2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions about transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 PM
xecutech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am able to get under it without jacking it up. At least I think I can do it without jacking it up.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:32 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright if you do it on level ground then start at the front. The transmission tilts that way, slightly.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 PM
bigsquat

when you change your filter and the oil you only get less than 1/2 the old oil out. the rest is still in the tork converter and coolers and etc. I pull the return line to the trany off at the trans cooler. put a hose on it and run it to a container. this is after i put the gasket and filter in and filled the tranny to an appropriate level . i put the e brake on and block the wheels ,start the engine and put it in gear. the old oil starts to pump out into the container instead of back to the clean filter and pan. i keep adding fluid as needed. once the fuid turns clear your done. the whole system is flushed and not a 50/50 mix of good and bad oil! check level again after you drive a little.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:32 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bigsquat
when you change your filter and the oil you only get less than 1/2 the old oil out. the rest is still in the tork converter and coolers and etc. I pull the return line to the trany off at the trans cooler. put a hose on it and run it to a container. this is after i put the gasket and filter in and filled the tranny to an appropriate level . i put the e brake on and block the wheels ,start the engine and put it in gear. the old oil starts to pump out into the container instead of back to the clean filter and pan. i keep adding fluid as needed. once the fuid turns clear your done. the whole system is flushed and not a 50/50 mix of good and bad oil! check level again after you drive a little.

If you do this method, be careful. You gotta stay on top of adding fluid, it can run dry pretty quick, once that happens the pump will start running metal to metal.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:59 AM
bigsquat

Originally Posted by MonteC
If you do this method, be careful. You gotta stay on top of adding fluid, it can run dry pretty quick, once that happens the pump will start running metal to metal.
is there a better way of doing it , and still do it at home?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Nope, Im just telling anyone that wants to do this method to be careful, you can ruin the transmission in a heartbeat.

Usually you just need to let it drain overnight and refill. The old fluid wont hurt anything, that is as long as its not full of metal or debris, and if its full of metal and debris then you have bigger problems. If that fluid is just old, then draining the pan and letting it sit over night will suffice.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:54 PM
bigsquat

so does the tork converter drain also overnight? how much oil do you think is left if u dont flush? I also like to get it done in one shot. i hate waiting.
sorry for the spelling.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

The converter will drain half way out over night. Ive probably gotten 8 quarts out with this method. Like i said the old fluid wont hurt anything. Im sorry your impatient, but how happy are you going to be when that pump runs dry and you lose a lot of line pressure?

All i said was to be careful when doing it how you do it, and that i dont recommend it.

Last edited by MonteC; 12-05-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

Hello all new to the forum, hope I can help out..........big squat, also you can clean out the cooler on the radiator and lines ,with a product NAPA sells it has a tube on it and is an aresol, cleaner, it can screw on to the hoses or it can be adapted with a hose clamp after cutting off the end, it cleans it out pretty decent, the other method mentioned, is the best ,but if it is your first time BE CAREFULL as stated before, the cleaner does a pretty good job...I run 2 cans through when installing a different tranny, to clean out the lines and cooler of junk, make sure you get it on the right line ,some of the newer lines have check valves in them ,you can tell by the short piece of hose that is connected right before the cooler in the radiator, the other one will just have the hose straight to the cooler.

Quick Reply: Questions about transmission