2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body Lift / Add a leaf / coil spacers??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Lift / Add a leaf / coil spacers??????

I was wondering if i put on a add a leaf for the read of my truck would i need new shocks as well.

Also if i put a body lift on will i need new shocks as well

And if i put on coil spacers up front will i need new shocks as well

Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No to all.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

Would a 4 inch AAL need new shocks

I have a 5 inch rough country suspension lift and the rear wasnt lifted as much as the front so i want to add a 4 inch add a leaf and a 2 inch coil spacer for about 7 inch lift an front and around 8 - 8.5 inches which i would rather have the rear up some for when i put stuff in back and ill be doing it myself.....

And someday i will go with the body lift

I will be ordering one thing at a time slowly and adding it all at the same time, more than likely.. maybe the AAL and spacers then body lift. I will need to lenghten the driveshaft after the AAL and Spacers but will not after body lift....

Anyone know around what the cost of getting the driveshaft lenghtened is i know it all depends on where i go but only one place round here does it so i cant really shop around to see......Thanks for any info

Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yea After 3 or so you will need new shocks.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

darn it

Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

they sell kits it like 100 bucks more.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Originally Posted by nathangfnd
I was wondering if i put on a add a leaf for the read of my truck would i need new shocks as well.

Also if i put a body lift on will i need new shocks as well

And if i put on coil spacers up front will i need new shocks as well
Dang you and I must of been thinking the EXACT thing today...I was just about to post or PM this question.

Except I want to do the coil spring replacement from a diesel or v10 instead of coil spacers but other than that we the same. Want to do a 3 inch body lift also and the leaf you mentioned, thanks for asking!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nathangfnd
Would a 4 inch AAL need new shocks

I have a 5 inch rough country suspension lift and the rear wasnt lifted as much as the front so i want to add a 4 inch add a leaf and a 2 inch coil spacer for about 7 inch lift an front and around 8 - 8.5 inches which i would rather have the rear up some for when i put stuff in back and ill be doing it myself.....

And someday i will go with the body lift

I will be ordering one thing at a time slowly and adding it all at the same time, more than likely.. maybe the AAL and spacers then body lift. I will need to lenghten the driveshaft after the AAL and Spacers but will not after body lift....

Anyone know around what the cost of getting the driveshaft lenghtened is i know it all depends on where i go but only one place round here does it so i cant really shop around to see......Thanks for any info

Welp, since you already have a 5" suspension lift, I am going to say that you may need new shocks and you may not, it depends how much travel the shocks for the lift already have. About the only way to know for sure is to install the spacers/AAL and then flex the truck out and measure for shocks.

The 5" lift components (trackbar/control arms) will be maxed out with the 2" coil spacers, and the ride quality will suffer. Upgrading to a long arm setup would be a great addition.

Also, I have seen several people run the stock drive shafts with 8" of lift. Again, about all you can do is install the lift and then measure to make sure. Your stocker may be just fine though.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

What if he put a tcase drop kit in it might help with the driver shafts?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

yeah. i was going to order whatever seems to be the right thing to do. i want more lift but for a small price tag just like everyone else. its mostly for looks and fun. no rock crawling and very very very little mud. i just like lifted trucks im not the only one.

Im going to talk to one of the local lift guys and see what he says but i was thinking
Skyjacker Add a leaf and front coil spacers. i got lift blocks and going to leave them and add the leafs but dunno if the u bolts will work
I will lift then find out if the rear driveshaft works or not then lengthen it from there.

The tcase drop kit??? When i look online it always just gives me a tcase indexing ring...Same thing? looks like it pushes the tcase or front driveshaft forward into the front axle??? is this correct

Quick Reply: Body Lift / Add a leaf / coil spacers??????