2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blizzard + No reverse = AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:17 PM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blizzard + No reverse = AWESOME

So I got hardcore stuck last night (had to leave it there and go dig it out of the snow drift this morning). While trying to get it out, reverse went away. It actually disappeared very quickly after starting the rocking/getting our process. I had the truck in the garage for a couple of hours today with the Reddy-Heater running (it's -14* out) just in case it was related to the cold, not no dice. I had my wife pull me out of the garage with her little Mountaineer then off we went to Fargo Transmission, where it remains. They're talking a rebuild. Thank <insert deity of choice> for a warranty.

I'm just curious what people's opinions are on what happened? I had barely begun to abuse the transmission when it went. On an unrelated note, when snow stops the fan from spinning it gets hot FAST.

What a lovely blizzard. First the gearbox on the auger on my snowblower breaks, now this. Ugh.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:20 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow that just suck how much snow did you get stuck in i would assume it was like 2-4ft.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 PM
ophidia
Captain

The first time it was a couple of feet and it took me about 10 minutes to get out (reverse died here). The second time was about 4' and it too me about an hour-hour and a half to dig myself out and get going again (awesome w/o reverse). I almost made it to the end of the street where it was blow clean and got totally bogged down again. I then admitted defeat (45mph winds and -15*) and called West Fargo's finest. I'll give them credit, they didn't ridicule me too much on the ride home.

I was turning down that road to go back home after deciding it was a bad idea to be out. As it turns out, the worst idea was going down that road. The part I could see from where I turned on wasn't bad... it was about 1/2 way down that I started having trouble.

My friend had to pull me out backwards w/ his 99 Dakota today. At least it was another dodge. Mini-me came in handy :P

Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

wow that suck at least you had someone to pull you out. and i think my trans is done i notice when i go from r to d and start turning i can feel it slipping/grinding. i can wait for that!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Rocking" You moved the shifter from reverse to drive rapidly? I live in the south and dont see any snow nor do i go off roading. Im assuming thats what rocking is.

If you move the shifter back and forth from reverse to drive rapidly and repeatedly while jamming on the accelerator that is EXTREME abuse. NO transmission likes that. Ive done many chevys were the low roller clutch was torn right out of its race from "rocking". On dodges the reverse piston usually breaks or the band slips severely. Fords break input shafts. (just got one in today.) I wont even go into toyotas.

Alot of people get lucky doing this. Well good for you. You are putting major stress on the unit and greatly reducing the life of the transmission.

Bottom line, dont do it unless you are prepared to pay.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

most of the time when i drive ill go a little faster than i need and put it in to n and coast it down and than drive. and i dont n drop my trans i have wanted to but i hear all of the problems and just say NO ITS NOT WORTH $4000.00 AND CHANGE!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
ophidia
Captain

I didn't jam the accelerator-- as much as needed and no more. My method of rocking involves going back and forth just long enough to get a little movement forward and back, then I'll just hit the gas, let off, hit it again just as I hit the back of travel, and so forth. This is unarguably abuse but better than slamming it back and forth between D and R.

Reverse went away almost immediately so I can only assume it was already weak.

At least I have the extended warranty to cover it. I don't make it a practice to abuse my vehicles :P

Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 AM
divetruck
Professional

And you got into the snow drift how?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:56 AM
divetruck
Professional

Broke the gear box on the auger for the snow blower? Take it easy on your stuff. Now go buy the Honda snowblower! I have the 11HP with the 32 inch blade. My neighbors with thier 9HP are jealous!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ophidia
I didn't jam the accelerator-- as much as needed and no more. My method of rocking involves going back and forth just long enough to get a little movement forward and back, then I'll just hit the gas, let off, hit it again just as I hit the back of travel, and so forth. This is unarguably abuse but better than slamming it back and forth between D and R.

Reverse went away almost immediately so I can only assume it was already weak.

At least I have the extended warranty to cover it. I don't make it a practice to abuse my vehicles :P
Didn't say you made a practice out of it. Im just informing you. I wasnt there, i dont know exactly what you did. My guess is that you are right, that reverse was probably close to being out of adjustment. You might try and adjust the rear band before you get a rebuild and see if that takes care of it.

Quick Reply: Blizzard + No reverse = AWESOME