2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Header 101

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header 101

Well I just got a set of the ceramic coated pasesetter shorty headers in the mail this afternoon. Already have a set of stage 8 locking header bolts sitting next to them. Caught a deal I couldn't turn down (what always gets me in trouble). Anyway I've looked through many of the header threads around here and am trying to be the best prepared I can for the install towards the end of next month. I also plan on buying the remflex gaskets as suggested by many others on the site, including bluebeast2. As far as preparing for the installation im setting a week dedicated for soaking them with anything I can get my hands on basically. PB Blaster, Kroil, etc. Is there anyone who installed headers around 100,000 miles that did not break bolts? Just curious as to how you prepared for your installation, and if anyone has some pointers from those who have been in my shoes before.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Old 11-02-2008, 12:03 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i didnt do headers, but i did take the bottom header bolts off, and they were fine, didnt break one, and i took both sides off, unless you are talking about the bolts that go in the block,, as for that, i have no idea

Old 11-02-2008, 12:07 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
well i didnt do headers, but i did take the bottom header bolts off, and they were fine, didnt break one, and i took both sides off, unless you are talking about the bolts that go in the block,, as for that, i have no idea
Yea im not worried about the down tube bolts because if they snap, they are no big deal. Im concerned with the bolts that go into the cylinder head. Thanks for the response though.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:38 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i would soak the for a few days, doesnt have to be a week. but i did that at 118K and they didnt even creak, but just keep a drill and some easy outs on hand. you should be fine.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:08 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Forgot to mention this in my first post, but what is the suggested cycle of tightening the locking header bolts. Im figuring I would put the bolts in torqued to spec as per instructions from pasesetter, and keep the locks off. Get her up to operating temp from idleing, then let her cool down. Check torque specs for the 2nd time. Then take her for a short drive a while and come back to let her cool down. Double check the torque once again and then throw the locks on?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:09 PM
busaguy05
Professional

I put long tube headers on mine at about 175,xxx and had no problems. soaked the bolts for a few minutes and they came right out.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

pb blaster, and a breaker bar. Dont jerk on the bolts with the breaker bar, just ease them off and they will come loose.

just put pacesetter longs on and had no problems.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:34 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Im glad there are two success stories at least. Motorbrreath, didn't you do a motor swap a year before you put your headers on? Just curious. A buddy of mine put a set on last year and broke one or two. My roommate put some on his monte carlo and broke a few. I'll take her easy I guess. Thanks for the tip Motorbrreath

Old 11-02-2008, 06:21 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

PB blaster the night before should be more than enough. Just be sure to get the bolts thoroughly soaked and make sure you spray behind the manifold to get the bolts where they enter the heads.

I had to remove the studs with vise grips so I made sure I soaked the stud on the head when i swapped it out.

As far as torquing goes: I couldn't torque them as I couldn't get a torque wrench onto the bolts. I just went as tight as I could get with the open ended wrench then drove it to get them nice and hot, let it cool and retightened. Then I checked it at the end of the first week, they were all tight. Just checked them again this weekend (4 weeks later), still tight. That's basically what Gibson recommended to do.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Told you all I know. But I'll post for the post count. I have a tight space right angle drill if you need it

Quick Reply: Header 101