2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cam swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrex
I knew Crane makes the KRC cams. I didn't know who makes the Hughes cams, but since it's so specialized a field, I'm not surprised. And when you say "worthless" (meaning "zero worth") you mean worthless to your application. I can appreciate that, and Comp Cams is a good product. But I think you'll agree that cam numbers alone don't guarantee a good result as there are way too many factors involved. In some ways, it's a crap shoot.
No, not that its worthless to buy a cam from them, but rather that its not worth the compromises in my oppinion. meaning, I feel theres better to be had.

Like a few have been saying, measure twice (or more) cut once and youll order a good cam.

Key phrazes to learn what they mean, and how it relates to your selection,when trying to pick the best cam for your needs:
-Head flow (and how it relates to lift)
-Duration
-Total Duration (seat to seat)
-Lobe seperation angle
-lift (cam and total)
-spring rate
-bind hight
-installed hight
-max lift
-valvetrain geometry
-roller (lifters and rockers)
-rocker ratio (and how it effects ramp rate)
-ramp rate
etc.

learn how those phrazes relate to eachother and youll be better off.
-

Last edited by IndyRamMan; 08-21-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am just about scared off from the cam swap. so much to consider. i am afraid if i choose one i wont be satisfied.now i am not for sure. i was sure i wanted to do it.not so much now. i just donnt see what is so hard about it. i want a little more butt down low without sacrificing my top end. i may be over my head on this one.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:44 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

reading to make for more confidence:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ing/index.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ech/index.html

http://www.elgincams.com/campaper.html

some cams compared in a 318 V8
notice how the torque 'down low' falls as torque up high rises

Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Originally Posted by talon6
i am just about scared off from the cam swap. so much to consider. i am afraid if i choose one i wont be satisfied.now i am not for sure. i was sure i wanted to do it.not so much now. i just donnt see what is so hard about it. i want a little more butt down low without sacrificing my top end. i may be over my head on this one.
Whatever you pick your more than likely going to be happy lol.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

thanks hank.nice read. now my head is just about ready to explode.lol

what to do,what to do.

can someone look at the cam that i gave the link to and give me the down low on it?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Pritty on par with what your looking for. More averaged hp/tq than massive one way or another. Since you dont tow you dont need to worry about a cam that gives big power down low (not that your not getting that).

Old 08-23-2008, 04:20 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

thanks indyram.

i emailed comp cams again to see what springs they suggest for it. i am thinking i am gonna go ahead and just do it.

is there anyway to tell what kind of hp gains i will see? 20hp or maybe 50hp(50 is just wishful thinking i am sure)lol i cannt find any dyno on it.

little info. i searched and searched the web and airram was the cheapest place to buy the cam.

Last edited by talon6; 08-23-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by talon6
LOL. Don't be scared off by all the tech jargon and white papers. Indy and HankL are correct. That information is very beneficial when choosing a cam for your app, but unless you're someone like Ed Iskendarian it doesn't mean a whole lot to the average Joe who just wants a little more torque/hp out of his truck's engine. The cam you're looking at will probably satisfy you -- if your expectation is reasonable. If you need more reassurance, I would talk with with a reputable engine builder, cam grinder, tuner, or someone who has made/seen the same swap under very similar situations. To me, that's where you'll find the real world data. Not trying to start anything, just one man's opinion.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok i see a lot that say "computer controlled" what dos that mean?

Also how does one know if pcm mods are needed? And how does one mod the pcm for a cam?

Old 08-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Almost any time you install a bigger cam, expect to reflash your pcm. Once I get my dogg back on the road, I'm going to see a local tuner about getting a custom reflash based on dyno results. It seems that a good number of these trucks were "death flashed" by the dealers as a response to the plenum leak. I just found out recently from the PO that mine was also death flashed.

Quick Reply: cam swap ?