2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Modded TB and round air hat installed (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:45 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded TB and round air hat installed (pics)

Hi all,
I slapped my modded TB and a Mopar Performance air hat on my truck yesterday. Didn't go as smoothly as I would have hoped, but it's sorted out for the most part now.

(rant warning) I ran into a problem with the modded throttle body. I took a TB off a '95 318 to use on my '99 360. For some stupid, unknown, useless reason, Holley subtracted 1mm from the diameter of the butterfly shaft rings on the TB somewhere between '95 and '99, so my whole plan of switching out the butterfly shaft went up in smoke. So I was forced to try and make the cable connections for a '95 work on my '99. Well, it didn't work very good and I ended up breaking a piece off of the TV cable. So now, I just have a chunk of wire holding the TV cable on. A replacement TV cable costs $47 from the dealer....$@#*!

Anyway, I ran the truck for a day with the modded TB and the round air hat and it was a huge improvement over the stock setup. Throttle response is a lot better, but the most noticeable difference is how much less petal it takes to keep the truck cruising at 70mph. It feels like the truck is barely working to maintain speed. For the moment I'm running with the round air hat and the stock TB until I can figure out a way to make the modded one work. With the stock TB the whistling/whooshing noise is a LOT worse (I actually had someone ask me if I had a supercharger under the hood), but that's really the only difference I noticed between the stock and modded TB.

A pic of the stock TB and the modded one next to each other...
Name:  DSCN2500.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  59.1 KB

The modded TB (I just milled the top flat)
Name:  DSCN2482.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  77.5 KB

The Mopar Performance air hat
Name:  DSCN2503.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  80.0 KB

Last edited by CSXfan; 03-30-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks sweet.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:46 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

That sucks. Search junk yards for a TV cable. I broke the end off mine few weeks and found it at my favorite local yard. I paid $2 for it. Now you know why its my favorite junk yard.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:30 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when the last time you have done a tune up ??? maybe a clogged cat ??

Old 03-29-2009, 10:04 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that came out REAL clean. Did you have it machined? If you have no luck getting a TV cable, let me know I can get one for you.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
CSXfan
All Star

I used a reciprocating saw to knock off most of it and then a milling machine to take off about 2mm all the way across it. Considering it was my first time on a milling machine, I think it turned out pretty good. But you can see where I messed up a little on the edges by the locating blocks. Oh well. I might take you up on that offer if there isn't anything at the local boneyards. It's gonna be a while before I can even look for one. The wire I'm using right now works surprisingly well and it's a whole lot easier to adjust than the stock adjuster!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 PM
TimSully88
Professional

What are the benefits to this TB mod? I see that a lot of people have been going down that road lately.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Throttle response.

Quick Reply: Modded TB and round air hat installed (pics)