2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question on the Autolite 3923 plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on the Autolite 3923 plugs

I see that a lot of people use these, I just want to know why. What are so good about the 3923 plugs that you guys like. And why not get the Autolite APP5224?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Basically why do you like the plugs that you use?

Old 01-04-2009, 01:42 AM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

my understanding is they actually run cooler, causing less misfires, and less pinging..

JimK

Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put in 3923s and noticed a good difference, but i was going from old plugs......

- from http://www.v8performance.com/tipsand...htm#SparkPlugs

lots of good info in that link
Spark Plug Recommendations:
While the factory and factory replacement spark plugs work, the Magnum engines have shown slightly better performance with the Autolite 3923 Spark Plugs. The Autolite 3923's are a standard tip spark plug that is one heat range colder than stock, as compared to the extended "Special Power Tip" plugs that the engine came with. Why the difference? A standard tip plug is less susceptible to detonation, is a good replacement for modified Magnum engines, and work very well with modified engines as well...especially when using Nitrous or a Supercharger. In some cases, the Autolite 3923's also showed a 4-5HP difference at the rear wheels on the Dyno. (The test was performed with new OEM Spark plugs vs. the Autolite 3923's. No changes to the engine and the plugs were tested on the same day under the same conditions.)

Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh, and from my understanding platinum is just for longevity

Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i installed them trying to get a leaky plenum to quit pinging. it didn't help. i also noticed no difference. i don't believe the claim of hp increase. they're fine plugs, but don't expect a lot.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have iridium ix iridiums there pretty sweet

Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
i have iridium ix iridiums there pretty sweet
I've never seen a double iridium plug.

I've had really, really good results with NGK plugs, specifically their V-power plugs. I'm currently running the NGK iridiums and they work as well, but IDK if they justify the cost.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Kaldir
Veteran

Cool thanks for all your input guys.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I normally use the Champion truck plug. But about 3 years ago when I replaced the lower int.gasket , IIRC my normal parts store didn't have all 8, so I went with the 5224. I don't think they are dbl. plat as they are black not silver. But anyway, before I did the 1.7's I did a leak down test and removed them. And after reading the thread about someone's plugs that were at 80 gap,(mohawk I think) I wanted to check them anyway. Besides being at 50 they were awesome looking.(I wish I took pics) My father was up from L.I. for Christmas and checked them out with me. He's been working on car's and racing since he was a kid in Brooklyn and owned a parts store and machine shop for 50+ years. So he know's his Sh-t. Told me regap them and throw them back in. Anyway , sorry so long , but needless to say I know my plenum gasket (felpro) is still good after three years. So now I have a nice Hughes pan on my shelf for when it does go bad.LOL

Old 01-04-2009, 11:53 AM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

If I remember right, the 5224 are the replacement for the stock plugs that would come with the truck, and the 3923 are one step colder, which can help with fuel economy.. As to why dh didn't see any results, well, he had a leaky plenum and with that, spark plugs aren't going to help.. THere is no way changing spark plugs will keep oil from seeping up and causing misfires. You need to replace the plenum, then replace the spark plugs... Anyway, It's one of those things where YMMV(your mileage may vary)

Just try a few things, see what you like, and go with it... Or listen to someone you feel knows something, and do what they tell you... I myself don't know much.. so, I wont tell you anything.. so don't ask.... oh wait, you did ask, and I did tellyou... dang.. never mind, don't listen to me...

JimK

Quick Reply: Question on the Autolite 3923 plugs