2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transgo video

Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
bmet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteC
At that point you should go to the written directions and follow them.
Seems like a good idea except you are the one who said the written directions suck and gave you problems following them. How about giving those of us who have not done an install some pointers as to what problems you encountered and what we can expect in the install, that would be very helpful.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:17 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

hey, I said the written directions suck, don't be giving Montec any credit for that!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:17 PM
bmet

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
hey, I said the written directions suck, don't be giving Montec any credit for that!
You're right, sorry for the misquote, but he did say the instructions were a pain in the *** for him and he is a master tech. So what does that say for the rest of us. Anyway, I was thinking that if someone who has put one of these in and has had to work around the instructions, maybe it would be helpful to update the instructions with a PDF document with changes on this forum.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

didnt TRUCKS or etreme 4x4 on spike do a transgo install a year or so back? it seemed maybe looking for that episode would help. i wish i knew when it aired or how to help you. maybe check out their site then download that episode from some 3rd party torrent site or something.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:37 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
LOL! Im stealing your credit!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmet
Seems like a good idea except you are the one who said the written directions suck and gave you problems following them. How about giving those of us who have not done an install some pointers as to what problems you encountered and what we can expect in the install, that would be very helpful.
Ive never installed a trangsgo kit for the 46re. Nobody has asked for that or needed it yet. Ive installed trangsgos in the 4l60e, 4l60, 604, 606, RE4RO3A, and many other transmissions that you have probably never heard of. We have a transgo on the shelf for a chrysler RWD but i dont want to open it just to read the directions. If you were to scan the directions and email them to me i could help you with everything you needed to know. All of the steps are easy, its just a pain to follow the directions because he jumps around so much. You have to read the entire set of directions before you begin.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 AM
bmet

MonteC
Thanks for the info, knowing the instructions are complete is helpfull enough. When I get my kit I will study the directions until I am sure I can do the install and ask a lot of questions. However, I now am having problems I think with my torque converter. I have to resolve that issue first. I have a new thread about that if you could give me some help as you know alot about transmissions.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Bandit-8

I am some what in the same boat with the shift kit. I have read the instructions several times. It really does look like a straight forward instal. But a video of a technician going threw the process would greatly help in giving me more confidence. Supposedly this kit is recommended inorder to correct a couple different problems with the Dodge tranny. But I look at it this way. First off my transmission just gave 140k miles of great performance before burning out the forward direct frictions and steels, eating the belville spring and spacer plus blowing the rubber O ring into 3 pieces. Outside of that the rest of the transmission looked to e in great shape.

I am a first time diy feller with about 40 years of mechanical experience. But I have never before a few days ago ever rebuilt an automatic tanny.

I just finished my 518 tranny that goes behind a V-10 8.0 L engine.

When I bought the kit and torqueconverter for the rebuild the supplier talked me into the VB Kit , said it would correct some factory problems with the unit. It sounded good to me so Like a bluegil I took the bait.

Here`s my problem now.
One the kit is not exactly as clear as I would like it to be. The instructions comes with sme un-necessary print where the space could be used for more actual instructions on the insatl.

Second, If I do the VB kit instal and screw something up how am I going to know whether or not it`s a VB problem or something I done in the main parts of the tranny?.

I have decided to put my VB back in as is from the factory but clean. This way I can test my tranny rebuild and know if it works like it use to when it was in good shape before it failed.

Then if the transmission works I`ll re-drop the pan and do the VB up grade.

I am just not that comfortable doing both the main tranny and the VB at the same time because there is no way I would know where the problem was if something is not right.

I know this is an old thread. But I am also interesed in a complete video of how to modify the VB.
If any one can help with an addy to such a video it would be appreciated.

Thank You
Ed

Old 12-23-2012, 02:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

have a look in the faq section, at the Trans thread by J415, he has some great links in there to walkthru's for tranny rebuilds.

Did you just get a generic shift kit, or is it the sure cure kit??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transgo video