2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cam swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:39 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

getting my list together on what all i need.

cam
springs
cam lube
top end gasket set
antifreeze
oil & filter

what else am i gonna need parts wise? do i need any special tools?like i said before i just want to have everything together so it can be done on a weekend.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not going to have your heads milled with new valves, guides, etc.? Some other items you will need:

PB Blaster for exhaust manifold bolts
1-1/4 socket to turn crank
Balancer puller
degree wheel for checking and possibly adjusting cam timing.
dial indicator w/ at least a 1/2" of travel
Front end gasket set
New timing chain and gears
New lifters if old ones have any appreciable wear
I also made some simple tools to stop engine rotation and help remove the fan from the its hub

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:55 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

my truck only has 55k on it so i am hoping that the lifters are still ok.

when you say fan removal,do you mean the clutch fan? if so mines gone already have a e-fan setup.

man,i was thinking this was going to be a 1000 to 1500$ dollar deal. looks like its gonna be more like 2000$to 2500$ without new heads or having them worked on. i can slide 1500$ or so by the old lady in a couple weeks without her knowing. its gonna take me a little longer to slide all that under the radar.

Last edited by talon6; 08-24-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:03 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Holly hanah. Slide $1500 by her? Wow dude, you are brave. Or stupid. There's a fine like between the two.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:17 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

i am a little of both,but leaning a little more towards the stupid side.lol

Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Talon, you are probably good with your lifters. I just pulled my 97k lifters out today and really considered re-using them as they seemed to be in great shape. Rollers were still good. Yep on the mopar radiator fan. I still think you could do this with stock replacement heads and cam for around $1500 to $2000. However, it's a huge amount of work to break the engine down that far and build it back. If you have a day job, expect to be without your truck for at least two weeks (if you want to do a good, thorough job).

Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

yep, i have a day job, except its at night.lol coal miner,81hrs this week. havent had under 70hrs for 2yrs......... wow that just brought me down.man do i need a vacation.

the truck sets most of the time. i drive it maybe once a week. i drive a old ford areostar(got it for free like 4yrs ago) everyday and to work. and the old lady has a 07 kia sorento. so the truck being down for a little bit is not a big deal.

i have a little piece of paper with everything wrote down so far that has been mentioned to get. if you think of something else let me know.gonna get jet underdrives,and the superchip 3815 probably this coming payday. then it will be time to start knocking stuff off the list.

just liked to say i really appreciate all your help.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

You are welcome, Talon. I will report back to the forum how my cam/head swap went when I get it finished.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

well after really thinking hard about it for the last couple days,i think i am gonns ditch the cam swap idea. there is alot more to it than what i had originally expected.

i appreciate everyones input though. maybe some of the things mentioned will help someone else with thier swap.

tdrex. make sure you let us know how everything goes.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Will do, talon.

Well, I took about 5 steps back this week when I realized I had smacked the #4 cam bearing with a cam lobe while I was removing the old cam. Very rookie mistake and I felt like being sick when I saw it! So, yesterday I contacted our Snap-On rep and got a good deal on their universal cam bearing tool set and also ordered a new set of cam bearings. Also found out that each bearing is smaller diameter than the next from the front of engine going back. If this is true, I can't see it with the naked eye except for the #5 bearing. Anyway, it's going to be HUGE fun trying to replace that bearing in situ this weekend. I will take pictures, and if I can actually do it without pulling the block, I'll submit a DIY to show it can be done.

On a side note, several people have stated that Crane grinds the Hughes cams. When I called them yesterday about the cam bearings, I asked them point blank if that was the case, and their representative emphatically said "NO." He did tell me the cam grinder they use was proprietary information, but their cams are custom grinds that don't even resemble Crane's grinds.

Quick Reply: cam swap ?