2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:07 PM
guitarking135
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with rex they want way way to much for that truck. the plow maybe adds like 1000 to the price of the truck other than that the rest really doesn't have any weight on the price. Again its 9 years old. 6000 -6500 would be the most. about the warrenty don't even bother. 30.000 miles isn't a whole lot. heck I put on almost 20,000 in a year. and thats traveling a half hour away for work. dealers are looking to rip people off this time of the year with stuff like this. They look at it like its winter people want bigger vehicles and the second is gas is down under 2 bucks (shockingly) and has stayed there for a while now. Just do your research man. Check out other trucks like that else where. see what they are going for then go from there.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates??? Don't leave us hangin'.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 AM
tazman6789
Veteran

sent the truck back to the dealership, transfer case making all kinda whining noise and the exuast manifold is rusting out and leaking. they can keep it. im keeping my 00 sport, gotta puta track bar on it tomorrow and hope it makes the sqeak go away when i slowly turn the wheel

Old 12-11-2008, 01:48 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex-TheDOGG
A car dealer's purpose in life is to move vehicles. It costs him a lot of money to keep a truck around for long periods. Sometimes these guys will take a low price just to get it off the lot so they don't have to look at it anymore. They know they'll make up the diff on some other chicken who comes in there to get "plucked." I have had dealers yell at me. So what? It's a cuthroat business. But, guess what? If that truck is still sitting there 3 weeks later, you have a bargaining chip. You think these people aren't going to play harball with you? Guess again!

Everything considered, I wouldn't pay more than 6k for a 9 yo rusty truck with a snow plow (in Houston). I guess they're worth more in Ohio.
According to edmunds.com, if that truck had every single option available (like I stated previously in my post) and was in near perfect (clean) condition, it would be worth that much in Ohio (I looked up his zip code). I didn't say that it WAS worth that much, I just said absolute best case scenario, which obviously this truck wasn't. I did forget to mention I randomly selected SLT Quad Cab Long Box 4x4, as I figured that'd give us a high estimate.

Basically what I was trying to tell him was that $10,000 or whatever initial estimate was way to high and that I'd pay a maximum of that $7800.

But it obviously has problems, so I'm glad he didn't go for it.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Good call, man...I think you'll be happy with your choice. Your Sport is sweeter anyway.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
clivanec

id go to kbb.com first and see what they have it listed for.
but 10.5 might be high for that truck. but check kbb.com

Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Jason, it's cool. You estimated a best case scenario, and I estimated a worst case.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tazman6789
sent the truck back to the dealership, transfer case making all kinda whining noise and the exuast manifold is rusting out and leaking. they can keep it. im keeping my 00 sport, gotta puta track bar on it tomorrow and hope it makes the sqeak go away when i slowly turn the wheel
hey man what motor is in your sport, i think you made an awesome choice i like your sport alot, i would save your money and just mod the one you have now if your looking for good gains look into the fastman and RR. and superchips or sct. i think a good tune up is good too , if you havent done it, i put on 7mm wires till my 8.5 msd wires came in , i couldnt believe how much the 7mm took performance, notice a big improvement going with a bigger wires. ngk iridiums or vpower are good plugs. mopar brass cap and rotor.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:19 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

have the 5.9 in my sport, gotta put my 14x3 round air filter back on, already have a hypertech programmer on there, i did plugs about six months ago but i just put oem back in there, may put the 8.5 mm wires and copper cap n rotor on there, anybody got a link to summit for the cap n rotor? eventually gotta put headers on it cause my right manifold startin to leak where it connects to the rest of the exhaust. and one day maybe one day ill get my fastman lol

Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tazman6789
have the 5.9 in my sport, gotta put my 14x3 round air filter back on, already have a hypertech programmer on there, i did plugs about six months ago but i just put oem back in there, may put the 8.5 mm wires and copper cap n rotor on there, anybody got a link to summit for the cap n rotor? eventually gotta put headers on it cause my right manifold startin to leak where it connects to the rest of the exhaust. and one day maybe one day ill get my fastman lol
If you have a NAPA nearby, I would go there to get the cap & rotor...they sell the brass. Those parts aren't really that much different from place to place. Just make sure to get brass contacts.

Quick Reply: fair price?