2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

About to install tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to install tint

So ive been hearing alot about how many people think my truck needs to be tinted, so I went out and bought the stuff to tint my windows, bought the best material I could find, so hopefully it is good, its the same stuff that the place called darkside tint uses in their shop, now hopefully I can use the same principles that I have always used for doing stickers on the tint(my brother ran a vinyl sticker company and I worked for him sometimes) so hopefully I can use what I learned from that to help me out with this... Ill post up pictures when Im done, wish me luck! Im going 35% in the front, 5% on the back and 5% over the back side windows tint thats already there, then I will probably tint my 3rd brake light to see how that turns out. if it turns out good when I get my brake lights after I paint them(the trim) I will tint those too.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The tint on da tails sounds good.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran

when i had my cavalier i picked up this stuff called night shade.. its a tint paint that you use on lenses. it only takes like 3 coats to completely black out the tails, so be careful and use lightly. but it def looks cool.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

Ya I agree with 96 ram Deff use the paint on lenses And doing the tint yourself, Good luck brother It took me 2 tries and the stuff is expensive I saved 100 bucks doing it myself but the pain in the *** almost wasn't worth it also its not perfect and its been 2 years and my window is bubbling a tiny bit. They places I could have gotten it done by give lifetime warranty so I don't know I prob would not do it again.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so 35% on the side windows and 5% on the back. Dose yr slider have factory tint on it casue if is dose its going to be so dark the factory on my ram its hard to see out the back at night. I love my 20% on the sides I want to get a windsheld strip.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:35 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
so 35% on the side windows and 5% on the back. Dose yr slider have factory tint on it casue if is dose its going to be so dark the factory on my ram its hard to see out the back at night. I love my 20% on the sides I want to get a windsheld strip.
Do you have pictures of your tint?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

the back window doesnt have factory tint, only the backsides. so there will be 5% on top of the factory tint on the back sides and 5% on the actual back window. I dont have a slider in my window, its a solid window, and the 35% seems pretty nice on the front ones, I like it, I just finished with the fronts, about to go tackle the back.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Post some pic's up for sure when you get it all done

Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I will! back out to the garage I go to finish up!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you buy precut? The cutting it is the biggest issue I've had when trying to do it myself. Never turns out right.

I have 5% over the factory on my rear slider and rear sides. It's dark but I love it. You can't really see in the back seat from the side at all. With the 5% up front you couldn't see through them at all. Now if you get at the perfect angle to look through one rear window then the front window you can slightly see through. Still hard but a little. You can't see in the back seat at all and even with your hands cupped up against the window it's very hard. On the rear since it's not a tinted window on the other side as the windshield isn't tinted you can see in somewhat. You can see a outline of people some. It's black most of the time but if the sun is out and hitting the windshield you can see in slightly and see the outline of someone. If the sun isn't hitting the windshield or super bright out you can't really see in the rear slider either. You can't hardly even see in at night with the inside lights on. The 5% alone wasn't near as dark but the factory with 5% over it is pretty dark. I love it but not the easiest to see out of at night or even in the day if the sun isn't out. I had 35% up front although it was faded some. I ended up having that taken off and 5% put on the front. I loved that look and you couldn't see the person sitting in the truck at all. You could see the dashboard if the sun was hitting the windshield. I loved that tint but the cops didn't since I got 2 tickets in about 6 months. I finally just took it off and left it off. It was the same cop both times and it's not even in a town I live in. I didn't have a problem from any other officers although I hear there are a lot that are cracking down on tint. A neighbor is a cop and said he knew one of the departments around here had started cracking down on it. I rolled with my windows down 90% of the time and rolled them down anytime I saw a cop unless it was too late which was both of the times I got pulled over. Once he was hidden so when I saw him I didn't have time to roll them down so just left them up. That was in the middle of the day.

The second time was at night and it's hard to see if it's a cop or not until he is close. He was going the other way through town and I had my window halfway down to see out as it's hard to see out of the 5% at night and he flipped around. Told me he could see my face then under that was black. He then asked if he had stopped me before.

I loved that tint but it was a hassle. I thought the 35% was way too light though. It was better than what I have now which is nothing on the front two but I didn't like it that much. I think 20% would be okay but a little light for me and I think I would have the same problem with the cops as I would with the 5% as it looks pretty dark from a distance.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 02-19-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: About to install tint