2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Volant is in the house=)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

They run about $150 for a decent kit off of eBay. However, I don't like them. Far to bright, they don't work for halogen housings that well, you need a projector lens to properly control the light output so you don't blind others.

That and a lot of times you get bad ballasts. I think thats what I have now when I tried to run them, because I wired my lights up directly from the battery using relays, and I still get the HIDs flickering like a strobe light rather than constant on. Gotta send them in, the kit I got has a lifetime warranty.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HID's in the stock housings on these trucks are a bad idea. I'd send those things back and either get a retrofit do it yourself or send it off or just get a quality halogen bulb.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chill out? hahaha! dude ive spent almost 2 grand this month. m1, new hd water pump, fastman, headers, e fans, goooood god.

i wanted to go with the holley tb from summit but i figured the fastman was the same.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:16 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

the Holley looks like it can flow better than the fastman cause of the smoothness of the opening. i think i might go with that because it looks better than a fastman

Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I really want a APS throttle body but they no longer make them so they are hard to find. I've been looking somewhat for a while now. If I get one and don't find a APS it will more than likely be The Fastman one. Dan seems like he is great to deal with from the other stuff I've ordered from him.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some people had both holly and fastman , and say the fastman has way better airlfow. let us know motorbreath how your mods turn out , and feel free to make a video . im wondering if hid kit will work in my aftermarket headlight housing ??? idont have stock anymore

Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ask jason, he has the same headlights as you but his are chrome and he has hids.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Lastrights,

They will work, but you have the same problem the stocks have. Way to bright. Even though our housings are superior to the stock ones (my opinion), they are still designed for halogen. You need projector lenses for HIDs to work most effectively and safely.

And you have to get them to work, sometimes you get bad ballasts or ballasts go bad. At least, like I said before, I think thats my problem. Either that or 14 gauge wire doesn't deliver enough juice from the battery to the bulbs for HIDs, which I find kind of hard to believe.

I grabbed myself a pair of EuroDezigns 8500k bulbs, and they are the brightest halogen bulbs I've ever seen. They are a nice bright white color, without being so bright as to blind people. I've tried Sylvania Silverstars and Sylvania Silverstar Ultras... they were the last Sylvania product I will ever buy. Maybe they do outshine stock bulbs, but that got me to thinking... the stock bulbs are Sylvanias as well.

I also have tried GE Nighthawk bulbs. The best normal yellow bulb you can get, but my EuroDezigns still outdo them.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I do need to chill out, I've put in over $10,000 into this truck in just one year, it's absolutely absurd. But...I love it lol!

In regards to the HIDs, they are kits. I purchased them from V-Leds. They are street legal. They are 6K. White with a blue tint. Jake York from V-Leds gave me a deal since I bought the lowbeams and foglights at the same time. I paid $299.98. Basically $150 for each kit. I'm going to run them and see what I think. If I hate them, I'll send them back. My brother runs HIDs in his halogen housing on his one ton, and they don't appear to be overbearing, they are just as overbearing as any other HIDs I see on the roads. Besides, many of the HIDs that come stock with vehicles are blinding at night regardless. A bright halogen can be just as blinding as an HID anyways, so I'm not to worried about it. I think it's going to look very nice with HIDs in the headlights and foglights, give the truck that custom touch.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

No offense I'm all for modding the trucks but any aftermarket HID's you add to your vehicle even if you do a retrofit are illegal. If the HID's are not factory they are pretty much illegal. It sucks but it's because soo many people throw HID's in there stock housings and blind everyone instead of doing a retrofit and doing it the correct way.

So not sure how they advertise street legal since adding HID's is not legal. At least last time I checked unless they changed it very recently which I doubt they did.

Quick Reply: Volant is in the house=)