2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing plugs and wires on the V8's sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009 | 06:21 PM
Jimmeh
|
Professional
Default Changing plugs and wires on the V8's sucks!

I have a few tips for those that plan on taking the challenge.

If you have the extra $8 or so to get a magnetic spark plug socket, DO IT! I realized this on the back two cylinders on the drivers side.

For those that think they don't need it, I strongly tell you otherwise, but a tip is to keep the heat shields for the plugs on the back two until after you put the plugs in.

Make sure you blow out the junk in the heat shield first, before you even take the old plug out.

On removing the heat shields, I used a pair of needle nose vice grips, and just twisted back and forth.

Another tip I did, and for those with the stock air intake unit, TAKE IT OFF! It helped me reach the wires ALL THE WAY IN THE BACK way easier. Putting it on is a little difficult, but not too bad.

I searched, and saw some people said use PB blaster. That's a very good idea. A couple of the plugs were a little stiff on my truck, but not stiff enough to make it too hard (no pun intended).

For you that may be short (like me, as I am 5'7"), and have a lifted truck, climbing into the engine bay might be necessary. I wish I would have taken the battery out, as the space it takes up could have been used as a seat.

I gapped my plugs at .40. I may go back to .35, as I noticed a tick under pressure, but we will see after the oil change if it's still there.

Old 01-16-2009 | 06:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Why remove the heat shields, they are there for a purpose. And every spark plug socket I have ever bought has a foam or rubber insert that holds the plug, but better than that is a 6 inch piece of 5/16 fuel hose slid over the end of the plug works better than a socket to start the threads. But yes, you have to remove the intake to maintain any kind of sanity during the process. And btw, I hope you replaced the cap and rotor too? Or your going to have the same fun again!

Old 01-16-2009 | 07:08 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i removed my heat shields. i tried to think of some useful purpose for them and came up empty. all i can see that they do is

make it harder to get the plugs out,
harder to get them back in.
excellent for dumping dirt and sand into the cylinders.
pretty good at leading you to cross thread the new plug.
oh i almost forgot - good for holding the rubber grip thats inside the plug socket.

the .50 that they cost dodge would have been better applied to the dash.

zman - excellent tip on using vac hose to start the plug. that works for a lot of cars including honda accord.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 01-16-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2009 | 07:14 PM
Jimmeh
|
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
Why remove the heat shields, they are there for a purpose. And every spark plug socket I have ever bought has a foam or rubber insert that holds the plug, but better than that is a 6 inch piece of 5/16 fuel hose slid over the end of the plug works better than a socket to start the threads. But yes, you have to remove the intake to maintain any kind of sanity during the process. And btw, I hope you replaced the cap and rotor too? Or your going to have the same fun again!
I did not replace the cap and rotor. Completely forgot about it while at the parts store, and already had the first plug out when I started, and decided to say screw it. When I change that, I plan on doing other minor fixes to the engine, so I'll just pull it out.

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i removed my heat shields. i tried to think of some useful purpose for them and came up empty. all i can see that they do is

oh i almost forgot - good for holding the rubber grip thats inside the plug socket.

I completely agree with you. Every engine I have seen has never had the heat shields around the plugs EXCEPT for this one. It doesn't get any hotter then any other engine, at least in my experience, so why put little metal sleeve's there?

Old 01-16-2009 | 07:37 PM
Gary-L
Legend

My dad was an automotive engineer for 20+ years. Heat shields probably cost Detroit .10 per dozen, and that money adds up. One thing Detroit DOES NOT do is spend money unnecessarily, and as such, the heat shields are there for a reason.

Now, be thankful you don't have an older Ford pickup. Those engine bays are cramped. I like that I can damn near sit inside the bay of my Dodge with plenty of room!

Old 01-16-2009 | 08:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by dhvaughan

zman - excellent tip on using vac hose to start the plug. that works for a lot of cars including honda accord.
#1 and #2 I don't see how it it makes it harder to uninstall or install. A 5/8 spark plug socket with a universal and 3" extension does the job for the hard to reach, 5,6 and 7.

#3 that is why you use air to blow them out

#4 they actually help you guide the spark plug in straighter because they fit nicely in the heat shield not allowing you to tilt it too far.

#5 They do hold the boot, that is why you twist the boot first then pull with a spark plug wire puller if you can't do it by hand.

Name:  DSCF0496.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  38.0 KB

Old 01-16-2009 | 08:16 PM
lv360ram
Captain

Changing spark plugs on a Magnum engine is easy. My Dakota is a bit easier than my Ram. I just can't comprehend how any other engine could be any easier. Geez.
I was looking at a friends 4 cyl Ford ranger and I can change all 8 plugs on my Dodge quicker and easier than that 4 cyl Ford.

Old 01-16-2009 | 08:21 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

My heat shields have been gone for over a year and a half. No ill effects and plugs are easier to change without them. I've never seen a melted boot on a plug wire that wasn't caused by direct contact with an exhaust manifold.

Magnetic plug socket FTW!

Old 01-16-2009 | 09:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
My heat shields have been gone for over a year and a half. No ill effects and plugs are easier to change without them. I've never seen a melted boot on a plug wire that wasn't caused by direct contact with an exhaust manifold.

Magnetic plug socket FTW!
That's because you have them off more than they are on! LOL (at least lately)

Old 01-16-2009 | 09:11 PM
lv360ram
Captain

Originally Posted by zman17
That's because you have them off more than they are on! LOL (at least lately)
good one!

yea but that is history.

right squirrels?

Quick Reply: Changing plugs and wires on the V8's sucks!