2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

going to get true dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:36 AM
suckingashaulinass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to get true dual exhaust

k i have a ? for everyone i have a 99 ram with the 5.9 in it.... it has only one cat. dual in single out....... and what i want to do is put true duals on it. i already bought 2 hi flow cats... but the problem is the mechanic at the exhaust shop said something about the o2 sensors reading a error or something causing the check engine light to come on .. im not sure exactly why but i think it has something to do with having 2 cats now instead of one. what he said he was gonna do is cut the stock cat out behind the first o2 sensor . and then put o2 sensors in the bung on each cat....

so pretty much my question is. can i get true dual (cherry bomb glasspacks) with the hi flow cats w/o fn up the o2 sensors and causing my check engine light to come on??

hopefully you all know what im talkin about and can explain to me if this is possible or not. the mech said he just doesnt want to be responsible for the check engine light to come on

any help would be GREATLY appreciated .. planning to get this put on april 7th

thanks everyone!

MOPAR or NO CAR

Old 03-28-2009, 03:42 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

b4 your cats, put in an x or an h pipe, then put your first o2 sensor in there and the 2nd one put it behind one of your cats........your first o2 reads your a/f ratio and your 2nd just needs to read that your cats are working

Old 03-28-2009, 03:43 AM
suckingashaulinass

so pretty much as long as i dont mess w/ the 1st o2 sensor it should work? i prolly sound dumb but im clueless when it comes to emissions/o2 sensors

Old 03-28-2009, 03:50 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

yeah, you could run true duals, but you would only be reading from one side of your engine, so i would def. put a crossover in, plus itll help with your lowend....you second sensor, you could actually just leave it plugged in and tie it up to your frame and not even worry about putting it in you pipe b/c it would then read that your cats are working

Old 03-28-2009, 05:09 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to be the party pooper here, but if it has a connection between the two pipes, its not true duals.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, and not saying it won't work, just saying.

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
yeah, you could run true duals, but you would only be reading from one side of your engine, so i would def. put a crossover in, plus itll help with your lowend....
Two questions... why would reading from only one side hurt you (unless something is seriously messed up with one side of the engine), and why would it hurt your low end?

you second sensor, you could actually just leave it plugged in and tie it up to your frame and not even worry about putting it in you pipe b/c it would then read that your cats are working
I don't think that will work. If something that simple worked for the second O2 sensor, the Fastman wouldn't need to make O2 sims for them.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

What is with the love affair that some people have with "true duals"?? Where did that stupid term originate? Is it bragging rights to the uneducated?

"It's got true duals."
"My condolences."

"True Duals" are not as efficient as a balanced system. If you're going to do it, do it right. Put an X or an H pipe in it.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:22 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TMS Bill
What is with the love affair that some people have with "true duals"?? Where did that stupid term originate? Is it bragging rights to the uneducated?

"It's got true duals."
"My condolences."

"True Duals" are not as efficient as a balanced system. If you're going to do it, do it right. Put an X or an H pipe in it.
I agree with TMS; before i became a truck owner i owned high performance cars the Mustang GT. When it came to exhaust these Ponies came from the factory with dual exhaust complete with factory headers and no X pipe configuration. When Bassani exhaust systems hit the market in the very late 1990's they had a system with an X pipe. When fitted to the GT these cars screamed out of the block. Then came another system known as the Chambered type. Both systems worked fine however the chamber system worked best with the Flowmaster mufflers and the X pipe worked best with other style mufflers. Dual is dual hell theres 2 pipes coming from each side of the engine and they stay that way all the way back who cares if they are conjoined twins somewhere in the middle. To answer your question regarding the need for 2 O2 sensors a buddy of mine ran 2 O2 sensors 1 one each pipe pre-cat. The muffller shop here in town found a wiring harness for switching a single exhaust system to dual. He never had CEL or issues so you can either by thes SIMS or try the style that was suggested by Dakotas.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:21 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

[quote=jason.w;1607798]Not to be the party pooper here, but if it has a connection between the two pipes, its not true duals.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, and not saying it won't work, just saying.

Two questions... why would reading from only one side hurt you (unless something is seriously messed up with one side of the engine), and why would it hurt your low end?

I don't think that will work. If something that simple worked for the second O2 sensor, the Fastman wouldn't need to make O2 sims for them.[/quote

TRUE duals will hurt your low end..........the o2 thing is just what ive heard, its gonna read that the air is cleaner than the front one just like the nonfouler trick

Old 07-16-2009, 11:32 PM
akerz92

so does any one know if you do put true duals on the truck with out redirecting the 02 sensors will it mess up the truck...like can i just cut off the cat and put a straight piece of pipe and then cherry bombs and y it off with out anything major happening besides the engine lite coming on....

Old 07-16-2009, 11:48 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

this is why i like my 95, only 1 o2 sensor, good thing to, b/c if my cat's heat shield keeps rattling, the damn thing is coming off

Quick Reply: going to get true dual exhaust