2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it's kinda like one of those commercial's for food on TV, looks awesome when you see it on tv but when you get it and see it, it doesnt look anything like the pictures.

Inpulse buying my friend!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Impulse purchase? Dude, I researched these tires for almost a week before I pulled the trigger. Not a single other buyer of these tires raised this issue in their internet posts or reviews.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 PM
yakkier
Banned

lol easy tiger, i was talking about ripleys post about the display tires.

like i said earlier man i'd give them a call an see if you can shoot some pictures over to them and tell them you're not happy with the quality of the workmanship and you want to swap them out for different ones hell ya never know bro, they might upgrade ya!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

I already sent them an e-mail with one of the pics I posted in here. I'm waiting to see what the remaining 3 look like.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow Rick it looks like your "gamble" so far is not paying off.

I hope the other tires will look better than that one did.

It looks like total junk. Nothing like the picture they have on there site.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:16 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All of mine have the wave in them, but it doesn't bother me.
I just figured it was the adhesive/melted rubber for the new tread. How is the tread applied these days? I've heard that they melt it into the old casings and I've heard that they glue it on.
This is the only picture I have that you can see the wave.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 AM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I'm less concerned with any safety issue and more with the appearance issue. This is how the tires are represented on their website:

Does that sidewall look anything like what I received?

PhotoShop is the friend of all companies.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

just run the sidewall along a section of curb and you'll be fine! HAHA

I didn't realize how picky people are about there tires!.. They aint made to last forever! And I'm sorry.. but most of the trucks on here are no where near show quality.. so it has a little wave to it.. big deal... $1,200 for a new set of tires vs. $500 for some retreads that are good for 2 years or 24,000 and are rated up to 60,000... you've got to be kidding me! Tecnology has changed over the years for the better! If i have to sacrafic the look of the tire because of safety then I will. It looks like that for a reason... the manufactoring process to produce a safe dependable retread leaves markings on the sidewalls.. this shows that the new tread is not just glued on but is actually fused to the casings! They prolly shave a very thin sliver to expose the original rubber to get a good bond.

let's face it... ANY tire can blow out OLD or NEW... if you can afford to put $1,200 tires on your rig every couple years then why are you driving a truck that is 8-15 years old?

I know 6 different people that have had multiple sets over re-treads and never once had any blowouts or flats....

Miami- if you're that concerned about the look of the tire, then why would you buy a re-tread?! Did you really think they are going to look identical to a brand new tire? Did you think that the manufactoring process leaves the tire looking untouched? Come on man use some common sence! Did you research how a re-tread is made? If you did then you would know that they shave the casings and that it is clearly visable! THAT'S WHY THEY ARE MUCH CHEAPER THAN NEW!!! If you get the other tires and are not happy.. I would love to buy your tire off of you.. or send them back for a full refuund and I'll buy them! I'm not trying to be mean, but come on guys.. they are re-treads..!

Last edited by iwhitne; 02-17-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by iwhitne
Did you really think they are going to look identical to a brand new tire? Did you think that the manufactoring process leaves the tire looking untouched?
No, I simply expected them to look like the tire in the pictures on their website.

And I find it interesting that you took the time to post this rant, but couldn't be bothered to reply to my 2 PMs to you on the subject before I bought them.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Just got all 4 of mine today. Yes the wavy part is on all of them. Its the overlapping of the cap. Extra rubber mainly.. I have seen it on every tire I have bought from them, 17 counting the 4 I just got. It isn't pretty but its nothing to be concerned with. All of my other tires from them had the same deal. Maintain them and they will last.

Quick Reply: Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread