2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey z71 what forum you on that these guys are raving about it i want too see

Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The SCT tuner gave me more performance on the 87 octane tune than the Superchips did on the 91 octane "performance" tune. the 93 octane SCT tune is crazy good. It's the BEST "mod" that I have done. 2nd would be the 1.7 RR and 3rd would be either the Fastman, or the gears. HTM, just take the plunge man, you won't be disappointed.

Neon,

Please do us all a favor and don't whip Sean for a new tune every time you have the plugs changed, add a quart of oil, or put the stock air box back on so that you can "maximize your mods." He won't sell them to anybody else on the forum if you do that. I know that sounds mean, (and I swear I don't mean it to be) but Sean is a BUSY man, and you have to admit, you change your mind about stuff on your truck about twice a week. If you whip his a$$ too much, he's liable cut us all off and probably not be too happy with Ron for referring you.

For you guys that currently own them, I have emailed the SCT guys at sctflash.com about the lack of datalogging which they claimed back in March they would support, and they assured me that they are still going to support this feature. It is apparently in the testing phase now and datalogging capability will be released in the coming months. I urge you all to bug them about it too and maybe we'll be able to piece together some info on when they plan to release it. The ability to pull that data could really tie in the truck for those of us that don't have a dyno in the garage.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think if he puts it back on he is going to like it any more as simple as that they just don't seem to make a big difference. I could however be wrong. I think he did the best thing in getting his money back unless he wants it for adjusting the speedo and stuff. In any case I think he should have gotten his money back and gotten one used cheap like the one on PS if he wants one. The filter is something others noticed a difference with. They don't seem to have noticed that for the Superchips. Did he set it to the performance setting? I can't imagine a non performance setting being any better.
The reason I say this is I just didn't notice a big difference with the Hypertech and the Hypertech and Superchips seem to be put in the same group as far as programmers go by most. To me he shouldn't have to get to like it. For that price it should impress him not him learn to think it's okay.

I don't see how you can exactly install the Superchips wrong unless it's totally different from my Hypertech. It sounds like they were trying to update the superchips unit.

He might could have gotten a little more power out of it if it wasn't set on the performance tune but I'm assuming they had it set on that already.

Have you tried one on your yet? What kind of gain did you see? Just curious how others here like them?

Not trying to be a jerk but this is just my opinion on this issue.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the SCT starts doing data logging that would be pretty cool. I kind of sort of want one but I just can't see spending that much on something for my truck right now. I may one day though. I just wish it would adjust the speedo too as I like having my speedo correct.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like a pretty large consensus here that the SCT is well worth the money. I know most guys on this forum try to find ways of finding the best bang for the buck, so if they are even buying these $600 units, they obviously know it's really the only shortcut around our computers. I'm sure I could have gotten the superchip further adjusted, but he had it set at the performance tune, and I just wasn't really impressed. I did feel a slight increase, but it wasn't anything noticable. It was also making my engine ping at WOT, and I really didn't like that. I figure I'm almost there anyways with the SCT. I can most likely afford it by next week since I'm working so many hours right now. I'm very excited about this. I e-mailed hemifever this afternoon about getting some basic information how to start this process, but he's yet to return my e-mail. Hopefully he'll get back to me tomorrow. I hope it's well worth this money. I like that it's going to be able to acknowledge any modifications I do to the truck though. Right now I don't want a cam, but maybe sometime down the road I might want it, and I'll know my tuner will be able to acknowledge it unlike the superchip, which seems more compliable with the newer engines these days.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah paying 600 dollars for something that doesnt even adjust ur speedo is a tad much... I was considering getting some sort of chip but when i think of something else that i could get with 600 dollars the chip just doesnt seem worth it... 200 or maybe 300 is a lil more reasonable.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:34 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so,when i get the superchips 3815 am i going to have to go to the website and start downloading stuff right away? or is it going to work without any problems?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

01dodgeram360,did you have premium gas in it? what plugs are you using?maybe thats what was causing the pinging.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While the SCT is a worthwhile option to consider,
and one further advantage is that Sean/HemiFever
seems dedicated to doing a good job for each customer,
don't forget the other potentially lower cost options:

MegaSquirt

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...onclusion.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megasquirt/

Adapting to MAF with a junkyard PCM like the Ford EEC-IV
http://tinyurl.com/6r4roe

Many Ram owners want BOTH
better performance and fuel economy
and want to be able to use E85 fuel,
or gasoline of different octane ratings depending on their budgets.
A totally programable system that can use a wide range O2 sensor is a key way to do this.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:02 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: Superchip