2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cam swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just e-mailed comp cams,with alot of my info. lets see if they get back with me.

this cam stuff is all new to me. i have never done one before.and really donnt know much about them.i would just like to be able to have everything together and go to the brother in laws and help him install it for me. he likes doing that kind of stuff and is a good backyard mechanic with all the right tools.

Last edited by talon6; 08-19-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't swapped one (yet) but when I do I'll be looking at a KRC Performance cam. I'm looking at the 206 and the 206x depending on how far I go.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

went to the krc site and checked them out. like you said the 206 and 206x look pretty good. i just wish they went into a little more discription on them.

come on cam guys. i need some more info on this swap. i am 95% sure i am going to do a swap. i just need some more good info. i just donnt know anything about them.

fellow ram driver needs help.lol i am sure there are guys on here that have done just a cam swap.trying to get some more power without going with some high dollar forced induction,if possible.

Last edited by talon6; 08-19-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

talon--you are on the right track with the level of cam you are looking for. I chose the Hughes cam mainly because I was also buying a new pair of heads from them and it was a good match for the performance goals that I want for the truck.

Just call and talk with someone at KRC or Hughes, etc. I think they will steer you into the right direction. My personal opinion is that if you are going to tear down your engine enough to put a cam in, go ahead and replace or rebuild the heads with heavier valve springs etc that will complement the cam. The advertised lift, duration, etc for a cam really don't mean a lot by themselves. Proven increases in performance for your application do. Above all, keep your feet on the ground. When I was young we used to choose some wild cam grind mainly because we thought it sounded cool but did very little for performance on the street.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how hard is it to install a cam on a ram? I'm gonna be tearing mine down to replace a few things pondering if i should do a cam as well

Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Its not hard at all. Pull the front of the motor, the intake, and valve covers.

My mileage went up when I put the aftermarket cam in my truck.

It is really stupid to not put new (diffrent) springs in when you change the cam. You should put new lifters in as well. Pushrods should also be changed out. You can keep the stock rockers, but they suck change them out.

you guys that are looking to do a cam swap need to be more specific as to what you want. Do you want something that gives massive low end torque with no top end, something that is mild all arround, or something that is peakey (top end only)?

IMO all the cams that are offered from hughes and krc are a worthless compromise. Mine was a daily driver so I had one made to meet my needs better than the other cams. The truck pulls equally as powerful from 1700 all the way through 6k. The specs that were given to me from the individual companies led me to the conclusion that I had the choice of one or two cams that were close to what I wanted. One was the KRC 210x I believe, but again this was a compromise. It was strong but still left something to be desired. The next step up was too agressive.

Last edited by IndyRamMan; 08-20-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

i guess i am looking for a all around cam. from lets say 800 to 5000rpms. i donnt tow anything.i donnt hual anything,except the quad occassionally maybe a little bit of wood from the lumber yard. its a pavement queen.but i do want to be able to turn around and drive it for 500 miles if need be.but it is not my daily driver. my quest is to be able to burn that chevy or ford that pulls beside me and pipe shoots me. my truck just seems to lack alot of hp until the rpms start kicking in.i donnt care if its the fastest truck,i just want something that will hold its own.

if it takes changing the lifters,springs,pushrods,ect i will. i donnt want to change the heads. and i would prefer not to change the computer.

like i said before,i have never done a cam swap before so i need all the help i can get. how's come nobody seems to offer a complete cam package like gaskets,rockers,cam,ect?

can someone give me a list of everything that i need? i am going to try to get everything together here in the next couple weeks. i just donnt want to leave anything out,and be stuck waiting for a week on something that i needed.help,help.

if you need more info let me know.

Last edited by talon6; 08-20-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Originally Posted by IndyRamMan
IMO all the cams that are offered from hughes and krc are a worthless compromise. Mine was a daily driver so I had one made to meet my needs better than the other cams.
Don't be shy, tell us who ground your cam. If you're going to slam to well-known engine builders, tell us which cam you picked.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Competition cams. Crane cams make hughes and krc cams, so if you think its their cam your mistaken. They just give the numbers to crane and crane creates the cam and sells it to krc and hughes which they then resell to you. The reason I chose comp cams is because they had a grind number identical to what I wanted, but it was for a chevy, so it wasnt anything they had to do any diffrently to make my cam besides use a magnum core. I didnt trash them, I just said its a worthless compromise. They make a good cam but its not maximised one way or another. I wanted one that was maximised for daily driving abilities, ergo, I gave the numbers I wanted to the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by talon6
i guess i am looking for a all around cam. from lets say 800 to 5000rpms. i donnt tow anything.i donnt hual anything,except the quad occassionally maybe a little bit of wood from the lumber yard. its a pavement queen.but i do want to be able to turn around and drive it for 500 miles if need be.but it is not my daily driver. my quest is to be able to burn that chevy or ford that pulls beside me and pipe shoots me. my truck just seems to lack alot of hp until the rpms start kicking in.i donnt care if its the fastest truck,i just want something that will hold its own.

if it takes changing the lifters,springs,pushrods,ect i will. i donnt want to change the heads. and i would prefer not to change the computer.

like i said before,i have never done a cam swap before so i need all the help i can get. how's come nobody seems to offer a complete cam package like gaskets,rockers,cam,ect?

can someone give me a list of everything that i need? i am going to try to get everything together here in the next couple weeks. i just donnt want to leave anything out,and be stuck waiting for a week on something that i needed.help,help.

if you need more info let me know.

From what I recall the 206, which you were talking about earlier I believe, sounds to be up your alley. I dont believe you need to change the computer for that.

Last edited by IndyRamMan; 08-20-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:52 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

comp cams e-mailed me back. they sayed that part #20-745-9 would be a good application for what i am looking for.i looked it up and it said that i would need to change the springs.

grind # crs xr 264r-14. what do these #'s mean.

what does anybody think about this cam?

i would just like to say thanks for everyones help.

Quick Reply: cam swap ?