2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got my wideband

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my wideband

I was able to find the Autometer Cobalt wideband I wanted on ebay a little cheaper. Found one that a guy had opened but not used. I bid the lowest possible and was the only bidder. i ended up getting it for 255.95 shipped. I got it yesterday and was pretty excited. I can't get how small it is. I was expecting it to be a little bigger. I'll have to get some pics of it and post them up.

Just a little side note I haven't heard from the machine shop yet.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

So how are you going to install the new o2 sensor for it?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Same as any other wideband install. Drill a hole in my pipe right before the cat weld in a bung and screw her in.

Why?

And if you wanna know why I got one. I talked to hemifever about getting a SCT. He said with the mods I'm doing I should get one to keep an eye on things

Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could of got a narowband...simple , no drilling more holes , and you are seeing what the pcm is seeing..

Old 01-18-2009, 12:01 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Narrow band doesn't tell you the actual ratio. Also you can't datalog it on the sct. If it means more safety on my rebuilt engine I'm all for it. It will help with getting the tune more dead on as well. I have no problem drilling a hole and having a bung welded in.

Hemifever is gonna do all my tuning. He knows his **** so I'm gonna listen to all his suggestions. He he would have said get a wideband and something else I would have the other whatever as well

Old 01-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I was just wondering. I've thought about installing a seperate wide band sensor for a new a/f meter. Just wondering how you planned to do it.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 AM
CaptCameltoe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you going with some kind of wild engine combo?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Well I've done a good bit of reading up on it. I've also asked an online friend that has a tuning business a lot of questions about it. I wanted to kinda understand it and what it does and how it can be used to tune.

Most install directions tell you to install the sensor as close to the top of the pipe as possible. Its done that way so the dampness in the pipe doesn't sit on the sensor. If the sensor "lays" in the wet stuff all the time it will go bad.

That is basically impossible with the pipe on the truck. I'm gonna mount it more in the middle of the pipe right after the y goes to the single pipe before the cat. That's the plan for now anyway. Unless I find out that's not gonna work. I'm gonna take pics of where I want to install it and ask around to see if that will be ok

Old 01-18-2009, 12:45 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe
Are you going with some kind of wild engine combo?
Not really. I have a thread titled madness started it has the whole run down on the project.

Quick Reply: Got my wideband