2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM
srountreeoo7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dually and I see that they have my size in stock. But, I need a street tire. do you know if they make a non 4x4 tire?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would caution anyone considering these tires that they are reateads and there are all kinds of potential issues that you can have with them. There is a reason that the retread market is very small. One person having luck with them does not reduce your chance of having the tread peel off going down the road and beating the side of your truck or worse losing control and causing an accident. I am not saying this company is bad. They appear to be a small mom and pop type company. Obviously they don't have the money that tire companies have to put into R&D. In life you get what you pay for. There is a reason that these tires are so cheap.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 PM
topsites
Professional

You installing them yourself didn't have anything to do with any laws that make it illegal
for a shop to put retreads on a passenger vehicle, did it?

In some states it might be legal to put them on the back, even then I would not consider it
but I do believe in most if not all US states it is illegal to install retreads on the front!

Even 18-wheelers are not allowed to have retreads on the steering tires!
No sir, it's against the law.

They don't always even use them on the back driving tires, mostly just on the trailer so that WHEN one
comes flying apart it will scratch the trailer some but it's not that big of a deal.

Originally Posted by SmokeGrinder
I've always been into trying things people have been hesitant about
There is a reason for this hesitation.

Originally Posted by sungod
I would caution anyone considering these tires that they are reateads and there are all kinds of potential issues that you can have with them. There is a reason that the retread market is very small. One person having luck with them does not reduce your chance of having the tread peel off going down the road and beating the side of your truck or worse losing control and causing an accident. I am not saying this company is bad. They appear to be a small mom and pop type company. Obviously they don't have the money that tire companies have to put into R&D. In life you get what you pay for. There is a reason that these tires are so cheap.
Correct, WHEN those tires come flying apart I hope everyone else and I am nowhere near that.

Even if it is just a Mom and Pop store I would still think someone would have said something,
had they known the exact application and details of where the tires went?

Last edited by topsites; 07-13-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Plenty of misconceptions in this thread. Though it may very by State law (don't know haven't checked all states) By Federal DOT regulations, retreads are not illegal to run on a steer axle of anything including a big rig. They are only illegal to run on a bus. Even hazmat loads can run retreads. Tire manufacturers state a tire can be run up to 10 years as long as they are periodically inspected for cracks and other damage that will shorten their useful life. The amount of tire scrap seen on road is about a 50/50 mix of virgin and retreaded tires. I work in a shop that replaces big rig tires and have seen all the data supplied by tire manufacturers.

That being said I will attest to how good these tires are. I have been running retreads from Hi-tech now treadwright for the last 4 years on 3 different vehicles. I first bought them for my Jeep Wrangler. Excellent on and off road. My Wrangler went through hell and back. I have the pictures to prove it. I then put a set on the wifes Jeep Liberty. After 4 cross country trips with the Liberty at 4-6K miles a trip they still worked flawlessly. I put a set on my Ram last July. Once again no issues other than one that I will address further down the page. Good tread life and even wear and balance out nice. Don't count out retreads. the reason there is a small market is because everyone still believes all the BS about them being no good. These are not the retreads of years ago. they have came a long way.

I did have one problem with one on my Ram. I mounted the tires myself and came back out later that day to find a bubble forming on the cap. A simple email with pictures and 2 hours later I had another tire being shipped to me. Excellent customer service.

Last edited by pavement_hater; 07-13-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

406$ would be nice compared to 900-1000$ for the bfg at's that i have been wanting to get another set of.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

well i had a flat tire yesterday and i just called treadwright, its gonna be something like 546$ for a set of bfg all terrain 285 70 17 (copycat tread with actual bfg castings). i'm going to order them here in a little while and should have them either wednesday or thursday of next week. what do y'all think of these: http://www.treadwright.com/shopNowresult.php?sectiresize1=&tiresize33=&tiresi zef=285|70|17&next=+Next+#

Last edited by Sheriff420; 09-15-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

one of the old semi tractors we used to run had a massive dent in the fuel tank from a retread coming apart, we scrapped that truck out, after we wore it out more than it already was

we still have our older hopper trailer, its missing some rivets on a slope sheet, and a crossmember that holds the slope sheet up is bent to hell from a retread tire

now when we replace, we just go to new tires
same goes for my pickup, there is a lot that can go wrong in the vulcanizing process
whereas new tires are cast as one piece of rubber, along with the cords, and bead

Old 09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

the cords and the bead are from bfg, the tread is the only new thing on the tire. the woman i was talking to said that they've never had a warranty claim from the tread coming apart, its usually a damaged tread block that gets a warranty claim.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:51 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

alot of people dont realize this, but retreads are really in essence no diffrent than a regular tire, they're both made the same way. and in some cases retreads are actually safer than originals. there was a episode of How It's Made on discovery channel that even showed how the retreads were made, and at several stages in the retread they inspect the tire, if theres even so much as a blemish on the tire they recycle it.

now i think im gonna go with a set of these, but my question is, Can i fit a 285/75 (roughly 33.8x11.2) on a set of stock 16x7 5 spoke rims? not the ones in my sig pic, as my stepdad now wants his wheels back.

Last edited by 004x41500; 09-15-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find and good testing.
I'm in need of new tires (I've been running on an old spare for a couple of months) and have little money.
I will give this company a try.
I'm looking at 265/75R16s. They don't list the original manufacturer or give the name of the equivalent, though.

Quick Reply: Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread