headers on the market.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installed new headers

You arent interested in selling your old headers, are you? If so, what would you see as a reasonable price?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

Is it possible to weld those headers? Thats what i would have done

Old 07-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Might be possible. I really didn't want to mess with the hassle for 3 year old headers.
Haven't really thought about selling these. I'll think about it. If I did, you could have them for shipping, i'm not looking to make money on them. Just need to decide if I want to get rid of them or not. They are in my spare parts bin right now.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:14 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New ones look great but 3yrs, ouch, thats an expensive maintenance program

Old 07-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

since youve got ur engine open, maybe its time to slap on a 408 stroker kit

Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

New ones look great but 3yrs, ouch, thats an expensive maintenance program

Yes it is. That's why I keep the stock manifolds and haven't upgraded to headers yet. I just hear one problem after another from just about everyone that has them installed and then I hear stuff like this where they don't last long or from others saying I'm on my second set now. That's crazy and not only expensive it sounds like a pita. I'd love to have the power from them but it just doesn't seem worth it. I'd rather just not mess with my stock manifolds, save some money, and some hassle and have a tiny bit less hp. It's not like they add 100hp or anything anyway.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If headers are ceramic coated inside and out properly with a good coating they should last longer than 3yrs (at least double that) I dont think Edelbrock coats the insides so that could/would shorten the lifespan significantly.

My uncoated stainless Eddy TES headers went on back in spring of 97. Only reason Im replacing them this yearis I need long tubes with bigger primaries/collectors.
Headers on their own do not add a lot of hp persay but do compliment other mods as added. Less gained from other mods without them.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

These do appear to be coated on the inside too. The passenger side header was still in great shape, and I image that it will last longer then 3 years. Probably has lots of life still left in it. I think this may have started as a bad weld or some other small defect on that one primary, and progressed into the crack you see today.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not happy that they only lasted 3 years, but I have read many times how your lucky if aftermarket headers last more then 3 years, so i guess I wasn't suprised.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy
My uncoated stainless Eddy TES headers went on back in spring of 97. Only reason Im replacing them this yearis I need long tubes with bigger primaries/collectors.
Are these on your daily driver?

Quick Reply: Installed new headers