2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some help, exhaust gurus

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help, exhaust gurus

OK, stopped by a local muffler shop and got a quote. Need to know if it's in line or a screw job.

I asked for a single exhuast system, all 3" cat back. I supply the cat and muffler. This was the reply:

$250 gets me the above with aluminized tubing, not stainless. He claims he can't get stainless tubing in the aftermarket. He also recommends I buy two new O2s because I'm changing the exhaust flow.

I think I need to shop around some more. what do you gents think?

Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems a little on the high side. but if he does quality work and has good quality pipe it may be worth it.this is something that i am having a problem with.i just donnt want to spend the big bucks on the exhaust.its my next thing for sure.i just gotta decide.

it never hurts to get another price from a different shop.i think some shops get mad if you donnt buy the muffler and stuff from them.

Last edited by talon6; 11-11-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds high. I paid $350 for a catback system with a single in dual out Flowmaster 40 and 2 stainless steel tips. I think I paid $90 later on to have my cat put on and I supplied the cat.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

i brought the mufflers, and i paid 125 for duel exhaust and the piping kit that they had in stock at monroe muffler

Old 11-11-2008, 03:04 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

250 doesnt sound too bad for pipes, and install.

I paid 300 for my cat back duals kit with aluminum pipes and flowmaster muffler alone (not installed). subtract the muffler and your about 250 like you were quoted.

I paid 50 install for the cat when I had mine installed. hometheaterman said 90 for his. but thats included in your price.

It doesnt sound like a bad deal, but not a lets run out and get it done right now. Also I would look around for some stainless pipe. I installed my exhaust kit two years ago and my pipes are almost ready to rust through. It's sickening... so when it does rust through, its getting dumped out of the muffler. Also take into account that he will probably have to weld a bung into the one pipe that your replacing with 3" pipe. That will take some time. Again, doesn't sound like a bad deal, but see what else is out there.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Your going to pay a little bit more for stainless... but I think is the best way to go unless you want to keep replacing everything every few years. Get a kit thats already done up unless your stuck on a particular muffler. I know you just dumped a bunch of money into your truck, so im sure you want it to sound good. I do know that magnaflow makes stainless kits, and thats the only reason im suggesting it. Maybe you could get the shop to weld the cat up and the intermediate pipe. then throw this on yourself.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

just a suggestion. If the link doesnt work, it is magnaflow kit 15727 3" in, 3" out, 3.5" tip stainless.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Down south we don't get any salt on the roads, but I would still rather have stainless if I can get it. I'm willing to pay the difference for it. He told me his bending machine will split up the stainless even if he had it. Don't know how true that is.

I know there have been threads about using wide band O2s. Maybe I need to look into this.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I think these o2's are already wideband if im not mistaken. Your o2's will probably be fine. I just threw in a new set after I put in my magnaflow cat a few months ago now. Figured they had 100,000 miles on them stock so they probably should have been changed by now and make sure the front one is setting the mixture right.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought my muffler and tips and mieinike installed it for 250 , they supplied labor and piping, then later on bought a cat for 80 and they put that on for 50 bucks, isnt a bad deal, if you have a meinike check them out, and they were the only place that would touch my cat.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 PM
TXcharger07
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my catback done with 3in/out magnaflow muffler and a $80 magnaflow tip for $250

try somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Need some help, exhaust gurus