2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tune-up: plug,cap,wire recommedations

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:57 PM
stroken76
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune-up: plug,cap,wire recommedations

Hi have a 99 Ram 5.9 stock except for a K&N and cat back. Does anyone out there prefer a certain plug brand for the 360. also cap and wires. Thanks Stroken

Old 11-13-2008, 03:17 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Autolite 3923s are a good choice for spark plugs. Any cap and rotor will be good as long as it has brass tips. MSD 8.5 mm, MSD Streetfire 8.0mm(cheaper than 8.5s), and Taylor 8.2s are all good choices. If you ever plan to get a performance coil, stay away from ACCEL coils, as they fail often.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:07 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by PURPLDODGERAMITMFERS
Autolite 3923s are a good choice for spark plugs. Any cap and rotor will be good as long as it has brass tips. MSD 8.5 mm, MSD Streetfire 8.0mm(cheaper than 8.5s), and Taylor 8.2s are all good choices. If you ever plan to get a performance coil, stay away from ACCEL coils, as they fail often.
A actually perfer the opposite. I like the regular champion plugs over the autolites. I've tried them, but didn't like them. As far as the wires, I have the mopar performance wires which are 7.5mm I think. I chose them because they can stay in the stock wire holders. I wouldn't recommend that specific set again, but I would get something around 7.5 ish.. anything more is a complete waste in my opinion. Finally PURPLDODGERAMITMFERS suggests to stay away from the ACCEL coils as they aparently fail often. I have never seen a thread where ACCEL coils fail often so if you wouldn't mind digging that up for me, it would be appreciated (thanks in advance). Someone may have gotten a bad one here and there out of the bunch, which is going to happen with any company. I have used the ACCEL coil with the adapter harness for two years now without one single problem. I do like having brass terminals which is why I chose summit racing's cap and rotor combo. There are plenty of options out there, and pretty much what ever you choose you can't go wrong.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen quite a few threads where the accel coils failed. I had one and didn't think much about. Truck quit at the edge of town one day and I still had the old coil laying behind of the seat so I put it on and all was well again. The accel did last almost two years though.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have iridium ix, with msd coil and 8.5 wires, they work pretty well together. depends on how much you want too spend.i spent the money for the performance and the quality of the metarial. so it last longer,

Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by charlie1935
I have seen quite a few threads where the accel coils failed. I had one and didn't think much about. Truck quit at the edge of town one day and I still had the old coil laying behind of the seat so I put it on and all was well again. The accel did last almost two years though.
I've only heard people repeating that they have failed often, but haven't really ever heard first hand info that they have failed except yours now. Hopefully purple will bring up some threads of this for me when he gets the chance. I hope I am wrong, but I can't bash a product that is still working they way it was supposed to for me. Heck, thats all I ask for.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I've always heard to stay away from the Accel coils too but don't remember many threads first hand where they failed.

As for plugs I didn't like the Autolites when I tried them either. The Champions run much better in my truck as well as many others. I switched back to Champions after a month or two.

For wires I like the MSD ones and that's what I run but OEM would be fine too or most as long as you get a quality set.

For the cap and rotor I run NAPA ones but any with brass terminals on the cap should be okay.

For the coil I'd stick with OEM or MSD but I honestly don't see why you really need to change that unless it's bad.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 PM
stroken76
Rookie

Thanks for all the good info from all replies, I bought the truck a couple years ago and put about 6-7K miles on it since. I dont need it as a daily driver. I think cap & wires are Mopar,I have been wanting to put a tune up on it. Thanks Again for the response. Stroken

Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Keegan
Professional

Could a bad coil cause ONE cylinder to misfire ?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:59 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Keegan
Could a bad coil cause ONE cylinder to misfire ?
Coil? no

Quick Reply: Tune-up: plug,cap,wire recommedations