2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tube front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009 | 02:45 PM
meanwhitemopar
|
Record Breaker
Default tube front bumper

anyone got any ideas, i can get up to four inch pipe to bend, i want places for lights, and a winch to sit behind eventually, and i dont want it to sit out far at all.

anyone got any ideas for me?

oh and by the way, it has to be strong. i like to take out trees, make my own paths.

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 01-19-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2009 | 03:19 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

Well... not sure if you have the tools to do it or not... but if not, most "affordable" DIY tube bedners are going to cost about 800 bucks and will only bend up to 2" tube.

You should check out the Body and Custom Fabrication forum on Pavement Sucks. They have a ton of stuff over there... you can also do a quick search for tube bumper... there's a ton of different ideas - mostly Dodge.

Cartman

Old 01-19-2009 | 03:50 PM
meanwhitemopar
|
Record Breaker

ok i thin i will, and yes, i have all the tool already, i have a shop on the military base that hs all of them and i am free to use then, just an hourly rate for being there. which is like 3 o 4 dollars an hour. so yea i will check out the ps thread. i mena i have a basic idea of what it will look like but i have never heard of anyone doing it the way i want

ok i looked and i came up with little on what i wanted, but i know what i want, and it will be for inch main tube, and three inch side tubes, and 2 inch top hoop for lights.. there will be at least 4 daylighters on the front of my truck

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 01-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2009 | 07:07 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

I'm jealous... access to benders for cheap. I'm contemplating if I need to buy one of the DIY one for my garage.

I haven't decided if I want to go tube or plate. I've found some plate bumper dimensions that are similar to the Alien Patrol/Road Armor type bumpers that I tend to like. But I found a few good looking tube bumpers while I was searching. Hard to decide exactly what I want to do.

You'll have to post up some pics of the build. I'd be curious to see how it turns out.

Good luck!
Cartman

Old 01-19-2009 | 07:14 PM
meanwhitemopar
|
Record Breaker

yea, i want thinking a plate design bumper aswell, i even got te diamond plate to do it, it is as we speak sitting right behind me, but the tube looks better to me for right now, and stronger, i will let you all kno how it goes

Old 01-19-2009 | 07:26 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I went with plate but desided I wanted a tubular grill guard so I'm using handrail. Basically
its water pipe that hasn't been pressure tested or threaded and you can by all kinds of
different weld-in angled elbows and T's for it. Just thought I'd throw that out to those of
you that don't have access to a pipe bender.

Old 01-19-2009 | 07:39 PM
meanwhitemopar
|
Record Breaker

but how strong is that tubing, i was not kidding, i tent to make my own trails, push hills and trees over, and my bumper is all kinds of messed up....

Old 01-19-2009 | 07:43 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I honestly cannot answer that, but I do know you can buy it in a veriaty of different
wall thicknesses. From what I understand you can get it pretty strong.

Old 01-19-2009 | 07:47 PM
meanwhitemopar
|
Record Breaker

ok, and if ya look in my album, the one pic of my ruck all covered, brown color, thats a look at my bumper about two months ago, so that gives ya an idea

Old 01-19-2009 | 07:57 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Thats why I went with 3/8 plate on my center section, nice and strong. dropped it down
to 3/16 plate for the 'wings' to the left and right side. You can make a good strong bumper
out of plate without getting to technical. I went with multiple plates and different angles
but I could have gone much simpler.

Quick Reply: tube front bumper