2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Just got cab lights.. no idea how to install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
vmann
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got cab lights.. no idea how to install

Ok so i got my orange cab lights today and lucky for me they came with no instructions. I have pictures on everything that came with them. I found this write up on how to do them.. should i pretty much follow this? http://www.*********.com/forums/show....php?p=2248958 (replace the stars with dodge_talk but no _)
oh and does anyone have the measurements for placement of them? i've heard that the measurements are different than the 3rd gens etc.

comments, ideas, etc..

Last edited by vmann; 12-31-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a DIY in that section on this forum that is so well written, it's now the docs that come with Recon's Cab Lights. It would be nice if a kit other than the Mopar one came with a template though.
It's not a hard install at all, you just have to get over the fear of drilling through your roof...

Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

It is not hard at all....the ones you see on my truck in my sig pic I put on a year ago and it was so easy. If you take your headliner down on the ceiling of the truck you'll see the pre-marked holes for where there lights would be if they had come from the factory with them. No need to measure or anything. Run the wiring down behind all the upper trim and everything and find a place for you switch (I just wired mine to my headlight switch so that when i put on my parking or parking/headlight they come on). See if that helps.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Do a search for dodge ram cab light install on the internet and there are a few out there (I looked about a year ago for my friend). Once you remove your headliner there will be holes in your roof to show you where to place them. ( you will see what I mean once you remove the headliner) My buddy used two hole saw's to get it exactly perfect. One was the exact width of the hole thats in the roof, and only used it to drill the pilot hole. By doing so he now has a small pilot hole in the exact center where the light should be. He then took the other hole saw and found the size required for the light, and used the pilot hole that he made with the last cut, to place him in the exact center and then cut it out. Another note to think about would be about not using that switch that came with it. We tied his in by running the wire down the a piller and tie into the running light wire. (look in shop manual for wire diagrams, or use a volt meter if your lazy into the back of the switch. You will need to remove your bezel for this, and remove the light switch screws. Use a tap splice like you were given for the cab lighst to tie into the running light wire.

Edit

Darn it that always happens! I take forever to make a response and someone posts by the time I finish :/ Anyway here is a night shot of the lights. He has the clear recon, but its the same principal. Wish ya luck!

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 02-15-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:01 PM
vmann
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
There is a DIY in that section on this forum that is so well written, it's now the docs that come with Recon's Cab Lights. It would be nice if a kit other than the Mopar one came with a template though.
It's not a hard install at all, you just have to get over the fear of drilling through your roof...
im not worried about drilling through the roof as much as i am getting the lights aligned. Ive seen people do the install themselves and the slightest misplacement ruins the look of the vehicle. Im going to go pull back the headliner to see if the marks are there. And about running them to my light switch.. i've never messed with it so i will most likely install the lights with the switch provided and mess with that later.

oh and i did the search and didn't find the write up.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vmann
im not worried about drilling through the roof as much as i am getting the lights aligned. Ive seen people do the install themselves and the slightest misplacement ruins the look of the vehicle. Im going to go pull back the headliner to see if the marks are there. And about running them to my light switch.. i've never messed with it so i will most likely install the lights with the switch provided and mess with that later.

oh and i did the search and didn't find the write up.
You didn't look to hard, about 5 seconds using the search function in the DIY section under "cab lights".

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/diy-do-...ram05baby.html

The pics went bye-bye when the software upgrade toasted the albums, but the written step by step is there.

I forgot about the dimples in the roof on 2nd Gens., 3rd Gens ain't got, at least not 1500s. We do have the connector for them in the passenger pillar post though. Not sure if it was there in 2nd Gens. If so, wiring them for power and to come on with parking lights is a snap...

Old 12-31-2008, 03:05 PM
vmann
Veteran

that write up is the exact write up i posted. the one i posted still has pictures though. it says its for 3rd gens

Old 12-31-2008, 05:02 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

It ain't that hard, pretty simple took me about an hour, most of that was drilling to make sure I was exact lol.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:22 PM
vmann
Veteran

i can drill and do all that fine. Its just the wiring. I tried to connect it to make sure the lights work and nothing. The switch lit up but the light did not. Im a little confused because there is only a black wire coming out from the lights which i am assuming is the grounder. I even tried connecting that black wire to the harness wire that came with it.. still nothing.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:36 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

black is power(werid) and the srew that goes in the roof is the ground... tyr gounding the srew and power on the black and see if it works.

Quick Reply: Just got cab lights.. no idea how to install