2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I stay or should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Matt Harwood
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I stay or should I go?

My love-hate relationship with the big, red Dodge has swung back over to hate. This morning, the transmission cooler line ruptured and dumped all the transmission fluid on the ground as I was driving, eventually coasting to a stop, dead. I effected a repair with a hose barb and some hose clamps and got it going again, but it doesn't feel right anymore. It drives and shifts, but not like it did yesterday.

At this point, I'm not sure I want to dump more money into this POS. It works hard, I love how it looks and I like driving it, but it's turning into a money pit. I'm looking at spending another $1500 into it for a transmission (right?).

I hate to keep spending money on it because there will always be something wrong and it is already well on its way to rust city (passenger's side is all-new, thanks to an icy road and my insurance company), but the driver's side fender, door, rocker and bed have the usual issues. It's also 11 years old.

What's this truck worth? Do I keep patching it together while it rots out from under me or should I cut my losses and run?

1998 2500 quad cab 4x4 long bed, 8800 GVW (essentially a dually without the double wheels).
5.9 V8/automatic
Red over silver
Loaded
80,000 miles
bedliner/tonneau cover
Lots of new expensive stuff (axles, brakes, hubs, U-joints, distributor, new 265-75-16 Goodyears, catalytic converter Y-pipe, battery, etc.)

Anyone want it? Make me an offer.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
ron333
Captain

You have to consider what you'll be replacing it with; a NEW truck, a used one, or something else entirely. How much do you like your truck now, when things are working fine? I'm assuming you own your truck now and don't have to make loan payments on it.

With a NEW truck, it's gonna cost you a LOT, while you won't be getting near what you have in your old one. If you bought a brand new one for say, $35,000 - I'm just using what I think a low average might be to get you close to what you have now. The interest on that loan will be in the thousands of dollars, so you'll more than likely be over $40,000 into it by the time it's paid off. No matter which way you go, both trucks are going to depreciate in value. The new one will do it much faster at first, but both will, so neither is an investment for profit, but an investment in your driving pleasure.

Just imagine what could be done to the truck you already own with $40,000!!!!! You could have the body all redone to NEW condition, a HIGH performance engine and tranny, the interior could be redone, a killer stereo system, new rims and tires, a lift kit. and still have money left over...(for feeding the thirsty beast) You'll have the perfect truck for you. OR... After spending $40,000 on a NEW one, you'll end up with a newer "stock" truck that you'll want to spend even more money on to make it "your own". Also, you're obligated to spend money by making payments every month for the NEW truck, but you could spend the money as needed or as wanted if you put it into the one you already own. I always hate being behind the 8-ball.

This is how I look at this situation since I've been there myself in the past, just not while I've owned the truck I have now. Sometimes there's just too much "bad blood" with the vehicle you have and you won't be satisfied with it, ever. I've always looked long and hard about what I really want before jumping into debt for a new vehicle. Sometimes it really is the right answer, but not always.

Best wishes on your dilemma. Only you can make the decision that is right for you on this. I just felt I should share my view on it since I know exactly where you're coming from.

Last edited by ron333; 11-24-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM
GoldenOne
Default Pricing a new truck

Well, it seems like you're in a bit of a heartbreaking situation here. Well, last year I had a similar problem going on, I could either fix up my old truck little by little or get a whole new one. Well, after praying, seriously thinking, and calculating, I saved a whole lot more just getting a whole new truck! I don't know where you're from, but down here by Houston, trucks are running really low as price wise. Like for instance, a couple of months ago the dealership where I got my truck was selling all '08 HEMI's at 1/2 price and now all trucks are up to 45% off or you get their employee discount which comes close to that. Now like what the other guy said about $40,000, well yes you can add it to your old truck in repairs, time, and gas, or you can get a brand new 4X4 3/4 ton MegaCab fully loaded for about 35,000. That leaves you about $5000 to play with, but you also gotta remember that the ones in the front don't always mean that they're the priciest one's just because they're the best looking with the lift kit, after market wheels/tires, skid plates, ect... I just sent my friend to get an '09 HEMI from the dealership and he showed up at my house Saturday night in a brend new Laramie 3/4 ton MegaCab Cummins deisel 4X4 jacked up with some nice wheels and Mickey Thompsons, and he said he spent a total $45,000 and some change. The reason he said he didn't pay so much was because 1 guy that was supposed to buy it asked for it to get fixed up but then he backed down after the deal was already done, the truck spent about 6 to 8 months for sale but nobody would bite with the new big price, he went over and they told him if he wanted a 4X4 to look at that one first then the others and also to look at all the prices. Ofcoarse he chose that one, it had about 150 miles on test drives but it's brand new, 10 year/100,000 mile warranty and is just badass!!! I wish I would have waited another year, but I wouldn't have what I have now. So, look at sale prices, oh and the used '07's over here right now are running under $15,000 loaded, so that's another route to go, they also have the big warranties as well. So I hope I helped a little, oh, and who knows, you could keep the old one, buy a new one and fix your old one little by lttle and have 2 toys to play with, that's the way I see it...

Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Harwood
Lots of new expensive stuff (axles, brakes, hubs, U-joints, distributor, new 265-75-16 Goodyears, catalytic converter Y-pipe, battery, etc.)

sound to me the last thing to do would be the trans and your done, no more problems after that, the only things that might go would be the plenum and ball joints, then all the things that go wrong with these dodge be covered.... besides the bodywork... you got to think that you know eveything about your truck(were it been how it's be driven), if you buy a used truck you don't know these thing, and end buying a lemon and not knowing it...... just my 2 cents.. i feel im in the same spot with my truck

Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM
JBs DAK
Captain

My truck has over 230,000 on it.
Love-it... Plows snow like a dream,..
Put 35,000 on it this year & never left
me stranded. Towed my mustang to Kentucky
this past June & got me there and back just fine.
Yeah I've replaced the trans. Every U-joint and
seal there is. Brakes and more brakes and more.
Stops like crap,.. Always has and, I think it always
will. Did the rear-end twice. And there is a LOT more
that can go on the list but, ya know what?? Paint peeling
and rust taking over everywhere, I know this truck has and will last
longer than any Ford or Chebby out there. Keep it cause, the NEXT
truck you buy will drain your wallet faster than a Dodge will.
(My OP).

Old 11-24-2008, 05:18 PM
jmhai
Veteran

Well looks like you got ideas from both sides of the fence....post up how it all pans out...I myself don't plan on buyin another truck till they start gettin better mpg in town and the same specs as what I have now...

Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Matt Harwood
Professional

Well, I have decided to keep it based largely on what the guys here said. First, it's not worth anything, so even if I want something else, it's coming out of my pocket. Second, the transmission is probably something that will have to be fixed just to sell it (does anyone ever buy a vehicle with a bad transmission?). Third, by the time I'm done, all the expensive stuff will be fixed anyway. The only concern is rust, but hell, it's just a work truck. I'll throw a new front fender on it next spring and see about the door and bedside at the same time.

A friend of a friend who is a Mercedes tech is going to rebuild the transmission for $1250 installed. That seems like a very good price to me, and includes a torque convertor. He seems very knowledgeable about Dodge transmissions, and I trust the friend to know his stuff. And as long as he has it apart, I'm going to have him throw a new starter in there because mine is getting a little sluggish, plus the new exhaust manifold and catalytic converter Y-pipe since he'll have to take it off anyway. I may also have him reseal the transfer case.

So I'm keeping it. Let's hope this is the end of the headaches for a long while. Thanks for the advice--it was very helpful.

Last edited by Matt Harwood; 11-25-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JBs DAK
My truck has over 230,000 on it.
Love-it... Plows snow like a dream,..
Put 35,000 on it this year & never left
me stranded. Towed my mustang to Kentucky
this past June & got me there and back just fine.
Yeah I've replaced the trans. Every U-joint and
seal there is. Brakes and more brakes and more.
Stops like crap,.. Always has and, I think it always
will. Did the rear-end twice. And there is a LOT more
that can go on the list but, ya know what?? Paint peeling
and rust taking over everywhere, I know this truck has and will last
longer than any Ford or Chebby out there. Keep it cause, the NEXT
truck you buy will drain your wallet faster than a Dodge will.
(My OP).

I could not agree more with you! A truck is something to be proud of! You use it, abuse, and expect it not to break.. but guess what.. everthing breaks down over time! BUT.. when you replace parts and repair your truck it should give you the feeling of pride... your truck doesn't have to be a looker, but open the hood and she should run like a dream! Like my wife always trys to tell me.. it's not about how she looks, it's about what's on the inside that counts... Yeah I know I don't get it either but I think she's trying to tell me to give her an oil change! hahaha

Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

I think that you made a good choice, because like one earlier post said, whatever you repair is not going to equal out to paying for a new truck...that adds up every month. I hope you don't have any more trouble after the tranny. You just gotta remember that they need TLC. The mileage will always suck, but oh well...price we pay, right?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 AM
ramario99
Professional

tuff luv!

Quick Reply: Should I stay or should I go?