2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plennum Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 AM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plennum Gasket

I now need a new one......

I don't really want to do this my self so I was going to take it to a shop. I was thinking about taking to the Stealership, but will they put in the new "better" one? or are they just going to change it with another OEM one that will go bad again?

also, what do you think I am looking at for cost on something like this?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They'll put on whatever factory gasket is the current one. I don't know if it's the "papery" one or if they've updated it to be metal like the Fel-Pro one.

I just did this job a couple of weekend ago, and, honestly, it wasn't bad at all. The longest part was cleaning up all of the gasket surfaces and cleaning out the manifold. It was FILTHY.

You could save a lot of money by doing it yourself. Just make sure you have access to an inch-lb and ft-lb torque wrench. Set aside a Saturday for it and go to town.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Old 03-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, even if you have someone do it for you, buy the APS or Highes kit, and have them install that instead.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM
ophidia
Captain

Yep. The gasket kit is about 30 bucks... or the plenum kit is about 80. It's worth the extra 50 bucks. That being said, I'm a hypocrite and only did the gasket :P. When I have to redo it again I'll be able to get it apart and back together in half the time though!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TMS Bill
do these kits come with instructions as well? I have looked over the DIY on this site and I was still a little confused. I think I need pictures.

I can change the oil, brakes, some basic stuff. but there seemed to be a lot that I have never touched before. I want to do it myself but I guess I am just scared I will get the thing torn apart and be screwed or f something up more while I'm in there.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RamWood
do these kits come with instructions as well? I have looked over the DIY on this site and I was still a little confused. I think I need pictures.

I can change the oil, brakes, some basic stuff. but there seemed to be a lot that I have never touched before. I want to do it myself but I guess I am just scared I will get the thing torn apart and be screwed or f something up more while I'm in there.
If you have a torque wrench this procedure could very easily be performed by a novice on a Saturday. By "a Saturday" I mean starting at 9am and finishing up by 3pm at the latest, as I am taking into account the learning curve. Take your time and read the procedure instructions ahead of time (as well as the DIY) and you'll be fine.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how do you find out if this is the problem?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
If you have a torque wrench this procedure could very easily be performed by a novice on a Saturday. By "a Saturday" I mean starting at 9am and finishing up by 3pm at the latest, as I am taking into account the learning curve. Take your time and read the procedure instructions ahead of time (as well as the DIY) and you'll be fine.
Sorry, it takes a little longer then that. It took me about 12 hours total (6 hours one day, 6 the next). That was taking my time and doing it right. No way a novice can be done with a plenum gasket repair in 6 hours.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
Sorry, it takes a little longer then that. It took me about 12 hours total (6 hours one day, 6 the next). That was taking my time and doing it right. No way a novice can be done with a plenum gasket repair in 6 hours.
You're probably right. I had the engine out when I did mine and I was originally going to suggest he could get it done in the span of a weekend.

Quick Reply: Plennum Gasket