2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

blown torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown torque converter

today i went to pick up a new front axle i found on cl that was about 120 miles from where i live. the truck drove fine up there but about 10 miles after i started comig back the truck stared acting like there was no slip between the engine and tranny, kind of like when a vehicls fuel filter gets clogged goin down the highway but my fuel pressure is good. if i go at a constant speed there is no issue but if i try to acclerate as soon as i gain maybe 2-300 rpms the truck starts seriously fighting to go faster...like the tranny is locked up to the motor. im also throw code 0740 i belive. my tranny got rebuilt like 5k ago but i dont think he gave me a new torque converter. could it be a tc goin out or did he f@#k up on the rebuild?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

If he didn't replace the TC, all the crap that was in the old trans, including whatever it left when it died, just got transplanted into the rebuild. ALWAYS ALWAYS replace the TC when rebuilding a trans.

Not just a clogged cat is it??

Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

my cat got hollowed out a long time ago, and when the truck is in park or neutral the truck has no trouble revin up

Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If he didn't replace the TC, all the crap that was in the old trans, including whatever it left when it died, just got transplanted into the rebuild. ALWAYS ALWAYS replace the TC when rebuilding a trans.

Not just a clogged cat is it??
+1 If the trans guy didn't replace the TC with a new one...then he's a hack!!! Any good tranny builder will replace the TC on a rebuild.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

i was wrong about the not using a new tc i just called my pops and he said he watch the guy open the bow with the new one when he delived my tranny

Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by 98BIGRED5.9Gas
i was wrong about the not using a new tc i just called my pops and he said he watch the guy open the bow with the new one when he delived my tranny
Good deal. If you getting a 0740 then it's PROBABLY a bad TCC (torque converter clutch). Take it back to your tranny guy and have him fix it under warranty.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:44 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

cant i just get a new torque converter?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

It may be a bad connection to the TCC solenoid, or even a failed solenoid. The pcm is NOT seeing an RPM drop (that it would expect) when it commands TCC engagement.

You should still be under warranty. Take it back to the shop you had it rebuilt at, let 'em know what's going on, see what they have to say.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It may be a bad connection to the TCC solenoid, or even a failed solenoid. The pcm is NOT seeing an RPM drop (that it would expect) when it commands TCC engagement.

You should still be under warranty. Take it back to the shop you had it rebuilt at, let 'em know what's going on, see what they have to say.
A rebuilt tranny with only 5K on it shouldn't be throwing an 0740. I bet the tranny guy used remaned solenoid if not, the same one's.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

i cant really take it back to the guy right now, his shop is back home in south texas and im in north louisiana and this is my only vehicle so i cant really afford to have the truck down for a few weeks while i drop the tranny and send it back to him and i dont wanna risk driving this thing the 300+ miles to his shop from where i live, if its a bad tc hell send me a new one

Quick Reply: blown torque converter