2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Airhat

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mopar Airhat

ORIGINAL: Viper37

The only addition you will get from the Mopar Air Hat is a shift from low end torque, to High RPM acceleration, and dropped mileage.

Dont waste your money.
You also the same one that thinks the hid's in your stock headlights is a good thing and non blinding to people. I kind of quit taking your opinion serious after that.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:36 AM
94Ramsey
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL sorry i quit smokin the happy leaf years ago. i smoke the marlbro leaf now

Old 07-26-2008, 02:58 AM
Viper37
Banned

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

You also the same one that thinks the hid's in your stock headlights is a good thing and non blinding to people. I kind of quit taking your opinion serious after that.
Seeing as you are too stupid to figure out how a PLUG AND PLAY headlight relay harness is installed..

I kind of quit taking your opinion serious after that.

[/quote]

Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

play nice boys.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

so does this airhat really shift low end to top end? b/c i am all about torque and low end, and was really interested in doing the airhat but not if it shifts even the smallest amount to top i ll just keep the ugly k&n

Old 07-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never noticed any low end loss. Off-line response seemed a little better with this airhat versus the stock setup. That's all low end. If you read that thread I posted, you see person after person who said they noticed it was better then the stock setup. I liked it better then the K&N FIPK, but mostly for asthetic and maintenance reasons.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:45 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Viper37

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Seeing as you are too stupid to figure out how a PLUG AND PLAY headlight relay harness is installed..

I kind of quit taking your opinion serious after that.
[/quote]Don't have to figure out how it's installed as it's correctly just not properly working. It's not installed wrong.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a kn air intake , and thinking about switching also, and get the mopar valve cover also , to match. kn just hogs up room in the engine bay, but i dont want to lose performance if i switch.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Viper37
Banned

ORIGINAL: Wickedwiggles

so does this airhat really shift low end to top end? b/c i am all about torque and low end, and was really interested in doing the airhat but not if it shifts even the smallest amount to top i ll just keep the ugly k&n
This is exactly what I experienced with mine.

My Truck is cherry by the way, no plenum leak, new plugs, wires, maintained, etc. 2001 5.2 4x2.

I used a Holley 14x3 standard air cleaner w/ the stock Holley Air filter. I also tried a Napa and K&N Filter as well.

After installing I re-calibrated the computer, then let the truck idle a bit to figure out its new settings.

I lost low end torque, period.

I didnt believe it myself so I recalibrated the computer a good 15-20 times, using different idle/ driving conditions thinking maybe I screwed up somehow. After all. Installing an Air Cleaner is insanely difficult..

The truck accelerated faster, but think about it, how much time do you really spend above 3k RPM's or at WOT? Going up hills, starting from lights, there was a definite loss in the low end. The pedel almost seemed mushy and I generally needed 1-200 more RPM's to get the truck moving. Also, with the Standard Air Cleaner installed, getting the transmission to downshift by jostling the pedel, seemed to not be as easy to do.

I also noticed a loss of 1-2 mpg city.

Solution? I threw the factory air cleaner back on and havent looked back since.

I've been toying around with throwing the Holley back on to try it again, but havent gotten around do it. The engine did sound excellent at WOT with the Holley installed though, no beef there. There was that nice sucking/growl that was present on older engines.

FYI, I'm getting 15mpg City with the Factory Air Cleaner, A Fram Air Filter, in this configuration:

Old 07-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You probably shouldn't recaliberate your "computer" then. I didn't and I didn't notice any loss in torque. I seriously don't see you losing low end by allowing a little bit more air to get into your engine. I didn't lose any gas mileage either. I think you screwed up your PCM.

Quick Reply: Mopar Airhat