2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

body lift install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009 | 11:10 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Need new control arms now. Im sure u saw the few on ps.com?

Old 04-05-2009 | 11:21 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Need new control arms now. Im sure u saw the few on ps.com?
Who, me? Ive been running this setup for over 9 years now without a single problem. I'm not getting new control arms until I piece together a completely new kit, and it will be with long arms.

Old 04-05-2009 | 11:34 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Originally Posted by olyelr
Who, me? Ive been running this setup for over 9 years now without a single problem. I'm not getting new control arms until I piece together a completely new kit, and it will be with long arms.
Yes you lol. Well Thats good to know but they are close to the max?

Old 04-06-2009 | 02:24 AM
TIMIDONE
|
All Star

2 add leafs...2 for each side or just 2 for back and one on each side? my buddy said get the long add leafs?!? it would be as stiff he said?!?

The spring I am gonna get, actually tomorrow, is from a 1998 V10...so 3 inches of lift? It is at the wrecking place for $50...btw should I replace my shocks or will they top out?

Old 04-06-2009 | 08:14 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TIMIDONE
2 add leafs...2 for each side or just 2 for back and one on each side? my buddy said get the long add leafs?!? it would be as stiff he said?!?

The spring I am gonna get, actually tomorrow, is from a 1998 V10...so 3 inches of lift? It is at the wrecking place for $50...btw should I replace my shocks or will they top out?

I have 2 add-a-leafs per side, and yes it it quite stiff (though it matches the front pretty well ). If I had it to do over again I would probably just get a 2" single add-a-leaf and be done with it.

You should gain somewhere around 3" of lift with those springs from what I understand. On my truck, I couldn't even drive down a road with a few quick elevation changes in it or the stock front shocks would top out (with quite a bang I might add). From ride height, I think I measured less than 2" of up-travel before the stockers topped out... I definitely needed new ones, and you most likely will too. The rears were fine, but I got those anyway too.

Although I'm sure you know already know, the ride is going to be much stiffer than the stock setup (due to the stiffer springs as well as the steeper control arm angle). But personally I like it better. The stock setup is to dang soft IMO.

Old 04-06-2009 | 08:20 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Yes you lol. Well Thats good to know but they are close to the max?

Oh yeah, they are definitely pretty well maxed out... but like I said, they have been working just fine for so long that it is hard to argue with it being wrong. Honestly, not only is everything completely stock (steering stuff, control arms, trackbar, bushings etc.), but it is actually the ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT the truck came with (has not been replaced yet), and its amazingly in fairly decent shape yet at 160k miles!

Now balljoints, thats a different story They have been replaced quite regularly (I don't think they have liked those 12" wide wheels all these years).

Old 04-06-2009 | 10:42 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Oh yeah, they are definitely pretty well maxed out... but like I said, they have been working just fine for so long that it is hard to argue with it being wrong. Honestly, not only is everything completely stock (steering stuff, control arms, trackbar, bushings etc.), but it is actually the ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT the truck came with (has not been replaced yet), and its amazingly in fairly decent shape yet at 160k miles!

Now balljoints, thats a different story They have been replaced quite regularly (I don't think they have liked those 12" wide wheels all these years).
Yea I think mine needs ball joints or something thats going to cost a lot of $$$. Want to come do my lift? Jk lol. That pretty good for 160K nock on wood. Tom is going to be a lot of money fix the front end and get inspected and emissions.

Old 04-07-2009 | 01:49 AM
TIMIDONE
|
All Star

What shocks would you recommend? I am gathering information for now...I got off work early to buy those V10 springs from the wrecking place...problem was they went and checked the rig and said it came from an engine fire so didn't recommend or knew the damage to the coil springs...

@!(*#&$ at least I should be happy they were honest! So what shocks and can anyone recommend a site to purchase V10 shocks from and/or add leafs (2" per your suggestion).

Old 04-07-2009 | 02:14 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion

So just out of curiousity what would 2 V-10 coils (brand new) cost me
and what about 4 1 inch add a leafs?

I might do this to hold myself off for the day when I can afford the sky jacker 7" long arm kit.

Old 04-07-2009 | 02:21 AM
TIMIDONE
|
All Star

New?!?! no idea...hoping someone would post that! but used (junk yard) I've seen as low as $50 for a set to below $100...for coil springs!

Add leafs...my buddy tell me about $60..he didn't mention if that was 2 inch one or 1 inch one but said GET the long version...much easier to put on from his experience.

Quick Reply: body lift install