2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
yeah im kinda nervous to use it, im afraid its going to f*uck up my motor, or make my motor ping. or something i dunno just paranoid i guess. i have autolite plats in my truck you think it will be ok to use with the chip , beng my truck is death flashed
Damn, I almost wish I didn't write that post now. I simply said that IF you have LT headers, especially with a CAI, that they are mods that lean you out a bit. So does the Superchips with the performance tune. The combo could make you a bit leaner than you really want to be and the addition of the cooler t-stat brings it back up.
I've towed a heavy, two axle trailer, with two ATV's on it and a truck loaded with camping gear as well as three people in the cab up the highest mountains in north Ga. & N. Carolina. (Another no-no for the performance tune - as SC wants you to use the Tow tune for that). I never had a ping the whole time.
It's a great mod on my Hemi and if the gains are anywhere near what they claim for the 5.9, you'll be glad you got it...

Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Yeah I could not believe the performance gains they advertise for the 5.9. It's almost unheard of. All of the other engines are around 19-21, then the 5.9 has about 47 h/p and 60 lbs. of torque, it's insane. I'm hoping that it will be even more with the mopar airbreather, headers and exhaust. A chip has been something I've wanted to do for a long time, excited as hell that I'll finally be a "chip guy"

Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you others wanting on here is a used on right now on PS for $225
http://pavementsucks.com/forums/view...24850&forum=22

Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Yeah im kinda scared to do it too. My friend went and got a brand new 2008 ford f250. First thing he did was hooked up a brand new diablo tuner. Started the truck and the trucks rpms ran up to as far as they would go. He turned the key off but the truck kept running. after bout 15 seconds it blew his motor. luckily it was still all under warranty haha.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Diablo is a whole 'nuther animal. The forums are full of stories of LX Hemi engines that were "blown up" by them. They've had a PR nightmare in trying to release a DR Hemi tuner. They are well over a year past the scheduled release date.
The Superchips (and Hypertech for that matter) are very safe to use on your truck. The Superchips has even been CARB cerified.
I really enjoy mine, but I'm gonna uninstall it from my truck (hopefully before too long) and install it on my Grand Cherokee (now that it supports the 4.7 H.O.) because my next mod (cam) will take me beyond the capabilities of the "canned tunes" of the Superchips, necessitating a move to the SCT which can be custom tuned. But, if not for that, I'd not give up my Superchips.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my superchips should be here on friday. its shipped yesterday, and paid for 3 day shipping cant wait

Old 08-12-2008, 08:22 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't believe nobody uses the search function here.

The guys running SCT tuners here will tell you that they are far better than the Superchips tuners. I for one, had both. If you blew $400 on a new Superchips, you might as well put down another $200 and gone the SCT route. Or, taken the same amount of money and sent it to B&G and gotten a better tune. Or searched around for a Mopar performance PCM.

Superchips tuners are well worth the $200 used price, but no where near the $400 they charge new. Especially not when there are better things out there for the same price.

Jeez, just search and research guys. I don't mean to down your excitement, but a lot of us post honest experiences here to try to help everybody get the most bang for the buck.

To each his own...

Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 AM
ron333
Captain

I am very pleased with my SCT and the customer service I get from the dealer I bought it from!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my actual plan is to try 3 of them. hypertech max energy,which i have. the superchips 3815,and eventually the sct.i just want to try them all first hand. i am going to get the superchips soon(next couple weeks).

Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I suppose I'm a little sad but I'm also a little happy. I'm sad it didn't work out, but happy I have all my money back. After about three hours trying to figure out how to update the superchip at the store with the guy, I had a chance to take the truck out. We had the longtube headers, exhaust, and intake calibrated into the chip along with tires, gears, and transmission. So I took it out. I immediatly sensed the gains were minimal. Yes there was a slight difference with the way the engine reacted to the pedal being mashed, but it wasn't nearly enough of a difference for me to drop $365. I did a couple of other tests, and I just wasn't getting the results I had expected. The engine was also making a weird pinging noise at WOT which made me uneasy. When I returned I told the guy right up that I wasn't satisfied with the gains at all and that I wanted to return it. Fortunately the salesman was a nice guy and didn't give me any problems. He put it back to stock and I was on my way. It just seems like I'm not really going to get anything more out of this engine. It's already at its maximum with bolts on. If I want to step it up, a camshaft and ported heads is probably where I'd go, but it's not really a place I wish to go. I've juggled buying the fastman throttle body with the money I have now, but I don't even know if that's worth it. I'm sure it'd be nice, but again, I don't know if I should just stop now and save up some doe and have it around incase something goes on the truck. It's a 2001, but it does have 110,000, maybe it would just be wise to just continue keeping the truck clean and taking care of it. Anyways, that's the scoop on the superchip. Probably worth it for someone who doesn't want to spend money on headers and a full exhaust, but if you already have those basic bolt ons done, it's not worth the money.

Quick Reply: Superchip