2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalls in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Chad Rakes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Ram stalls in Reverse

I would like to think all of you who posted in here concerning Rams stalling in Reverse. I was battling the same problem after fixing a front oil pump seal. Like some of you, I checked connections, looked for vacuum leaked, etc. After reading in here and seeing that about 3 or 4 had solved your problem by changing the crank sensor, I said Wth. I changed mine and magic, it fixed my problem as well. Thanks again for everyone's post.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Rakes
I would like to think all of you who posted in here concerning Rams stalling in Reverse. I was battling the same problem after fixing a front oil pump seal. Like some of you, I checked connections, looked for vacuum leaked, etc. After reading in here and seeing that about 3 or 4 had solved your problem by changing the crank sensor, I said Wth. I changed mine and magic, it fixed my problem as well. Thanks again for everyone's post.
Welcome to DF!

Ya know, we love folks like you, that can search, find their problem, fix it, and then report the results. Bear in mind, our truck don't particularly care for aftermarket sensors in critical areas, and the crank sensor is a big one. If you start having running problems later on down the road, look there first.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Crissie RO

While backing out of my driveway my 1500 1995 ram will stall once i put it into drive. Will not stall if i put it in nuetral or park only drive. Will not stall after going from drive to reverse only reverse to drive. It also only happens when i havent drove it in a couple hrs.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Welcome to DF!

Yank the throttle body, remove the IAC motor, and clean the IAC well. (and clean it well. ) Leave the battery disconnected while you are doing it. Once back together, (and battery connected) turn the key to "on", count to 10, then start the engine. (don't touch anything else while you count) See if that doesn't improve its attitude any.

While you have the throttle body off, take a look down toward the back of the intake, and see if you see any oil pooling.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Chelsey Miaoulis

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
ok it stalls in reverse...when you shift it to drive when it passes reverse does it stall? Do you have to start in neutral, then put it into drive so you dont have to pass reverse? Or does it stall when reverse is completly engaged?
This is what mine just starting doing it did it about a month ago one time but started right back up after that now it's acting up every time I put it in reverse it cuts off it haven't tried starting in neutral tho I just want it fixed whatever it is 2 babies 1 vehicle 2 adulta wit different jobs it runs great tho it just started this

Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Chelsey Miaoulis
Default Help

Originally Posted by Crissie RO
While backing out of my driveway my 1500 1995 ram will stall once i put it into drive. Will not stall if i put it in nuetral or park only drive. Will not stall after going from drive to reverse only reverse to drive. It also only happens when i havent drove it in a couple hrs.

did u find the problem this is what mine started doing

Old 01-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Chelsey Miaoulis

Originally Posted by Crissie RO
Originally Posted by zman17
Looks like you back out of the driveway so obviously you put it in reverse, what does it do when you put it in drive under the same circumstances?
Mine will sometimes cut off trying g to go into drive bur just started cutting off when I go into reverse it was fine yesterday the day b4 it did it & again this morning any suggestions

Old 01-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Chelsey Miaoulis

Originally Posted by lilbootch
Zman, the trans goes right into gear when I put it in drive. Just the stall issue when it's been sitting for a while.
did u figure out what was wrong ?? Mine is doing the same

Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Chelsey Miaoulis

Originally Posted by mikeroy68
I have a 1999 1500 with a 5.9 which is having a similar problem. I live in Canada and now that it is cold out, my truck is stalling in reverse but not in drive. A couple of mornings ago, it stalled at least 15 times before I could get backed away from the house but at the same time I could drive ahead without any problems. The truck had been running for about 5 minutes to warm up. After driving it to town (about 5 miles) I never have anymore problems for the day but in the morning, it is the same thing all over again.
what was the problem this is what mine is doing

Old 01-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Cmiaoulis
Default Help

Originally Posted by MetalHead1
I have the same problem with my trans that i just had rebuilt but i was able to pull a code 1391. so im thinking bad crank sensor or so. just trying to figure if this is correct.
was this what the problem was ??

Quick Reply: Stalls in reverse