2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions about running 2 batteries in parallel.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
dimarrco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about running 2 batteries in parallel.

I have been thinking about running another battery in parallel in my 97 ram club cab. Reason being, I run an inverter ,as I travel, for laptop & camera battery charger. While at the same time on a direct switched line,triple car charging adapter, from the batery,I 'm charging a phone, powering an mp3 player,and an fm transmitter(for mp3 player). Now these can be running, all at the same time or none at all. I believe this is putting a strain on my charging system and battery.

Will placing another in parallel to the first help with such a strain? how will this effect the exsisting wiring. what are the pros and cons of doing this?

Dimarrco

Old 02-27-2009, 10:24 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Silver Dodge was talking about at one time taking one of the battery trays out of a diesel to hook up in our trucks so he could run dual batterys. Its a great idea and next time I am in a junkyard, I will be sure to look. As far as how to hook it up, you would go terminal to terminal so you are correct as far as I know to do it parallel. My only other suggestion would be to possibly look into a higher output alternator to help charge the batterys and to keep you afloat since you use so much power. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to run a dedicated line for that inverter with the proper gauge wiring. I have one that plugs into the cig lighter... but I know it also recomends me use the alligator clips on the battery to power most things. Still run your phone charger / fm transmitter etc all through the cig lighter. May cost you a little bit to do it but I would feel safer knowing my stock wiring wasn't going to melt. Wish ya luck!

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 02-27-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:59 AM
TruckinDodge
Professional

The only reason I would run a second battery is for engine off drain the battery in any car or truck is for starting only (some require a battery to satisfy the PCM and stay running).

I would suggest getting a Higher out put ALT. aver a second battery unless you are running these things with the engine off for extended periods. Or maybe a winch that might have a high draw at the start of use. If you are worried about putting a strain on the charging system you are going to be doing the same thing with two batteries as you did with one the ALT must still charge the system while you are drawing the same current. If you are putting a strain on it you will end up with two dead batteries instead of one.

That is just my opinion but I have won many bets by jump starting a truck with no battery and running it all day. The only downside I have heard to that was possible damage to the ALT for lack of load.

I hope this helps.

Chuck

Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Power demand is satisfied by the battery or batteries. The alternator simply keeps the battery in the charged state. I have also performed the "no battery" trick myself on a Dodge van with the old style, voltage regulated electrical system. I wouldn't even think of attempting that with the ECMs in today's trucks, unless I had money to burn.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:13 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

you would want to get a battery isolator for the batteries and have one for startup and one for running equipment, that way if the one running equipment happens to die it wont drain the starting battery, hence you can start the truck, it will charge up the other battery again and there ya go. although, from what I hear you are using, you shouldnt need a 2nd battery, I would almost say that if you think that what you are doing is enough to drain your battery then you need a new battery because yours is no good anymore. I dont even have a 2nd battery in mine yet and I will run my stereo with 2 amps, gps, headlights, and charge my phone all at the same time with the truck not running for almost 2 hours and still be able to start it up. so before you go around trying to figure out how to set up duel batteries find out if your battery is even good anymore and if its enough to run your truck.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Viper37
Banned

All the things you listed are putting *******ly no strain on the battery/charging system. (WHY THE HELL IS THE WORD "V1RTUALLY" CENSORED!?!?!?)

I drive daily with my truck with 8 HID lights, a CB radio, Inverter, Laptop, Radio, GPS, and sometimes my cell phone plugged in, and I don't even have dimming at lights.

You don't need another battery.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran

i run the same as you do.. i have foggers, driving lamps, headlights, cell phone, ipod, fm transmitter, gps, i use a converter that takes 1 power outlet and makes it three.. i have no problems with dimming lights, truck starting or anything of the sort.. i think you should just replace your bat. and be done. you should be fine.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Viper37
Banned

OP, seriously, you don't need to modify your truck in any way for the things you listed.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
ophidia
Captain

But if you want another battery anyway, what the hell. You don't need it but it might be a fun project nonetheless.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by ophidia
But if you want another battery anyway, what the hell. You don't need it but it might be a fun project nonetheless.
Agreed

Quick Reply: Questions about running 2 batteries in parallel.