2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchip

Been busting my butt off at work lately and I have some cash to throw around now. So I ordered up the Superchip for my truck on impulse. Going to have it installed tomorrow morning, and I can't wait. I told the guy what I had done to the truck and he said it's going to rip. I think it's about 46 h/p on a stock motor, I can't wait.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Watch your A/F ratio with the SC tuned for performance in combination with the LT Headers.
They specifically warn about it on the SC forum (they don't recommend the combo - officially). The better breathing of a CAI and headers lean you out a little, and the SC advances the timing quite a bit, which also leans you out.
I had my local performance shop look at my Hemi's A/F ratio and I was lean, not quite CEL lean, but fairly close. They recommended a simple fix - install a 180* T-stat, the cooler stat causes the PCM to richen the mixture a tad. Brought me right up almost to stock A/F ratios.
Just a heads up, it's no big deal really, like I said it wasn't lean enough for a CEL, but I think it was worth the under $20 fix to put the ratio closer to where specs say it should be...

Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i just ordered myself one also, cant wait, im wondering neon if you have the death flash also becasue your truck is an 01 ???????

Old 08-11-2008, 01:20 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

im kinda nervous now , is my a/f ratio going to be messed up when i hook up this superchips too my truck

Old 08-11-2008, 01:44 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hammer said that a 180 stat got him back close, so you should probably be good since you already have it.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Superchips is like the Hypertech you wont notice a huge difference. My Hypertech might have helped slightly but it wasn't like a huge difference you felt. I think at over 60 it might have a little more power. Let us know how you like it though. BTW why are you getting them to install it? I hope you aren't paying extra for that. All you do is plug them in under the dash into the obd2 port and then the screen tells you what to do. It takes like 5-10 minutes and most of that is waiting for it to program.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking bout getting one too. The Hypertech is the one im considering on getting. You like it hometheaterman? Any improvement in gas milage?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:10 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I like it but I wouldn't pay $300 or $400 or whatever it is new. I don't think it's worth that. I didn't see much if any of a change in gas mileage. I got slightly better but also did new pleneum and a bunch of other stuff around that time and a new tune up so not sure which helped or if it was just how I changed driving or the non slipping tranny or what. Seems like I can easily get 13 now if I keep my foot out of it where as before I got about 12.5.

I like it because it let me adjust my speedo for my 33"s. I did notice though the setting for 33"s or 32.75 even was still off I had play with it and the setting for 32.25 I think was the one that was right for my 33"s. It goes in .25" increments. I basically just had to play with it but it got the speedo right. It's also nice to be able to read and clear trouble codes but you can also do that on most later model trucks with the key on off trick.

As for power I think it did help slightly but like all bolt on's it seemed to be very slightly. Might have helped over 60 but once again not sure if it was that or the rest of the stuff I added on. It felt better but I did a ton of stuff at once and it wasn't a ton better just a tad bit.

I paid $160 used on here for it and think it was well worth that but I don't think I'd pay much more than that for one. You used to be able to find them fairly often used for around that price but I haven't seen any recently. Haven't looked though so they may still be out there.

All in all I like this just not for full price.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:29 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

yeah im kinda nervous to use it, im afraid its going to f*uck up my motor, or make my motor ping. or something i dunno just paranoid i guess. i have autolite plats in my truck you think it will be ok to use with the chip , beng my truck is death flashed

Old 08-11-2008, 05:32 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I didn't like the Autolites when I used them so I switched back to Champions. I haven't noticed any pinging in my truck with the Hypertech. I thought it was death flashed as it had a authorized software update but it might not have been because I didn't notice a huge power difference. I run mine on the premium setting and use premium gas.

Quick Reply: Superchip