2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, can you help me out with what I need to do to get the SCT Tuner? Would I be able to go through the guy you talk with? I just want to make sure that it's not going to mess with my engine ya know? What were the things you noticed the tuner did for you? Did it mess with your idle or anything like that? I just want to make sure if I spend the big bucks that it's not going to hurt my engine, I'm nervous of this. But I would like something that I could type in what my gearing ratio is, what size my tires are, acknowledge the headers, exhaust, intake, high octane, but without hurting the engine. What are some other things you can do with the tuner? Can you adjust shift points at all? Thanks!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

The SCT tuner cannot adjust the gear ratio, tire size, or speedo. It is programmed with custom tunes that can take advantage of your gear ratio, headers, exhaust, etc., but you can't change much manually. Its designed for custom tunes from a SCT dealer, and thats about it.

That being said, its still worth it I think.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 PM
ron333
Captain

I would be happy to help. The guy you need to email is: hemifever@aol.com

He has always been great about answering questions and responding to emails. I highly recommend him and the SCT Tuner he sells. Ask him how much he is selling them for right now and if there are any group buys going on that you could take advantage of to help lower the pricing a little. It doesn't hurt to ask.

As for the difference it made for my truck, it was worth every penny I spent on it! If you read the modification list on my signature photo, keep in mind that the SCT Tuner was the last one I added. The truck was running much better than when I had bought it after spending the time and money to make those upgrades. I was hesitant to get the tuner because I just didn't think my truck had much more to give, if any without completely rebuilding it to be a stroker. Holy crap was I wrong!!! This tuner actually allows the full benefits of all the other modifications that I had done previously. The difference in performance is night and day! If you decide to get one, you really won't be sorry. You're truck will feel like it has finally come alive! The throttle response is much more crisp and immediate. When you open it up at WOT, you're going to be grinning from ear to ear. You will wonder how you ever drove without it. Just be very careful about speeding... it will be so much easier to do with the performance tune, trust me!

The SCT Tuner will allow you to have 3 different tunes to choose from and is very easy to download each program to the PCM. It gives you step-by-step instructions as you do it. Also, another thing to keep in mind, each time you change something on your truck, like getting a throttle body from Fastman which I personally suggest that you do so, you can get an update to the programming from Hemifever, FOR FREE, to accommodate the modification in the programming and get the most performance possible from it. He can set the rev limit to where you want it, and he can also set the shift points where you want them as well. He is very easy to work with and each time you need him to change something, it is a quick email download to the tuner, then less than 5 minutes in you truck to have the newly adjusted tune in the PCM.

If you end up getting one, and I highly suggest that you do if you can afford it, I'll be anxious to read your feedback on it. I have not had any experience with the Superchip unit that you just returned, but the results you got with it are going to make you laugh when you experience what the SCT Tuner does for your truck!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:14 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Awesome Ron!! That's what I like to hear! I know it's a lot of money, but I'm almost there at this point, I might as well wait one or two weeks and just buy it. There really isn't anything more I want to do with my truck. I love it looks wise. And for the performance I've got the mopar airbreather, the longtube headers and y-pipe, and the 3" exhaust. Really, the only thing I want to do is buy that tuner and maximize my modifications to the fullest potential and hear this puppy roar! That superchip was absolute junk, everyone was right on this forum. The computers on our trucks just don't react well to those modular chips. Besides, I guess I was pushing it anyways with the superchip because of the headers and no cat. So I e-mailed hemi-fever and asked him to give me a little background on the protocal. I told him Ron suggessted me too. I'm very excited to hear your results. Yes its the big bucks, but it sounds worth it. This trucks already amazes me now, I cannot wait to see what it's even more capable of! Anything else I should know as well?? Thanks again for your help too.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:32 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems to be exactly the experience I had with the Hypertech minus the pinging you had. It seemed to help slightly but it was slightly. To me it was worth what I paid but that was more for the other features of it. It wouldn't have been worth the new price and I'm not sure the power I gained was even worth $160 but it was to me with the other features.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm actually surprised you didn't see more out of it. I was on another forum a couple of hours ago and there was basically two guys with 5.9s who have an SC and couldn't rave enough about the gains. One spends his weekends at the track and is quite modded with headers, CIA, gears, etc. and he claims his times were dramatically better after the tune.
But I still think you are on the right track looking at an SCT, like I said before, I'm going that way, even though I see pretty good gains from the SC on a Hemi. Once you get to a point with mods, a "canned tune" can't help you anymore.
I just hope before I have the $ saved for the cam, retainers, springs, rods, etc. that SCT has their tranny tunes done (they can adjust wot shift points now, but that's about it, nothing to firm up the shifts like the SC does) and hopefully tire size for speedo recalibration. I'm kinda spoiled by those features in the SC.
Good luck...

Old 08-12-2008, 05:48 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

That's what worries me about the SCT. Sure you guys say it's great and I do trust you guys but at the same time there are plenty of people places that like the superchips/hypertechs. That makes me worried that I'd waste $600 on a SCT then not be happy with it. Can you even return those if you don't like them? You guys are more than likely right that it's awesome but I can't bring myself to spend $600 to see for myself. I've heard others plenty of times say other stuff made a good difference and when I did that mod I hardly noticed anything. Intake, Exhaust, and stuff like that for example.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I wouldn't bother with the SCT if you don't have anything more than a CAI and a Cat-Back exhaust. If you've done more than you need to start looking at one.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:39 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

How much more? Are you saying when you get into say a cam or something like that or just anything more than a CAI and exhaust? What about with a Fastman. I'm just afraid of being stuck with some $600 thing that doesn't do much for power and it wont even correct the speedo or do anything like that.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i got the superchips because 1 my truck is death flashed, and it will bypass it ,and ontop i will get even more power,ill tell you guys how it works out, also neon he prob didnt hook it up right if it took you guys more than 3 hours to make a setting for your truck. i dunno kinda fishy, you didnt even get too try all settings.... just like the filter put it back on and try it out for a bit and you will prob get to like it

Quick Reply: Superchip