2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cam swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

did you really smack it or how did you know you hit it?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was drawing it out, it got away from me when it cleared the disty/oil pump gear. I had put the longest bolt I could find in the cam gear hole, but it wasn't long enough to help me support the weight on the other end. I thought all I had done was put a nick in the bearing, which I was prepared to live with, but on further examination I saw where the lobe came down and shattered the bearing material in one spot. In preparation to install the new cam, I bought a 2 foot piece of all-thread, cut it to about 18 inches, and wrapped it in duct tape. I should of used that to remove the old cam as well. All I can say is I hope someone learns from my mistakes :/

Old 08-30-2008, 01:01 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

ok I remember reading somewhere that you need a bolt. Are you saying you need a real long one? Is it easy to mess up when removing or installing a cam?

I'm getting frustrated with this cam thing. Comp never answers their cam help line and their form asks so much stuff that I don't know I can't submit it

Old 08-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Yes, you need a bolt at least a foot or longer to control the cam as you draw it out of the block. I got into the typical hurry, put a six inch bolt in there and that wasn't enough for me to control he opposite end of the cam. And yes, it is VERY easy to damage the bearings if you let a heavy camshaft drop onto them. The best way to remove/install a cam is with the block standing on its end and lifting/lowering the cam vertically.

Send me a link to form and I'll see if I can fill it out.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:08 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i filled my comp cams paper out i just put "stock" in the things that i didnt know for sure. and they got back with me in a couple days.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Rex-TheDOGG
Will do, talon.

Well, I took about 5 steps back this week when I realized I had smacked the #4 cam bearing with a cam lobe while I was removing the old cam. Very rookie mistake and I felt like being sick when I saw it! So, yesterday I contacted our Snap-On rep and got a good deal on their universal cam bearing tool set and also ordered a new set of cam bearings. Also found out that each bearing is smaller diameter than the next from the front of engine going back. If this is true, I can't see it with the naked eye except for the #5 bearing. Anyway, it's going to be HUGE fun trying to replace that bearing in situ this weekend. I will take pictures, and if I can actually do it without pulling the block, I'll submit a DIY to show it can be done.

On a side note, several people have stated that Crane grinds the Hughes cams. When I called them yesterday about the cam bearings, I asked them point blank if that was the case, and their representative emphatically said "NO." He did tell me the cam grinder they use was proprietary information, but their cams are custom grinds that don't even resemble Crane's grinds.
97k on the stock bearings and you weren't planning on replacing them anyway? Maybe someone else was just looking out for you

Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

question are they telling you a cam to use with the 1.7 R.R . or are you planning on putting the stock rockers back in, there are some cams that work with the harland sharps which i may do down the road

my buddy put a rv cam in his 96 for towing and it feels like it had more ***** than mine and i have some decent things on it, but too bad he got rid of it ..

i heard the 2.02 edlebrock heads are a good gain for low end too, just throwing that out for ya

Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Mine is based off 1.6rr's. I will be using HS 1.6's so still better then stock.

I was told by a certain sales person I could run 1.7's. I mentioned that to the people I got my heads from and they didn't recommend that.

Quick Reply: cam swap ?