2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple of questions, if I may

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:57 PM
CarverTime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions, if I may

Kk, well,

About three years ago, my uncle Tim died. His truck was held onto by my other uncle Matt. Earlier this week, it was passed on to me, and I'm going to bring it back to it's former glory, so to speak.

It's got what I believe to be 33" tires, and a little bit of a lift, but there's two problems with this- The tires rub the wheel wells, and the speedo's off some, resulting in a grimace every time I take a sharp corner, and me doing 25 in town anytime I get near an area where cops tend to hang out.. For the rubbing, I'ma raise her up a lil bit more to give the tires clearance, but anyone know how to calibrate the speedo'?

Also, where can I pick up one of those mopar stripes for the side of my bed?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you can get the dealer to flash the pcm for tire height, or buy a tuner like a hypertech or superchips.

decals are all over ebay or a member here named klingsdesigns can make one custom for you.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:13 PM
CarverTime

Ah, sweet. Thanks.

Also, I forgot to mention the problem of the first time I start it, if it hasn't ran in the past 4-5 hours, she refuses to idle, and just dies. Any idea why?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does it idle ok if you lay you foot on the gas and crack the throttle open a little. if so, then the idle air control (IAC) isn't working right. its on the back of the throttle body and has a couple of #25 torx screws and an electrical connector. you can try cleaning it or just replace it for about $50. i think there's a diy at the top.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 PM
CarverTime

ahh there we go. Thanks, dhvaughan.

One more minor issue..

My truck has begun letting out a whining noise when I turn, and there's a lighter one that I notice when I'm just driving. It's not much of an irritation to me, (I have 2 12in subs, and a 1200 watt amp, so.. I can't even hear my passenger sitting two feet from me most of the time, heh) but if it can be fixed, semi-easily, I'd do it this month, when I get my paycheck.

Might be the power-steering, maybe?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

wheel bearing going out, does it change pitch when you go faster and slower?

Unfortunately it isn't a cheap fix, but it also isn't something you can wait on if that's the problem.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it a low whine, or a high-pitched squeal?

squirrels, you're telling me that if its a high pitched squeal whenever you turn, its a wheel bearing going out? My wife's Jeep has a high pitched squeal whenever she makes a left turn at a certain angle. Its coming from the front end, and its done it since shortly after we bought it back in 2005. Our mechanics could never reproduce the noise, and they could never find an obvious problems with their inspections, so we just let it go.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the power steering pump can make a whining sound. check it while rolling vs sitting still. if excessive whining both rolling and sitting, i'd say ps pump. if only while rolling, then maybe bearing. but, bearing play should be noticable by wiggling and spinning the wheel.

let's see what was the other question - small whining sound... are there any children in the truck ? lol, could be alternator bearing, belt tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, defroster, or electrical noise coming over the radio or stereo. try to isolate it. turn off music, turn off a/c. turn off vent/fan/ac/def. if its still present, temporarily remove serpentine belt. beware your water pump is now not working so engine will overheat pretty quick.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Originally Posted by jason.w
Is it a low whine, or a high-pitched squeal?

squirrels, you're telling me that if its a high pitched squeal whenever you turn, its a wheel bearing going out? My wife's Jeep has a high pitched squeal whenever she makes a left turn at a certain angle. Its coming from the front end, and its done it since shortly after we bought it back in 2005. Our mechanics could never reproduce the noise, and they could never find an obvious problems with their inspections, so we just let it go.

A bearing can be checked by pulling on the wheel while it's raised off the ground. It typically makes a wha, wha, wha, wha, sound that gets louder and higher pitched when you go around a bend and the weight of the vehicle leans into it.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks squirrels, but that must not be it then. Was hoping not, as long as its been like that.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions, if I may