2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Christmas Gift!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Christmas Gift!!!

Hey guys, well it seems I got a Dual Flowmaster Super 44 Exhaust for the Ram!!! I don't technically "have" it yet it was ordered and is on the way....one question I had was I have seen a lot of threads on the magnaflow cat and gutting the cat, but never anything about leaving the cat alone when installing an aftermarket exhaust/muffler. So my question is what's the deal with gutting the cat or having an aftermarket one and is it necessary for the setup I'm gonna do? Thanks, and Merry Christmas Guys!!!

Old 12-25-2008, 11:31 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A Magna Flow cat would be nice. But, as long as you know the stock cat is good, leave it alone.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:16 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only reason we do this is for more flow or better sound i did it for both haha, and when my cat collapsed i just cut it out

Old 12-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodgeman22
only reason we do this is for more flow or better sound i did it for both haha, and when my cat collapsed i just cut it out

ok cool thanks for info....so as far as what cat to get what does everybody recommend? I'll see what just the duals sound like and if I'm not impressed I'll look into a cat

Old 12-25-2008, 12:30 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

A stock catalytic converter is most likely more restrictive than a stock muffler. So if one really wanted a free flowing exhaust, the cat and manifolds should be addressed, not just the muffler. I run a universal magnaflow catalytic converter from summitracing.com. Goes for about $85ish. It's a good addition to a performance exhaust.

-BTW, you will love the Super 44 on the ram. I loved the 44, but it got a little too chirpy for my taste after the headers were put on.

Last edited by 05DodgeRamHemi; 12-25-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Jimmeh
Professional

I've got the stock cat on my truck, and it seems fine in my eyes.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:52 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I worked my way backwards in the exhaust. I started with the single in dual out super 44 setup out the rear (almost 2 years ago now and the pipes show their age with rust). It seemed like the truck was lacking get up and go a few months ago, so I figured what the heck for $75 plus the adapter (3" to 2.5"), i'll buy one at the local parts store and have it put in. I had my cat put in a few months ago like I said and after initial startup it sounded the same. Honestly I was real disapointed when he fired it up. Well..... After leaving the shop I decided to give her some gas and.... wow! I had the biggest grin I've had on my face in a long time. Sounded ballsy as anything. Then I picked up a set of ceramic coated headers and put them on. I was quite disapointed again at first... because there didn't seem to be a sound difference at all. But! after driving it around for a few days I guess the computer figured out they were there because I do have a noticable amount of low end gain. Like today I held a hill decent hill at 1400 rpms w/ my 3.55 gears. lol it went into diesel mode and just held speed up that hill like it was nothing. She never would used to do that and always kicked down for it. My suggestion to you is to do your cat back exhaust. Drive it around for a while and when you get tired of it, throw that cat on and enjoy it all over again. I wouldn't worry about the headers because they are more of a pita... less you like that sort of thing.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:58 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I agree with pc. I started out with a flowmaster super 44 dual exhaust with a magnaflow cat. Then about 6 months later, I had the longtube headers and 3" y-pipe butted up to my magnaflow cat. As pc said, I was sad at first when I heard it start, but after a week or two, it started sounding a lot thumpier, and driving around, it sounded crazy. I wish I didn't have my cat gutted though. I would probably still have the super 44, but the gutted cat and headers with the 44 was just getting way too crackely.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

thanks 01dodgeram360 and pc for all the tips!!! Really appreciate it and I'll be sure to post a sound clip when its all installed, i know we all like that here, not too many sound clips out there from a 5.2L.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:15 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnumpwr16
I'll be sure to post a sound clip when its all installed, i know we all like that here, not too many sound clips out there from a 5.2L.
that is very true u do not hear very many 318 sound clips

Quick Reply: Christmas Gift!!!