2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Madness Started

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:38 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Madness Started

Well I started rippin into my truck. Greg (pcfixerpro) came over and helped me out. We didn't get much done due to having to go get a damn Fan clutch wrench thing. It was a start though and thats all that matters. We got the rad, shroud, and fan out and the tb off. Still not sure what all I'll be changing but for sure it will be Hughes Plenum kit,180* t-stat, and EQ Magnum heads. I am still considering cam, timing chain, and water pump.

Thanks again Greg for your help!

Heres some pics

Before we started
Name:  DriverSideBefore.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  70.2 KB
Name:  FrontOnBefore.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  PassSideBefore.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  73.6 KB
Name:  TopViewBefore.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  46.9 KB

After We gave up for the day (more like I gave up. I was starving. Greg was ready to keep wrenching)

Name:  RadShroudFanremovedFrontOn.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  55.5 KB
Name:  RadShroudFanremovedPassSideView.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  84.9 KB

I'll keep this updated as I make progress

Old 08-31-2008, 02:35 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt work to hard , see the tea is still full .. Should of called me , i would of bought a tourch , welder , my snap on chest , engine puller , then the funs would of happen...
Keep taken pictures , they mite come in handy..

Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

PA,

You wanna drive down to Texas and be my wrenchin' buddy when I swap out my heads, cam, and add headers? Pretty please? I'll make you some sweet tea too!

Old 08-31-2008, 10:06 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
PA,

You wanna drive down to Texas and be my wrenchin' buddy when I swap out my heads, cam, and add headers? Pretty please? I'll make you some sweet tea too!

weld some floates on the truck , depends what part of texas

Old 08-31-2008, 12:04 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I also had my nieces birthday party that I had to get to. It started at 12 and I didn't get there till 6 something. I would have started early this morning but had a couple fire calls so I'm getting a late start.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck to you, BB2! I'm down to just a short block with a dipstick tube sticking out of it, lol. However, I'm starting to reassemble it. Successfully replaced #4 cam bearing yesterday, but new cam does not turn without some effort, so now I'm polishing the new bearing down with a Norton bear pad to get free movement of the cam before I degree it in. Best tip I can give on your project is to keep everything as clean as you can and use lots of WD40, etc. to keep things from rusting while the engine is open. Kind of treat it as an open wound until you can get it closed up.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Here's som pics:

Attached Thumbnails Madness Started-cam_bearing_2.jpg   Madness Started-cam_bearing_1.jpg  
Old 08-31-2008, 03:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrex
Here's som pics:
I would say that #1 and #6 are TDC. You must have Reid helping you with as clean as that motor is.

You have that thing stripped that far down, why not just bore it out .030 over, huh?

Great pics BTW. What did you end up using there instead of the 6" bolt? And how were you able to replace the cam bearing without pulling the block?

Old 08-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Trey318
Captain

For a timing chain, AutoZone has a double-row for $37 (for the 318). Anyway, good luck.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I would say that #1 and #6 are TDC. You must have Reid helping you with as clean as that motor is.

You have that thing stripped that far down, why not just bore it out .030 over, huh?

Great pics BTW. What did you end up using there instead of the 6" bolt? And how were you able to replace the cam bearing without pulling the block?
Well, the cleanliness of the truck and engine were some of the main reasons I was "suckered" into buying the truck. The guy I bought it from is very **** about cleanliness and changing his oil every 3000 miles. When I broke the motor open, I knew then he wasn't lying because there is no sludge and only a tiny amount varnish here and there. I chose to save some money and keep the short block as-is simply because it flat doesn't need a rebuild yet. I think it's just now broke in. The other reason is I simply just don't have the room. My one-car garage is already filled with an Austin-Healey 3000 project, plus all the parts I took off the Ram. I can't even get to my work bench now, lol.

Thanks, I'm taking the pics in case anyone wants to see a dyi on replacing a bad cam bearing. It is possible to do on the magnum engine because of the oval cut-outs in the valley. Without those, you couldn't do it. I also bit the bullet and bought the snap-on cam bearing tool which made the job a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I had to assemble the driver and expander inside the block because they would not pass-through the #3 bearing. For the cam bolt, I used about 18" of all-thread and wrapped it in duct tape.

Quick Reply: Madness Started