2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tax Returns In; The Temptation

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
I agree hometheaterman. There are some things I definitely am proud to have put my money into; such as the complete exhaust system with headers, cold air intake, limo tint, shocks, HIDs, tires, and new headlights and fog lights. But I'm just not going to spend anymore. I refuse to drop big bucks on the rims and tuner I want, it's just stupid. I have a beautiful truck that stands out, runs new, and looks new...I just want to appreciate maintaining it, and begin putting my money towards other things now.
sweet +1

Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tuner can save you money in the long run ... since your thinking long term.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by TMS Bill
The tuner can save you money in the long run ... since your thinking long term.
I don't see this being the case. I didn't notice a gas mileage difference or if I did it was very minimal. So if I saw a .1 mpg increase that will still take quite a long time to pay for itself. I still get around the same give or take that I did before when it comes to gas mileage although I will say me speedo is now correct where as it was 3mph or so off before so maybe I get slightly better.

I am like him though. If I didn't have soo many problems with the cops with the tint I'd do it again. It's one thing I think was worth the money just not worth the hassle and I like it enough it's almost worth that.

The HID's in the Accord are another thing I'd probably do over again. I don't have them in my truck yet and not sure if I ever will.

Other than that I can't think of a ton of things I'd do again. The air filters setup maybe but only because it was soo cheap. It's not much if any better than stock other than making noise from what I can tell.

The muffler I like but I'm not sure I'd do the Magnaflow cat again unless mine had gone bad. stuff like that I'm just not sure I'd do again.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I don't see this being the case. I didn't notice a gas mileage difference or if I did it was very minimal. So if I saw a .1 mpg increase that will still take quite a long time to pay for itself. I still get around the same give or take that I did before when it comes to gas mileage although I will say me speedo is now correct where as it was 3mph or so off before so maybe I get slightly better.
Now I'm sad.

I was gonna use the mileage + to sell the tuner to the wife. I just can't see as much success using the old, "But Sweetie, I can wear the tires out faster" plea.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

All tuners were not created equal though.

I noticed an improvement in my MPGs with the SC 3815, but then again, it wasn't really big. About 1.5-2 MPG with in town driving, and thats with my lead foot keep in mind.

Granted, that little of an improvement takes time to make up the cost of the tuner, but it will eventually.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I've just realized there isn't a whole lot more I can do to this pickup truck that's going to change the amount of looks it gets, or the amount of power it can with a reasonable budget. It doesn't really have anything overly flashy about it, but it has a lot of money put into it with just the little things. I have spent so much money replacing the headlights, fog lights, tail lights, third brake light, antenna, shocks, tires, exhaust(s), headers, intakes, hids, tint...let alone all of the money that goes towards repairs (transmission, starter, rear end, o2 sensor, brakes, coolant flush etc.) The only thing that would drastically change the look of my truck is buying new rims....and the ones I want cost $800 (pro comp extreme alloy 6001). I'd love to buy them because I have the money, but damn, it just isn't worth it. It's not going to get me more girls, and it isn't going to make me money.

I will buy a tuner for cheap if it increases mpgs, and fixes speedo and acknowledges octane. But for performance....that's not even an option. I'm running a stock transmission, and have no desire to visit N.E Transmission until my next servicing.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can gain about 2 mpgs on the SCT economy tune.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:36 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
and power if you want it since its sct

Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
and pinging too if you feel the need. lol and this is a issue that almost every sct user has. its not just here on this forum. its on other forums too. i am not saying it doesnt give the most in performance. cause i think it probably does. havent tried it.pinging is a issue with me that i donnt want to have to deal with for another 5 or 10 hp. and if you are like most, the sct is just way over the top from what you will actually be using. and it is missing a couple features.

and my favorite thing is how everyone recommends it, but few actually have it.

Last edited by talon6; 03-11-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone's pinging isn't magically cured once the winter blend gas moves out. There's also something to be said for your rep that's tuning for you as well. I know plenty of venues here in DFW that run SCT software for Fords, but won't touch a DC vehicle cause they run into the pinging issue. The Dodge PCM's don't tolerate near the slop that the other manufacturors build in. I'll bet there's a lot of slop tuners out there that have thrown their hat in the ring, so to speak. I went with a guy associated with KRC whose been associated with Dodge vehicles for years. They know their stuff.

I would also wager that it's a bit more than 10 ponies it gave me over the Superchips. I don't think you'd notice a mere 10HP driving around and this was a VERY noticeable upgrade. Plus, I can be pretty sure the superchips wasn't really helping the 1.7RR, the headers, the 50mm TB, or the Air Gap I'm running. It'd probably wet the bed when I put the new heads on next week.

I'm not knocking Superchips or Hypertech, I think their one of the the best programers out there for a stock application. A Mopar Performance PCM is better, but you don't get a choice to roll back to 87 octane with that.

Quick Reply: Tax Returns In; The Temptation