2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing chain cover coolant leak

Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh, well I just removed the big bolt very easily with an air impact, but I do not have any bolts holding the pulley on my balancer... nothing. Just a rubber looking seal all the way arounnd it. Is it pressed on there? It is a 2000 5.9.

Well, i supose I will head back out and see if I can use the puller to take it off... just dont want to break anything

Old 04-21-2009, 12:09 PM
01dabram20
Veteran

olyelr, it takes a three jaw puller. I just did mine over the weekend. You just have the one big bolt holding it on which is 1 1/4 socket. pull from the enter lip by the bolt threads.

Last edited by 01dabram20; 04-21-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:00 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 01dabram20
olyelr, it takes a three jaw puller. I just did mine over the weekend. You just have the one big bolt holding it on which is 1 1/4 socket. pull from the enter lip by the bolt threads.

Yep, thanks. I pulled it all off at once (pulley and balancer seem to be one unit on mine) with the 3 jaw puller... went like butter. I left the bolt threaded in partially and screwed the puller bolt on that. Worked great.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 PM
RTEddie

New to the site, but I too am in the middle of changing my water pump on my 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T. Lots of good info here for me to use. Other than the pump, gasket, timing cover gasket, timing chain, radiator hoses, pump to engine hose, o-ring and maybe an oil pan gasket, anything else I need to change out? I don't want to do a complete engine rebuild or many performance mods (trying to conserve some cash), but I'm willing to change what's necessary and makes sense.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Might as well do the Hughes or APS intake pan gasket repair kit too while you got the front half off. Thats what I did when I replaced my water pump.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
something like this is needed when using hand tools. not needed with air wrench.
FYI, you shouldn't use an impact or air wrench on this bolt. It is threaded directly into the crankshaft and the vibrations of an impact or air wrench can damage the crank bearings. It should be loosened with a breaker bar.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:07 PM
RTEddie
Default One step closer....

Well, I'm one step closer to having this massive job done. I got the clutch fan off the old water pump with a big crescent and (thanks to one of the tips I read on here) a strap wrench around the w.p. pulley. Now for the harmonic balancer. Mine had the removable crank pulley (leaving just the balancer). I'm paying careful attention to all the tips here. I hope I can get this off relatively easy.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do not tug on the outer ring of the balancer. If you do, you'll ruin the rubber inner ring that absorbs the crank vibrations. I believe the 5.9s used a 3 jaw puller. My 5.2 uses the same puller you use on a steering wheel.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 AM
RTEddie
Default Harmonic Balancer

Assuming I'm successful in removing this, what's the best way to re-install it? The puller sets I've seen don't seem to have something to put it back on with.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to reinstall the balancer you simply put a light coat of oil or antiseize on the surfaces, line it up with the keyway and get it started. then tap it with a hammer and block of wood. when you get it all the way, or most of the way, put in the big crank bolt and torque the hell out of it. about 135# or something similar.

i haven't read this whole thread, but if you've got timing cover off, be sure and replace the front oil seal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing chain cover coolant leak