2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying my first Ram!! Does this check out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 AM
bobboraze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first Ram!! Does this check out?

I've been doing as much research as I can and would just like to double check I'm right.

The one I'm looking is listed as "Sport package, Offroad package, Tow package"

It indeed has tow hooks, skid plates the works. I'm not doubting its listed correctly. I have 2 basic questions.

1. I thought it was standard to have the "sport" sticker on the side? (unless it was removed)

2. I am constantly seeing the term shortbox/shortbed etc. Is shortbox another term for shortbed? Short or long would be the only 2 available, correct? Is the one I'm looking at indeed a shortbed then?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://images.cars.com/supersized/DM.../149988.02.jpg

Old 08-08-2008, 06:24 AM
toader222

ive seen a few sports with out actual "sport" stickers on them the easiest tell tales are usually the painted grill as this truck has and has no moulding, almost all of the SLT models had moulding. this should be the offroad package because the rims appear to be the factory dodge 17"s with the tow hooks and the general higher stance. the short bed or short box as some people call it are the same thing and the one you are looking at is a short bed, it measures 6.5 ft. hope i was helpful, good luck buying!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a sport model Offroad edition unless someone put parts from a Offroad and sport model on. The sport model basically has color matched bumpers, grille, and tail lights instead of the chrome bumpers, and grille and rough textured trim on the tail lights. The offroad model adds quite a few things. That one has the offroad wheels and tow hooks, it also adds 4.10 gears, transmission cooler, an extra 1.5" or so of height over a stock non offroad model, larger not longer shocks, a trussed front axle, and maybe more I'm forgetting.

As for shortbox/shortbed they are the same thing. The only other bed option I'm aware of on these is is the long bed option.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The truck in the picture looks like a sport model.....

Old 08-08-2008, 06:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in addition to painted bumpers, the sport has 4 headlights. its fairly common for people to 'debadge' the stickers. the sport sticker on the side is pretty tacky looking.

the truck above has the 17" offroad wheels, skidplate and looks like the offroad.

you should find a sticker in the glove box and also under the hood with the model and equipment list.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:06 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice looking truck, and Palm tree, that Florida or Cali?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Guessing by the looks of the water behind and to the left of the truck, I'd say Florida.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:47 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

Thanks for all the help! I was here a long time ago asking about a heater core problem on our old family Durango. I was given some of the best help from a great group. I see nothing has changed and I look forward to joining the community.

Yeah, shes located in Florida, if I can get a good deal I would have her shipped to me. Its taken me a while to find one that has all the accessories and a leather interior. I hope it works out.

Thanks again!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

first time RAM fella must know what he is getting in to. Read this..
http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...hp?topic=39133
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/169691-i-hate-dodges.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/170195-dodge-noob-need-help-please.html
there are good things to a RAM, but I think you should be aware of the negative. since it can get pricey.

Last edited by 98DodgeRam1500; 08-08-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added one more link.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah I like my Dodge but it's true they do have a ton of problems it seems like almost everyone has. You see guys on here talk like they are the best but then again what do you expect it's a Dodge site? It seems like there are a few people that got lucky and avoided the issues but it seems to be more common than not to have them. They all seem to be expensive issues too.

Quick Reply: Buying my first Ram!! Does this check out?