2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny regulator valve whining

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:50 PM
96smokestack
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny regulator valve whining

Well, now that the water pump is fixed, onto the next problem

My tranny whines ONLY in reverse, and ONLY when cold. It shifts fine and does not slip. The tranny was rebuilt 15,000 miles ago (the previous owner had the receipt). I think the shop told him the noise would only go away if the tranny was rebuilt. They rebuilt it, and the noise was still there. Then they told him it was most likely the U-joint. They replaced it, but still no dice.

So here I am, with a questionable regulator valve. Is there anything I can do to quiet this sucker down? Or is it just a wonderful Dodge design flaw?

The tranny is basically new .....so should I even worry about this noise?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

If it still has a warranty, don't worry about it. Mine whines a bit in first gear when starting out, and does it all the time. I figger its normal gear noise.

Is it a squeak? or a whine? where do you hear it from most? Can you hear it outside the truck? If so, have a friend back up slowly, and see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from.

Just out of idle curiosity...... how are your front brakes?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96smokestack
Well, now that the water pump is fixed, onto the next problem

My tranny whines ONLY in reverse, and ONLY when cold. It shifts fine and does not slip. The tranny was rebuilt 15,000 miles ago (the previous owner had the receipt). I think the shop told him the noise would only go away if the tranny was rebuilt. They rebuilt it, and the noise was still there. Then they told him it was most likely the U-joint. They replaced it, but still no dice.

So here I am, with a questionable regulator valve. Is there anything I can do to quiet this sucker down? Or is it just a wonderful Dodge design flaw?

The tranny is basically new .....so should I even worry about this noise?
If you're mechanically inclined, the Transgo TFODJR shift kit will fix that, and firm up the shifts a little...As well as cure a couple other oiling issues. I put one in my RAM for the same reason.

EDIT: Shift Kit, not Shift Kill....LOL

Last edited by Adobedude; 02-26-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 PM
hbarker
Professional

Hello,, Im new hear and right off the bat stumbled upon this post,,
I had my tranny rebuilt at 80,000 miles,, Ever since it sounds like a power steering pump starving for fluid ,, only when in reverse and ONLY when its cold,,
Told the tranny shop about it ,, they never heard it..

Should I be worried,, ?
It may not be as bad as it used to be have 113,000 on it now,, maybe I just got used to it,

Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 PM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran

i have had 3 transmissions and EVRYONE have whined. this one has about 75000 miles since it was rebuilt and it whines in all gears and has since it was rebuilt. when i change the GPS and solenoid there was nothing in the pan other than super fine powder looking stuff. and not that much. if it goes i will get me a viper tranny.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:28 AM
96smokestack
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it still has a warranty, don't worry about it. Mine whines a bit in first gear when starting out, and does it all the time. I figger its normal gear noise.

Is it a squeak? or a whine? where do you hear it from most? Can you hear it outside the truck? If so, have a friend back up slowly, and see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from.

Just out of idle curiosity...... how are your front brakes?
Definitely a whine, but I know it's not the rear differential as it only happens in reverse. It only happens when cold, like first start in the morning.

My brakes are shot....haven't checked out the rotors/drums/pads just yet. But they seem to be REAL touchy, almost like the pad is digging into the rotor. I can feel a shutter in the truck (not so much at the pedal, but the truck itself) when braking. I am pretty sure the rotors are warped.

How are the brakes related to the noise I am hearing, while in reverse?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

The front brakes pads have a wear sensor on them. Depending on which way they were installed, when the pads are worn, you will hear a squealing/squeaking when moving in one direction or the other. (usually in reverse.....)

The whole truck shaking when you step on the brakes suggests your rear shoes are down to the rivets, and they are digging in to the drums. Might wanna have a look at that. Brakes are just a bit important to have working correctly.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
96smokestack
Professional

The front brakes pads have a wear sensor on them. Depending on which way they were installed, when the pads are worn, you will hear a squealing/squeaking when moving in one direction or the other. (usually in reverse.....)

The whole truck shaking when you step on the brakes suggests your rear shoes are down to the rivets, and they are digging in to the drums. Might wanna have a look at that. Brakes are just a bit important to have working correctly.
lol yes, I am taking one step at a time. Well, at least I got a good deal on this truck....or else I would pissed about the water pump, and the brakes, and the axle seal!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:13 PM
96smokestack
Professional

Which reminds me, the wear sensors on the pad are NOT making the same noise as the "whine" I am speaking of. The noise happens as soon as I throw her in reverse, without moving the truck or the breaks. I have heard the breaks squeal, but that sound is distinctively different compared to the tranny noise.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Bam Bam
Default same thing

I have a 1996 ram with the 5.9 and mine does the same thing first thing of the morning it whines in reverse and as soon as you put it in drive it stops.

Quick Reply: tranny regulator valve whining