2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB Install Image

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 AM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well good news guys, i traded my trailer brake controller to my buddy that i originally sold my 102 whip to, basically im getting my 102 whip back, gonna mount it like one of the other guys did on the page prior with the recepticle cover. got my radio mounted in the cab, and pa wire ran, just gotta run power and ground and ill be all set.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Andrew2500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics pics pics!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

yes i can still use the cup holder

Old 10-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Andrew2500
Professional

Very nice! I like the location of that power inverter too. What's that in place of the ash tray?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 AM
004x41500
Record Breaker

i made a switch panel out of sheet metal, i have one for my front fogs, front amber dash light, back up lights, air compressor, and train horn button. it certainly cleaned up the dash alot. i originally had the invertor where the cb is now, but the cb was to bulky to put on the 4x4 shifter so i just made a bracket to mount my cb to the cup holder and i just used some 1/2" self taping screws to hold everything together. im actually pretty happy with the way it looks now. looks much more professional, and cleaner.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Andrew2500
Professional

So I'm getting a new antenna for my truck. I'm gonna dump the window mount and get this baby for my scanner:

http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/A...nnaSpectra.htm

This was reccomended by one of the dispatchers on my fire department. I'm going to get a hood mount for it.

Eventually (with strss in the eventually) when I get some cash under my belt I'm going to buy a digital trunking scanner so that I can scan APCO Project 25 digital 800mhz. My PRO-160 will be dedicated to scanning analog channels while my digital scanner will be dedicated to scanning digital channels with it's own 800mhz antenna. At that point if I really wanna go wild and spend some cash, I'm going to buy a back rack with dual antenna mounts on the top and mount both antennas to it.

I love being a geek.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maverick Nos
I made it with two pieces of galvanized steel flat stock and a receptacle cover. I connected them using simple self tappers. I would have welded it but galvi is a bitch to weld. Also if you use galvi make sure you run extra grounding straps because it does not conduct electricity well. The reason I made it, is because of my fiberglass cover and I wanted something that was centered on the truck with a great ground plain. Any questions hit me up.

Could this be easily adapted for use with standard antenna studs?
I'd assume so, just wondering what the designer's opinion is.

I'm seriously in the market for a new antenna setup. My old RadioShack magnet mount kicked the bucket. It kept getting knocked off and the magnet fell out. Then my mom knocked it off while she was driving and drug it because she couldn't hear it (she's deaf).
Anyway- I'm driving down to Texas to visit family this Christmas and a 4000 mile round trip without a CB does not sound enjoyable. (Especially since I'll be hauling butt to turn a 35 hour drive into a little as possible because my semester ends at 3:45 on the 22nd!)

Now then.
I've been looking at various antenna designs and mounts.
I really hate the magnet mount for two main reasons- low trees on unmaintained roads and moisture under the antenna screwing with the ground. I will get a magnet mount temporarily just for this trip if all else fails.
I really like the look of the dual antennas mounted on the box corners. This isn't the best for performance, though. I was thinking 5' Firesticks, but with antennas, mounts, cable and etc it would cost at least $100. I'm on a reaaally tight budget.
I was thinking of the hood lip mount instead of the duals and using a 4ft Firestick for that. Still a possibility.

And then.. I found a 102" steel whip online for $40. I then saw your mounting bracket. I have a toolbox so I was wondering about ways to install an antenna and keep the box. The tool box is installed using J hooks under the bed sides so it can be removed or adjusted.

I like your mount- so even if I don't use it for a 102" whip, it would still work for a single smaller antenna or for a dual antenna setup.
I would like some more detail on the grounding straps, if you don't mind, though.
Also, what do you do to tie down the antenna when you need low clearance?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:31 AM
004x41500
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Oren09
Could this be easily adapted for use with standard antenna studs?
I'd assume so, just wondering what the designer's opinion is.

I'm seriously in the market for a new antenna setup. My old RadioShack magnet mount kicked the bucket. It kept getting knocked off and the magnet fell out. Then my mom knocked it off while she was driving and drug it because she couldn't hear it (she's deaf).
Anyway- I'm driving down to Texas to visit family this Christmas and a 4000 mile round trip without a CB does not sound enjoyable. (Especially since I'll be hauling butt to turn a 35 hour drive into a little as possible because my semester ends at 3:45 on the 22nd!)

Now then.
I've been looking at various antenna designs and mounts.
I really hate the magnet mount for two main reasons- low trees on unmaintained roads and moisture under the antenna screwing with the ground. I will get a magnet mount temporarily just for this trip if all else fails.
I really like the look of the dual antennas mounted on the box corners. This isn't the best for performance, though. I was thinking 5' Firesticks, but with antennas, mounts, cable and etc it would cost at least $100. I'm on a reaaally tight budget.
I was thinking of the hood lip mount instead of the duals and using a 4ft Firestick for that. Still a possibility.

And then.. I found a 102" steel whip online for $40. I then saw your mounting bracket. I have a toolbox so I was wondering about ways to install an antenna and keep the box. The tool box is installed using J hooks under the bed sides so it can be removed or adjusted.

I like your mount- so even if I don't use it for a 102" whip, it would still work for a single smaller antenna or for a dual antenna setup.
I would like some more detail on the grounding straps, if you don't mind, though.
Also, what do you do to tie down the antenna when you need low clearance?

yes it can be adapted, as i ued his design and changed it a bit. i used this roofing tie
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
some nuts bolts and washers (5/16 hardware)

as far as the 102" check your local radioshack they normally have them in stock if not they can order them and theyre only about $20

you can actually put a mount right on your toolbox.

you can use this mount, and just drill the bolt holes, and use the back plate on the inside of the tool box and youll have a rather strong ant mount.
http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Shack-An.../dp/B001CF0JM6

in a few mins ill run out and take a pic of my setup so you can see how i have it configured.

Last edited by 004x41500; 10-27-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 AM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!
That's more of what I was thinking. I don't really want the big ball mount w/ spring.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

no problem. it didnt matter much to me, i just went with something cheap and simple. i also had to cut the bracket a little bit at the top to clear my cover, but if you dont have one then it shouldnt be a problem.

Quick Reply: CB Install Image