2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Garrett T3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garrett T3 Turbo

I got an offer for a Garrett T3 Turbo for $100 bucks. Do you think it'd be worth it? I know I'd have to fabricate it into my current setup... Just curious.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
TurboABA
Professional

Would it be worth it for what? And what setup are you talking about? Are you saying you want to run that on your RAM? Do you know anything about turbocharging a motor?

Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 PM
helms
All Star

a single T3 is a little small for a 360, you will cause a fairly large exhaust restriction using it. measure it though, im just starting to get into turbo stuff so my knowledge is limited. for the most part, i only see people using twin T3/T4s on small block stuff, so that would make me think the impellor wouldnt handle that much exhaust.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:43 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I think STS uses a single turbo in their Ram V8 kits.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 PM
TurboABA
Professional

First of all, T3 is a family of turbos, not a specific one. You'll need more info about it.
There's a LOT to turbocharging a motor.... not just the "bolting on the turbocharger" part.

Have you thought about how you will be handling the extra fuel requirement? Plumbing? Intercooled? Is the turbo oil & water cooled or only oil? There's a million other things to consider.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:40 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Wow. I guess I'm not getting it lol. I have no idea of the shape or anything, and I'd prolly end up having to fabricate so much crap that'd I'd end up spending enough to purchase a new one huh? It was just a thought considering he was selling it for $100; didn't think I'd ever find a deal like that again. Thanks y'all. But, I would like to learn more about super or turbo charging, for future reference...Any info for THAT would be appreciated

Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
TurboABA
Professional

Read some of this
http://genesisforums.org/engine-turb...tutorials.html

You're in WAY over your head.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Holy shi...cow...I wouldn't even know what I was doing lol. Just curious though, has anyone ever turboed a gas Ram?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM
ekg0779

Endisnear- There are a BILLION different things about charging a engine other than having the turbo... as you could tell by turboABA's post. STS is offering a kit to do a "hidden" turbo kit for these trucks, but they are expensive and not very efficient. Example, a turbo actually gets the power to boost from the exhaust heat and flow, these turbos are setup right before the muffler, so the lose A LOT of heat, which will under power them. So a t3 is most likely way to small inlet/outlet diameter. I am a turbo diesel tech, for a Garrett supplier and get these at cost, and have been fooling around with the idea of turbo charging my 2012 ram 1500, even for me this will cost a penny or 3...lol. If you are really interested in charging your gas engine try one of these 2 models, GT3071 the smallest one i would try, or the GT3582, both of which are water/oil cooled. Not to beat a dead horse, but you still have piping, after cooler/intercooler, tune, wastegate/blow off valve, gauges, intake and exhaust to deal with and map out. As far as the fueling or over boosting goes, the ECM when tuned will be able to handle the extra HP created in terms of fuel as long as the boost is kept in a range I have figured to be 10-15 psi. The engine itself will be fine either way @ 11.5-1c.r. But again, your in way to deep from what I can tell, although I'm sure you can call my shop and we'd be glad to fabricate it up for ya...lol

Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Four and a half year old thread?

Quick Reply: Garrett T3 Turbo